Importing Skylines to the United States - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
FLGTR
Seasoned Member

Drives: Soon to be an R33
Club ID#: 12537

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Importing Skylines to the United States

READ FIRST: Anyone having any additional Info that I have not included, please PM me and I will add it accordingly.

Alright, so I searched the threads and didn't find any on this topic, so I thought I would start one. This topic will consist of:

Importing a Skyline to the United States, eBay, Autotrader, and similar car website SCAMS from private sellers. Questioning the legality of a Skyline you are considering for purchase, and how to read into Skyline chassis codes (so you arent buying a "GTR" to only receive a GTS).

From one of my last posts about buying a possible Skyline for an amazing price, I performed quite a bit of research and have found out alot about the Nissan Skyline, its importation to the U.S. (through Motorex and other means) and issues with "grey" imported Skylines in the states.

Importing a Nissan Skyline. Some say it's impossible to import and have a Nissan Skyline Federalized (i.e. 100%, 48 State Legal) these days after Motorex went under. However, After extensive research of NHTSA and DOT dockets and petitions, ANY R33 GTS-GTR Skylines manufactured between January 1996-June 1998 are ELIGIBLE for importation into the US (website REF: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...elig010807.pdf ).

The reason why the NHTSA rescinded a good part of the legal importation of Sklines were due to the fact some safety features on the R32's and early R33's weren't standard. And the R32 and R34's were listed under the the R33 crash tests, and Nissan sent information to the NHTSA stating that upon the changes in models, so did the chassis. In order for certain R32 and R34's to be legally imported again, they must first be sacrificed to crash tests, as motorex did with the R33's
(website REF: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p83/374325.pdf )

As far as I know, you can still legally import and federalize Skyline R33's into the states through an Registered Importer. you can find and contact RI's through the NHTSA website, or you can be lazy and go straigh to this link here:
(http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...list010807.htm )

The ONLY OTHER WAY TO BUY A 100% LEGAL, FEDERALIZED, NISSAN SKYLINE IS TO BUY A SKYLINE THAT WAS IMPORTED BY MOTOREX, OR A MOTOREX SKYLINE THAT WAS PURCHASED THROUGH RBmotoring.

ALL Motorex/RBmotoring Skylines have new VINS and should come will all DOT, NHTSA, and bond release documents. If they don't, you can always call the DOT and give them the VIN on the Skyline and they will tell you then and there if it is a federalized skyline.

Federalized skylines are the only TRUE and LEGAL Skylines in the U.S that are permissable to drive on US roadways.

There are Skylines that have made it into the states without going through motorex, and if you buy one, and drive it on the road, you are taking a big risk of getting the car deported or crushed. These cars were brought in as "Kit cars" and are grey market imports, they are ways to circumvent the DOT, NHTSA, and EPA laws governming over imported vehicles, and if they catch you, it will DEPORTED or CRUSHED at your expense.

Yes some come with US titles and registrations, I know for a fact the state of florida, as well as many other states, do not have strict emmissions or registration laws for imported vehicles, and you can get them titled and registered, and even insured. But if you EVER take it to a state that has more laws, they can catch you and report you, and thats bad. how bad you want a skyline and how much you are willing to risk, is up to you.

To date, theres only about 120 or so FEDERALIZED Skylines in the states, so finding one may not be easy, or cheap. But I personally would much rather invest in a sure thing, then risk paying a few thousand less and get it deported.

eBay, Autotrader, and the like: (SCAMS):

the biggest scam i have seen to date with Skylines, is people posing like they own the car, and telling you to go through a third party escrow service to "hold the money for you" until "you receive the car" and then once you check it out, you "release the funds to the owner" deal complete right? wrong

they set up a fake escrow business that they say they have used for years and are a trusted company, you wire the money to them, and they can pick up the funds anywhere in the world in minutes.. no refund. so be careful.

number one rule about buying a car, is always set up a way to make sure its legit. pay in person, after inspecting the car IN PERSON, or send funds through a secured and INSURED method. always talk and make sure its legit. do carfax vehicle reports on vins, and with skylines, call DOT and make sure it is a legal skyline.

also make sure tis what they say it is.. you dont wanna send money to a guy claiming its a GTR only to recieve a GTS! heres how you tell.. VINS on skyline look alot like this: BNR34-00132

Here are the Codes to decypher SKYLINE VIN numbers:

MOTOR CODES

F = CA18
H = RB20
E = RB25
B = RB26
C = Super HICAS
N = Atessa
R = Chassis

CHASSIS CODES

R32's
-FR -- GX-i
-HR -- GTE
-HCR -- GTS
-HNR -- GTS-4
-ECR -- GTS25
-BNR -- GTR

R33's
-ER -- GTS25
-HR -- GTS
-ECR -- GTS25t
-ENR -- GTS-4
-BCNR -- GTR

R34's
-ER -- GT25
-HR -- GT
-ECR -- GT-t
-ENR -- GT-FOUR
-BNR -- GTR

If theres anything else in here you think I should add. PM me and i'll add it if it pertains to the topic. Also, if this could be made a sticky, that would be great.
FLGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
CashOverAss
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 Skyline gtst
Club ID#: 11988

View My Pictures
Good post. I currently drive a r33 registered, titled and insured in the state of florida. i have had no problems yet, but knock on wood. I did purchase this care from someone else in florida who did all the leg work, but i would LOVE to own another skyline (r33 gtr or r34) next and think it would be cheaper, more fun, and a learning experience if i bring one in and title it my self.
Any information on physically getting the car through the port, and getting a title for it, would be appreciated.
CashOverAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
CashOverAss
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Also, i know one particular importer here in florida that has gotten pretty popular has a reputation for bringing in crashed skylines and fixing them up. While you obviously can not do a car fax, you can have a certified appraiser check to make sure the car seems to be in good shape.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
EvilR33
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33-sold R34coming
Club ID#: 10875

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashOverAss View Post
Also, i know one particular importer here in florida that has gotten pretty popular has a reputation for bringing in crashed skylines and fixing them up. While you obviously can not do a car fax, you can have a certified appraiser check to make sure the car seems to be in good shape.
Are you talking about the (skylineking ?) Skylineking.com I wondered about that guy and his cars. i see most of them he has were pretty beat up looking.
EvilR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
EvilR33
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
I know for a fact, if you drive a Skyline on the road anywhere in the US and get into a bad auto accident you will be arrested and held liable. its happend already. and the insurance company can drop you and not pay because your driving an illegal car not DOT approved for the highways.

And as far as grey area importing into the US...Well i know a way to get around all of this paying some importer (RI) way too much money to convert a car you paid 8k for and then they want to charge you 20k to convert it. because there are no rules on what they can charge for parts and labor. It actually works, has worked and still does work for bringing them in. Im sure 2% of people know about this. its somewhat of a hassle but does work. I wont offer this info for everyone to see, it cost me a couple of thousand to figure it out the hard way. But if your seriously interested i might consider working something out with anyone. I think some US company should start bringing them all over and legalizing all of them and sell them, they would make a killing if you could find them to buy and finance here in the states.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
bvemanta
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 13578

View My Pictures
I was considering moving back to the states and was wondering about taking my skyline r34gtt with me Are the rules any different for a car that you already have owned and driven overseas? and does anyone know how difficult it is to get a car back to the US from the UK?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
EvilR33
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvemanta View Post
I was considering moving back to the states and was wondering about taking my skyline r34gtt with me Are the rules any different for a car that you already have owned and driven overseas? and does anyone know how difficult it is to get a car back to the US from the UK?

Myabe can contact this guy on his site, he's notorious for importing skylines in and getting around certain problems it seems. Skylineking.com
It a real pain bringing the skylines into the US. Good luck!
Old 25-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
BLKSTR32
Seasoned Member

Drives: 94GTR
Club ID#: 7862

Country Flag

View My Pictures
as far as getting in a wreck and being arrested and held liable and what not, that is not true. my friend who has done my importing is completely legit and i have had full coverage ins on all three skylines that i have owned here in the US...i was actually in an accident with my R33 GTST and i was hit by an uninsured driver and my insurance company covered the whole thing, you just have to have a stated amount you want the coverage on...progressive is the best and easiest ins company to go thru to insure a skyline. they didnt even think twice about cutting me a check for 45k for my totalled skyline so i was happy
BLKSTR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
csar60
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1991 R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 11212

View My Pictures
45k for a r33? damn, i bet u didn't feel too bad about wrecking the car atter they wrote u that check
Old 25-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
BLKSTR32
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
hell know, i made alot of money off that car i had it insured for way more than i had in it, the insurance companies have no idea what the cars are worth, cause there is no blue book value on the car, so you just tell them how much you want covered, the more you cover the more you pay a month but def payed off for me
Old 26-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #11
CashOverAss
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
yo. where in florida are you. im in fort lauderdale
Old 26-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
BLKSTR32
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I am in Melbourne i have a couple friends that live in ft lauderdale
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
edthemanjp
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 11974

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilR33 View Post
And as far as grey area importing into the US...Well i know a way to get around all of this paying some importer (RI) way too much money to convert a car you paid 8k for and then they want to charge you 20k to convert it. because there are no rules on what they can charge for parts and labor. It actually works, has worked and still does work for bringing them in. Im sure 2% of people know about this. its somewhat of a hassle but does work. I wont offer this info for everyone to see, it cost me a couple of thousand to figure it out the hard way. But if your seriously interested i might consider working something out with anyone. I think some US company should start bringing them all over and legalizing all of them and sell them, they would make a killing if you could find them to buy and finance here in the states.
No, no, no who writes the importation laws for imports, DOT/NHTSA. If you do not go through them, then you've bypassed them, and imported a vehicle illegally. If you import a vehicle and use methods to bypass the NHTSA you've defrauded the Government and are a customs violation.
edthemanjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
dj_hype
drunk drifter

Drives: 94 R33 GTS-T
Club ID#: 8835

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthemanjp View Post
No, no, no who writes the importation laws for imports, DOT/NHTSA. If you do not go through them, then you've bypassed them, and imported a vehicle illegally. If you import a vehicle and use methods to bypass the NHTSA you've defrauded the Government and are a customs violation.
i don't think he said it was as legal as going through the NHTSA. the fact is that I have NEVER heard of a car getting seized AFTER it made it through customs and was registered. there are many more of these cars on the streets than most US people think. and the government knows this. if they don't they are more blind than I ever thought they were.

my car has been "illegally" registered and insured for over a year and (knock on wood) the EPA/NHTSA/DOT hasn't busted down my door and taken my car from me. from freshalloy, a detective investigating the Hiro/MotoRex fiasco said he doesn't think the DOT/NHTSA/EPA is going to start busting down doors. the biggest risk lies in when they come into port. after that, it's all downhill.
dj_hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
broph99

Drives: Skyline R32 GTR
Club ID#: 11906

Country Flag

View My Pictures
That same detective said that he would seize a car that was illegally imported if he were to come across one. I just would not put it out there for everyone to see. You have the car, it would be a wise choice to keep it on the low down if it were illegally imported.

http://www.myspace.com/brophytm
broph99 is offline   Reply With Quote