Thinking of buy this GTR - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Club ID#: 18226

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Thinking of buy this GTR

So im thinking of buy this car. its here in the USA. any oppinions yes or no?
original add:

Year/Make/Model: 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR

Price: $18000 obo

Mileage: ~66000km
-------------

THIS IS A STATE TITLED CAR REGISTERED IN MICHIGAN USING THE JDM VIN!!!!!!!!

I am selling my 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR (R32), the car runs great and is a blast to drive. It is a real RHD GTR from Japan, I bought it from a guy in NC, and have had it for a few months now. I am selling it because I just don't have time to work on it anymore. The car runs great, and is stock aside from an M's intake kit with new filters, exhaust, Volk Evo4 Wheels, Hawk HPS Brake pads, Zeal Coilovers, and NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs. I recently changed most of the engine fluids, and the fuel filter, as well as a few of the hoses. I also replaced the brake pads, shift knob (Nismo), shift boot, e brake boot, radio, and floor mats (Nismo) The car runs great, and I did a compression test that came back with 150's across all 6 cylinders. The car runs great and the interior is in pretty good shape. The paint is original, and not perfect. It has a bad spot on the front drivers side fender and a big chip on the wing, as well as some nicks and scratches on the drivers side door. The guy I bought the car from said that the engine was from a 94 V-Spec, but I can't confirm this. The buyer will also get a bunch of spare parts I have (Timing belt, water pump, hoses)

Sportmax is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 96 r33 gtst
Club ID#: 10411

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (11)

View My Pictures
firstly ill say it seems a bit steep on price but i know how expensive it is for a skyline there so it might actually be a good deal, seems to be genuine in the add too, if you have the money then go for it.

also to any mods reading this like i did: its not a for sale ad its just a copy of the one he's looking at.
mick-skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #3

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick-skyline View Post
firstly ill say it seems a bit steep on price but i know how expensive it is for a skyline there so it might actually be a good deal, seems to be genuine in the add too, if you have the money then go for it.

also to any mods reading this like i did: its not a for sale ad its just a copy of the one he's looking at.
Correct, this is a Copy of the add on another site that i am looking at. I took out the sellers information.

Its the cheapest GTR i can find. Any problems with it being the first year of the R32 GTR??? And thats Way low miles too for a 20 year old car.
Sportmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep

Drives: BMW X5.
Club ID#: 8149

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (2)

View My Pictures
the first gtr's had oil pump problems but if it has had a 94 engine that should be a problem
MARKPRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
the first gtr's had oil pump problems but if it has had a 94 engine that should be a problem
Where would i find a stamp on the engine to verifie what it came out of?
Old 15-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep

Drives: BMW X5.
Club ID#: 8149

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportmax View Post
Where would i find a stamp on the engine to verifie what it came out of?
the stamp should be on the block just below the turbos i think, sure somone will come along to confirm
MARKPRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Club ID#: 4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
if the engine is in situ you will have to take the alternator off to see the number

It seems pretty straight...just check under the rear arches for signs of rust (there shouldnt hopefully be any)

good luck
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
The Cunning Linguist

Club ID#: 11517

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (14)

View My Pictures
Same again, seems steep to UK eyes, maybe one of our US members could add an opinion on value for money here.

Nice looking car though.

Balloo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
if the engine is in situ you will have to take the alternator off to see the number

It seems pretty straight...just check under the rear arches for signs of rust (there shouldnt hopefully be any)

good luck
I have not seen the car in person yet. he did say there is alittle rust in the wheel well.
"I think their might be a little rust in the rear quarter behind the wheel well" what he said in an email.
Guess ill have to wait and see what the engine came out of, doubt he wants to pull the alternator just to check for me
Old 15-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
make sure you check the back end well, look for any previous crash damage repairs
Old 15-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #11

View My Pictures
Quote:
make sure you check the back end well, look for any previous crash damage repairs
It sucks, this car is 1100 miles(1770.278km) away from me. Wish i could just zip over there and take a look at it in person.
Old 15-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
is there a garage near where the car is that you could take it for them to look at? here is the uk there is a national organisation called the RAC and the AA that will check a car over for you for a small fee....at least if your that worried it will give you peace of mnd.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #13

View My Pictures
Quote:
is there a garage near where the car is that you could take it for them to look at? here is the uk there is a national organisation called the RAC and the AA that will check a car over for you for a small fee....at least if your that worried it will give you peace of mnd.
Thats if the guy is willing to get it looked at for me. I am a certified master toyota technician so once i see the car in person i can decide for myself. Just hard being that its so far away.
Guess im manly looking for opinion like is this expensive for a 89, what kinda problems are there with 89s. Things like that.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
ah, you should be ok then.

its soo different for us here, we are kinda spoilt for choice really....different story for you there!

there arent many issues aside from the engine...just general wear and tear on a car of that age.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #15

View My Pictures
Quote:
ah, you should be ok then.

its soo different for us here, we are kinda spoilt for choice really....different story for you there!

there arent many issues aside from the engine...just general wear and tear on a car of that age.
ok cool thanks.
Ya we have almost none to chose from and most are going for $25,000 and up for a gtr. I figure if it only has 66km on it and its mostly stock its got to be in pretty good shape mechanicly.
what do you mean "there arent many issues aside from the engine..."? Im not very familure with the RB engine since we never got them over here.

Last edited by Sportmax; 15-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.