Bloody BT..............! - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Off Topic > Lounge > Do you know what really grinds my gears?

Do you know what really grinds my gears? No, tell us, we really want to know!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Bloody BT..............!

Grrr! had no land-line/broadband since yesterday afternoon, report to BT and get told that its been noted and it wont be back on until Monday!!!!!!!!!!

I am guessing that they haven't had sufficient fault reports to get anyone out quickly, we have an antiquated box at the end of our village, containing a nightmare birds nest of wiring, I don't think anyone has bothered to even try and sort it for years, and they are putting it off until the fiber optic conversion late next year,
The trouble is that every time somebody reports a fault, some useless twat goes in there and buggers about, fixes one fault and creates another, and so it goes on!

Sorry rant over.

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is online now   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 20867

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
Grrr! had no land-line/broadband since yesterday afternoon, report to BT and get told that its been noted and it wont be back on until Monday!!!!!!!!!!

I am guessing that they haven't had sufficient fault reports to get anyone out quickly, we have an antiquated box at the end of our village, containing a nightmare birds nest of wiring, I don't think anyone has bothered to even try and sort it for years, and they are putting it off until the fiber optic conversion late next year,
The trouble is that every time somebody reports a fault, some useless twat goes in there and buggers about, fixes one fault and creates another, and so it goes on!

Sorry rant over.
http://www.mobileshop.com/blog/wp-co...hone-story.bmp Obviously not your favourite fella at the moment TR..!
Poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

Drives: Spec 1 GTS25t
Club ID#: 25144

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Drive into it and flatten it, they'll have no choice but to replace it then. ;)

I know there's normally plenty of work on for us to do, but were you given an appointment, or just told that we'd fix it by Monday? If it's the latter, we could even get sent out tomorrow once we run out of appointments. But yeah, it pisses us off when cabinets are left in a state too, but they don't give us the budget or even time to put them right normally. Happens all over the country unfortunately.

So run over it.
StuartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: '97 R33 GTST
Club ID#: 15756

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (27)

View My Pictures
Don't get me started on BT and their services...... as an ex employee I certainly can tell you they couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery! They outsoruce everything.... even half of their moblie workforce are contractors.

My problem is their claimed speeds..... Infinity 2 80/20meg now, at my folks house, with their old 50 year's or more copper they are achieving the full speed, from an exchange that is over 1.5 miles away..... Now at my Girlfriends house which is only 10 years old and the exchange is less than 1 mile away, she is only obtaining 27meg down and 7meg up.

We've had 3 BT engineers here and despite them managing 32meg for 3 weeks, it's now back down to below 30...... and they cannot give me an actual answer why! LOL
niz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Central Scotland Area Rep

Area Rep

Drives: r33 skyline
Club ID#: 28496

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
virgin media thats all im saying

after a few teething probs when i first signed up and a couple of bill cock ups been hastle free for nearly 5 years
Old 15-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyballs View Post
Don't get me started on BT and their services...... as an ex employee I certainly can tell you they couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery! They outsoruce everything.... even half of their moblie workforce are contractors.

My problem is their claimed speeds..... Infinity 2 80/20meg now, at my folks house, with their old 50 year's or more copper they are achieving the full speed, from an exchange that is over 1.5 miles away..... Now at my Girlfriends house which is only 10 years old and the exchange is less than 1 mile away, she is only obtaining 27meg down and 7meg up.

We've had 3 BT engineers here and despite them managing 32meg for 3 weeks, it's now back down to below 30...... and they cannot give me an actual answer why! LOL
As a current employee I can tell you they just haven't sent the right engineer yet. ;)

I have 80/20 at my house with no issue, but then I put it in instead of those bloody contractors! Do you have any pictures of how things are currently plugged in, know your sync speed, noise margin, attenuation, etc?
Old 15-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty0785 View Post
virgin media thats all im saying

after a few teething probs when i first signed up and a couple of bill cock ups been hastle free for nearly 5 years
I am just biding my time until they get the fiber optics in, and then its by by BT and sky, and hello Virgin.

And you lot moan about 30mb download, you should try 6 !!!!!!!!

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You sure you can even get virgin in your area mate? From your description of your area it sounds like you're not in a largely built up area, and a bit of a distance from the exchange if you're only getting 6mb? If so, chances are virgin won't even have any network where you are. They'd still take your money for a line and broadband, but it'd still be using the BT network so no further forward. I've heard they aren't any better to deal with either. Luck of the draw really, depends on your location and if you have to repeatedly deal with them. The same can be said for all of them of course, but that's why I'm in a job.

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-05-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 15-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I'll just put this here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400178115713.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	63838

Virgin doesn't normally come close, and in areas with FTTP we get people 330mb down and 30mb up!

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-05-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 15-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartTheFish View Post
You sure you can even get virgin in your area mate? From your description of your area it sounds like you're not in a largely built up area, and a bit of a distance from the exchange if you're only getting 6mb? If so, chances are virgin won't even have any network where you are. They'd still take your money for a line and broadband, but it'd still be using the BT network so no further forward. I've heard they aren't any better to deal with either. Luck of the draw really, depends on your location and if you have to repeatedly deal with them. The same can be said for all of them of course, but that's why I'm in a job.
I thought that Virgin used fiber optics to supply their TV and broadband package? we are literally 1-1'5 mls away from an exchange, only 3 mls outside Kings Lynn, and the BT FO changeover schedule says late 2015.

I think most of our problems come from the devil box ate the end of the road, going to have to bribe one of the big sand trucks that use this road to err accidentally nudge it.;)

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #11

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
I thought that Virgin used fiber optics to supply their TV and broadband package? we are literally 1-1'5 mls away from an exchange, only 3 mls outside Kings Lynn, and the BT FO changeover schedule says late 2015.

I think most of our problems come from the devil box ate the end of the road, going to have to bribe one of the big sand trucks that use this road to err accidentally nudge it.;)
Only in built up areas where they've put their own cables under the ground, but they only use fibre for a bit of it, and the rest is coax. Whereas we use fibre to the cabinet and it then use the phone wiring from there to the customer. Obviously, the closer to the cabinet the better. We do offer fibre all the way too in some areas, so you never know...

For now, if you're only a mile or two away from the exchange (not the cabinet), then you should be able to get more than 6mb. Before it got knocked off, what was your connection speed, etc? Got adsl filters everywhere you should? A crap cabinet can obviously cause problems though, especially now we let contractors in them too.

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1997 Stagea RS4 Dayz
Club ID#: 41657

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (4)

View My Pictures
My FO died a few weeks back - when I finally got a BT engineer out he found that someone round the corner had just had FO installed, and in setting up their line, whoever set them up had disconnected my FO along with about 3-4 others!
mowgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #13

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgs View Post
My FO died a few weeks back - when I finally got a BT engineer out he found that someone round the corner had just had FO installed, and in setting up their line, whoever set them up had disconnected my FO along with about 3-4 others!
Yep, happens a lot, good old contractors. Each pair of wires is numbered, but it seems they can't count too well, nor can they be arsed to connect anything back up again if they realise that's not their pair that they've just cut into.

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-05-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1997 Stagea RS4 Dayz
Club ID#: 41657

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (4)

View My Pictures
That's pretty much word for word what engineer said Lol.

For various reasons had engineers out 5-6 times in last 6 months or so and can def tell if they're BT or not!
mowgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #15
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Area Rep

Drives: A Silver one.
Club ID#: 12835

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Ive tried them all and virgin have been the best, the customer service is excellent they have upgraded me twice with another free upgrade at Christmas to 100mb.
endallwar is offline   Reply With Quote