Some advice on an R32 GT-R please... - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Drives: R33 GTS-T and IIA Landie
Club ID#: 21457

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Question Some advice on an R32 GT-R please...

Hi All,

A newbie into Skyline ownership ofabout a month and a half. Currently have a very nice spec 1.5 R33 GTS-t. Can't fault the car, and i do like it and have spent a bit of money on it already, but it was never what I really wanted and I simply did a deal to get shot of my very nice 535i Beemer (Too many on the market made it a difficult sell)....

Anyway, what I really want is an R32 GT-R, I have found one which I might just about stretch to, it is pretty much stock other than induction, exhaust and I think Tein coilovers. Also (probably a good bonus) factory size HKS turbos fitted.

The problem is the car is a little tatty, and my main concern is a little rust (crunchy bubbles) on the drivers side bulkhead. Is this something that should put me off the car altogether or should i overlook it. Interior seems fine, it's got if I remember correctly about 65000 on the clock, and a good set of boots and wheels. Any advice greatly recieved, It is an M reg so one of the last 32's..
traveller816 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 9952

Trade Feedback: (33)

View My Pictures
I would never overlook rust spots mate as with rust it normally is like that - you only see the top of the mountain!

Does not have to be like that on this car too, but most likely will be. Also in most cases cars that have noticeable rust spots of specific size will have other rust spots too so can soon get a big problem.

Of course there are cars that have a little tiny rust spot somewhere that can easily be fixed with a couple of quids and everything else fine on it, but they“re rare.

You really need to check to be sure. Ideally get it on the lifter to check.

R34 GTR Vspec Nismo and Reinik Motorsports Japan equipped

Mapped by Richard Bell from Bellsautoservice UK
RXXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

Country Flag

View My Pictures
yeah in my experience it has been like that also, and the place it is in is a bitch to get at to rectify... drivers' side bulkhead in the corner near the wing. I will give it a more thorough look tomorrow and take it from there, but really I think i'm just getting confirmation on my own initial first impression.... still, I have made bad decisions in the past even when armed with the right information!!!
traveller816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Actually just remebered one of the reasons for asking was also wether or not having the HKS turbos was enough to go through the trouble of sorting out that bit of rot... if it turns out not to be too bad on closer inspection... If I am right in think the HKS turbos have got steel internals and are likely to be more durable.... still knowing my car history i'd be surprised if I kept it longer than six months anyway...
Old 25-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #5

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Just another R32 question... I've been reading around and think i know the answer but would like confirmation. Is the HICAS/ABS systems and the power steering linked? I assume the HICAS/ABS is as the essentially share the same warning light and just wondered if the power steering was linked also? Do they share the same source of hydraulic fluid? I test drove an R32 GTR today and the HICAS/ABS light was flashing on and off intermittently at the same time a "graunching" noise comming from engine bay (like a power steering pump low on fluid) . The power steering was juddering giving on/off assistance. Didn't check at the time but thinking about it now and having read a few threads it would make sense if the fluid was low and if all three systems were linked then these are the symptoms i would expect... appreciate any input.
Old 25-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 9952

Trade Feedback: (33)

View My Pictures
Think they're linked yes. But not 100% sure.

Defo sure though that HICAS on R32 is hydraulically controlled. On R33 and R34 it's electronically. And power steering fluid is used for it, so could be the reason for everything playing up.

R34 GTR Vspec Nismo and Reinik Motorsports Japan equipped

Mapped by Richard Bell from Bellsautoservice UK
RXXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #7

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Yes, it's definately hydraulically controlled on the R32 so would make sense that its all linked up, How is sunny Frankfurt these days? I drove through it long time ago. I lived in Germany for three years whilst serving in the military near Dutch border, Dusseldorf would've been the closest big city. I do miss it and every year plan to go on a road trip but it never comes off, too many other commitments, perhaps Nurenburg this year, who knows.... have you driven any of the roads down south in Bavaria, wow there are some really "twsties" especially crossing over into Austria. All the best, Saul
Old 25-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #8

Club ID#: 4201

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
hi mate i would check the rest of the car especially around the rear arches suspension turrets and sills,this car is getting on a bit now so might have a few more hidden suprises,im not trying to put you off or stop a sale of a genuine car but its buyer beware,also i have seen some 32gtr's going for around that price just having a rebuild with forged internals,remember shop around you dont have to buy the first car you see,also take a friend along and tell him to be as open and honest with you about the car,he wont be looking at the car the same way you will.im not trying to upset anyone but just give some friendly advice which can be taken or ignored.

thanks simon
simon tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #9

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Appreciae all advice thanks mate, and it is a trader so no worries on upsetting anyone, had a really good look around it yesterday, the rust on the bulkhead is minimal and can be dealt with, the rest of the car is straight, and for a change I wouldn't even need to go and buy yet another set of tyres!!! I know for similar money i can get rebuilt cars but i'd rather have stock, for my sanity and insurance premiums. I can modify as I go.This one has 64000km on clock but has been standing round, still unregistered import. Other than the above mentioned issues with HICAS steering ABS etc it looked a good car. I might need to get it up on a ramp to check underneath but that shoudn't pose a problem. I think it now comes down to iether an R32 GTR or spend the extra cash on modifying my R33 GTS-T.... (fmic, remap etc)
Old 25-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #10

Club ID#: 4201

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
hi mate if you by a bog standard 32gtr it will cost quite a bit of money to get the power up, if you try raising the power up on a gtst it will cost even more money as your starting off with single rather than twins and also 2.5 as apposed to 2.6,here's a suggestion why dont you sell your car and by a good condition 32gtr with forged internals and then you will have some reliability as it will be a lot newer and forged and then you will start off with a good foundation for a good power motor,

remember if you should be unlucky enough to spin a bearing or get oil pump failure you are looking at between £3000-£5000 pounds to put right,(OR EVEN MORE)

again this is only my advice which can be ignored,im only trying to give you the pro's and con's of buying one of these cars,as so many people have come unstuck,these cars can be money pits

SIMON
simon tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #11

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You make valid points and you are absolutely right about twin turbos being a better starting point. Will stick the GTS-T back on fleabay i think.