Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Technical / Performance / Maintenance / Help > N/A Forum

Notices

N/A Forum Naturally aspirated technical forum

Old 23-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
TYSON
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 gts plus E36 RB25DET project
Club ID#: 19983

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
RB20e Turbo

hi all,

2 questions:

can you please point me in the direction of rb20e turbo projects as i am struggling to find any

secondly, does anyone know roughly what people are managing to get out of them.

I am familiar with rb25dets etc but know little about my rb20e other than it gets a lot of bad press lol. Any ho I am going to turbo it so just wanted to do as much research as poss as all the ones I have seen converted are rb20de.

cheers

ps please dont say just fit an rb25det as that would be to easy
TYSON is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 23-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
hesh
confused.com

Drives: Toyota Hilux surf 3.0 in blue and rust
Club ID#: 8636

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (12)

View My Pictures
Vehicles
have alook at the nissan rb30et that was in a few patrols a number of years back. may be of some use.

someone supercharged an rb20e a whiles ago..using a supercharger from a mini, but i dunno how that went.

personaly as its a single cam i'd loook at keeping it NA and doing things like gettinga new camshaft made with more duration and lift. without the twin cam set up[ its gonna be more expensive to sort out the timning and what not, anbd the sOHC isnt as flexible in set up options for over lap etc

it'll be an intersting car, different fromthe norm and sound aswesome. ...
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hesh1138
EAdevelopements mow has a Facebook page too!
hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
The Great White
Everybody knows that the bird is the word

Drives: R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 23737

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Vehicles
With less than 100kw in stock form, its hard to justify spending money 'doing up' a 20E.....
The exhaust manifold will be the hardest thing to find (twin cam RB manifold is different), the VL-t (VL Holden turbo) also had an RB30ET so there is another option.... but good luck finding any, the car is rare as hell, let alone finding parts for one of them! Otherwise its a custom made manifold and to do one of the right will set you back big $$$.

You're struggling to find any info because people don't like throwing money away
Gains will be minimal for maximum effort and cost..... there are no mass produced, off the shelf parts.

If you spend an equal amount of money modifying a 20/25DET and a 20E, I know what one will produce more power.
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
The Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
TYSON
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
lol thats exactly what I wanted to hear ie not many people have done it. I 100% wouldnt do this if I didnt have loads of bits laying around as I know theres no point if i was spending however I like to be different and it will only really cost me time.
thanks for the info re the manifold, are the miles out? I enjoy fabrication so will try and get hold of an old top mount and make it fit. Already making a start on making my gtr plenum fit, not 100% sure if I will also use the ITB's as I dont want to get to carried away.

If anyone else knows of any build threads please let me know
TYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
The Great White
Everybody knows that the bird is the word

Drives: R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 23737

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Vehicles
While I can't shoot you down for wanting to be slightly different to the rest, if you're real keen on modifying a single cam RB, why not start with the right foundation (to maximise bang for buck) - a 3 litre block. Larger displacement + turbo =
I'm not sure about your part of the world, but the RB30E is a very very common engine here, most commonly found in VL Holden and R31 Skyline. Building a 30ET over a 20ET will give you soooo much more torque and it may end up being competitive with a 25DET

...and if all else fails, you can bolt an R32 RB25DE head onto the RB30 block, add a turbo + a few other bits.... then you have a RB30DET which is a 25DET killer (twin cam is obviously not really what your wanting, but its another avenue)
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
The Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
TYSON
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
you lcuky git didnt realise where abouts in the world you are. I have an rb30 with a gtr head to go on it but my experience is limited and they arent as cheap hear so im learning on the little na for now. Costs me nothing and I learn loads. Once I finish uni then its rb30det allll they way

just about to order my megasquirt kit cant wait to get cracking.

Surely though someone must have done something with one of these engines??

doubt anything will arrive until after xmas but as soon as it does will post pics and undoubtdley ask loads of questions
TYSON is offline   Reply With Quote