so called tuning companies - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Off Topic > Lounge > Do you know what really grinds my gears?

Do you know what really grinds my gears? No, tell us, we really want to know!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Keon
  • 1 Post By 6Boost
  • 2 Post By igralec
  • 1 Post By 6Boost
  • 1 Post By DazzaGTRVspec

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: skyline r33 gts-t specII 40th annversary mr
Club ID#: 24344

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Angry so called tuning companies

well like the title says, what grinds my gears are a lot of tuning companies ripping off skyline owners just because we own and drive skylines.
im not on here that much because im really getting fed up of the cowboys calling them selfs tuners
first and formost have you idots ever thought this lad/lass has saved up to get their dream car? no!!!!
a lot of tuneing companies just see us as a quick buck.
ill give you an example:
i went to some time ago to a well known tuning company to replace my OME exhaust manifold with a new (second hand one). once they did the change they said you will have to come back to have your turbo flange skimmed coz it will not sit proper on your new manifold.
on the odd chance i mechanic mate of mine had a look and said thats strange!!!!!
your manifold hasnt been tighten up correctly
so after he did that the pride and joy was back, funny thing is he works for a main dealership and said the basics of a car are ALL the same and was shocked a so called tuning compay did that! now im not sure who to send my baby to now coz im worried ill get ripped off again.
dont help either im trying to save up money for a depoist for a house with the future wife.
and companies selling upgrades for are skylines are just as bad.
so my rant is over lol hope you guys and girls have a good day.
andrew.81 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 32 GTR
Club ID#: 49158

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Well at least it wasn't on a Monday haha
andrew.81 likes this.
Ken Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTST & 200SX S13
Club ID#: 40166

View My Pictures
Only thing I can say is pick your choice of workshop more carefully lol

As for parts I will be the first to admit we dont generally go for "cheap". Its just not worth it. This is due to 99% of the cheap stuff you find on Ebay being poor quality or not lasting. We always offer the best quality part at the best price we can. Everything we do has a long lifespan, is proven to be reliable and perform. You wont find any of our parts breaking within 6 months or causing running issues lol In the long term investing in good quality parts does work out to be cheaper as they dont constantly need replacing or lead to running issues.

From reading your post its not uncommon for a lot of the cheap stainless manifolds to have warped flanges, personally though if you had brought it to the workshop here we would either look at it and if its poor quality advised to not fit it or if you insisted on having it fitted would have skimmed the flange first. Sounds a bit strange to fit it knowing its warped and THEN tell you it needs to come off again to skim! lol

If you want to pop down to the workshop here sometime for a chat and check the place out let us know. I can show you around and show you some of the previous jobs.
andrew.81 likes this.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1.8T
Club ID#: 34048

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I thought this was going to be a thread about companies selling 2nd hand parts for 3+ times the price of private sales
andrew.81 and StuartTheFish like this.
igralec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Boost View Post
Only thing I can say is pick your choice of workshop more carefully lol

As for parts I will be the first to admit we dont generally go for "cheap". Its just not worth it. This is due to 99% of the cheap stuff you find on Ebay being poor quality or not lasting. We always offer the best quality part at the best price we can. Everything we do has a long lifespan, is proven to be reliable and perform. You wont find any of our parts breaking within 6 months or causing running issues lol In the long term investing in good quality parts does work out to be cheaper as they dont constantly need replacing or lead to running issues.

From reading your post its not uncommon for a lot of the cheap stainless manifolds to have warped flanges, personally though if you had brought it to the workshop here we would either look at it and if its poor quality advised to not fit it or if you insisted on having it fitted would have skimmed the flange first. Sounds a bit strange to fit it knowing its warped and THEN tell you it needs to come off again to skim! lol

If you want to pop down to the workshop here sometime for a chat and check the place out let us know. I can show you around and show you some of the previous jobs.
hi 6boost, ive been looking at your website and im rather impressed with what i see. in terms of my manifold i some how managed to crack my OEM one and replaced it with another OEM one and thats when they said you need your turbo flange skimmed to make it fit proper. i would like a TUBLER exhaust manifold but of course ive heard loads of horror stories so i stuck with the ome one.
what upsets me most is ive had my skyline for just over 6 years and she still isnt where i want her to be.
my wish list for my baby is to hit the 450 bhp mark
gtr r33 front and rear bermbo brake system
a bigger and better spooling turbo
bigger injectors
link g4 ecu.
and also in my dream world i could go to a company like your self who are honest and saY BUILD ME MY DREAM CAR and come up with a finance package, lol well a man can dream

Last edited by andrew.81; 07-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.
andrew.81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTST & 200SX S13
Club ID#: 40166

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.81 View Post
hi 6boost, ive been looking at your website and im rather impressed with what i see. in terms of my manifold i some how managed to crack my OEM one and replaced it with another OEM one and thats when they said you need your turbo flange skimmed to make it fit proper. i would like a TUBLER exhaust manifold but of course ive heard loads of horror stories so i stuck with the ome one.
what upsets me most is ive had my skyline for just over 6 years and she still isnt where i want her to be.
my wish list for my baby is to hit the 450 bhp mark
gtr r33 front and rear bermbo brake system
a bigger and better spooling turbo
bigger injectors
link g4 ecu.
and also in my dream world i could go to a company like your self who are honest and saY BUILD ME MY DREAM CAR and come up with a finance package, lol well a man can dream

Well we can take care of all the above with the exception of finance. We do accept credit cards if that helps though lol
andrew.81 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
well 6boost i may just have to give you guys a call but not till after the new year but your deffo in my faviortes now. lol
andrew.81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTR
Club ID#: 9356

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (5)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by igralec View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about companies selling 2nd hand parts for 3+ times the price of private sales

No need to rant as This is the norm these days
andrew.81 likes this.

BN6 NISMO 400r R33GTRVspec

I may be getting older
but i'll never grow up
:gheyfight:
DazzaGTRVspec is offline   Reply With Quote