So who else has had probs fitting fibreglass parts? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GtsT
Club ID#: 9128

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (4)

View My Pictures
So who else has had probs fitting fibreglass parts?

To anyone who hasn't seen the other thread where my bodykit is being cut and rebuilt so it fits... I bought a load of fibreglass parts to fit on my car and am totally shocked at the (lack of) quality and customer service.

I ordered parts from:

Knight Racer - 400R front bumper, grill, vented wings and side skirts.
JDL - A rear 'overbumper'
The GTR Shop - I ordered a set of GTR Overfenders.
Japsalon After DaveW of GTR shop kept fobbing me off I told him to cancel&refund and ordered another set from Japsalon.

JDL first... had to chase as didn't hear anything for a while but they answered my email VERY promptly and provided me with a tracking no. for the parcel coming from Germany. Part came well packed and fit was great.
So credit where its due - Thanks guys, thats how its done!

The GTR Shop took my money but then kept fobbing me saying it was too cold to make the overfenders or anything out of fibreglass. (What they don't have heaters up norf?) And despite promising later dates, they just kept missing their deadlines which left me losing my 60 deposit at a bodyshop. Then Dave stopped replying to calls or PMs so I left a message on the forum saying to cancel and refund my paypal money as I had ordered a set from Japsalon instead. A week AFTER this he made and sent them anyway, still without any communication.

So the set I ALSO ended up with from Japsalon came damaged as they had just been put together, wrapped in cardboard and sent. They had been crushed together and generally the quality was poor anyway. Gary said he doesn't see why he should refund me and be out of pocket and that he would send me another set instead which I would then have to sell myself... Still waiting for these and Gary has also gone very quiet.

And finally, we have a 'winner' (for crapness)... Knight Racer.

Grill - was for a Spec1 - I have a spec 2, as they know as they also supplied a Spec 2 carbon bonnet for me.

Front Bumper - made in 3 sections and bonded together - VERY flimsy and a poor fit. When the bodyshop questioned its not fitting (thinking it might be a GTR instead) they just said the bodyshop are crap and to screw the middle in first then FORCE the sides in and screw. I could hear the cracking and creaking as they tried that.

Also the fit is piss poor around the lights which is apparently because these are Spec1 only. Which they "make very clear in all their sales literature". Can you see it on their website? Have checked and doesn't say.

Vented wings were from the 'super duper fitting new batch', which (suprise suprise) didn't fit. One side was MADE to fit by cutting, trimming, etc. but the other side was beyond even that. Again, criticized the bodyshop and me for "not storing them properly causing them to warp". I sent pictures showing just how bad they were and they eventually sent a replacement as "a goodwill gesture". The bracket on the fitst one was too long and in the wrong place which def CANNOT be caused by "not storing them properly".

Finally the side skirts... What can I say about these gems? 'Poor fitting' would be a HUGE understatement. The bodyshop laughed and said I had more chance of fitting these on my van than the car! If they were lined up with the door shuts then you couldn't close the door and the front and rear were MILES out.

The car has had to go to a PROPER trader, BHP Auto (Myki), who DO know what they're doing with fibreglass, to be CUT UP and FULLY REBUILT so they'll actually fit a Skyline.

SO... after the thread in BHP Auto's section, showing how bad the fit is, I've had LOTS of PMs from other peeps saying they suspected it was Knight Racer and have had the same probs. VERY poor fitting parts and an even poorer attitude blaming the bodyshops all the time. I think its reasonable to expect a little 'finishing' to be done to get the parts ready for paint but the cutting and rebuilding is WAY outside of this and they are charging a LOT of money for very poor quality parts that simply don't fit.

There seems to be an attitude of acceptance from people that fibreglass parts won't fit and will need a shedload of work to MAKE them fit. WHY??? Speaking to fibreglass professionals I find that there is no excuse for this. Parts made PROPERLY will be the right shape to go straight on and won't sag or warp. These companies are using moulds of moulds and some of these coming from China, etc. with little chance of actually fitting.

I think people need to speak up, stop accepting this rubbish and either get Knight Racer (and others) to stop sending out crap or just vote with their feet, and money, and use better companies.

There ARE lots of GREAT traders on here that I regularly use... RSP, Apex, Japspeed, BHP Auto and Temple Tuning to name a few... Why can't they ALL be up to their standards?

So anyway... I'd love to hear from others and their experiences of fitting fibreglass parts... Do you think its reasonable that parts don't fit and need to be cut and rebuilt? Know of any better companies?

Thanks for reading.

Chris ~
Advertisement

Old 30-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: spec 2 gtst, audi s2, legacy gt, dodge camper, volvo c 70, bmw compact race car
Club ID#: 26122

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (7)

View My Pictures
thats shocking u sure that kits not for a saxo or something?

its when you get hassel like this you think its hardly worth it all as the time it takes to sort it and the extra labour costs trying to get a square plug to fit a round hole.

hope everything gets sorted in the end
Old 30-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Top Cat

Club ID#:

Those are really bad. Although with the first pic of the bumper a kettle with hot water will persuade the fiberglass back into shape.

Old 30-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
RC*
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTST
Club ID#: 25461

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
that is shocking! i have had the same experiences before with the honda and the money you spend sending parts back, chasing up people, rebuilding, bodyshop expenses etc you could have bought the plastic versions that you thought you couldnt afford in the first place lol. it wouldnt be so bad if they TOLD you that it almost fits but will need work but when you are paying those prices, whether its fibreglass or not, it should be a direct fit!
Old 30-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
slightly sideways

Drives: 91 r32 gts-t
Club ID#: 14105

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
the bumper is an awful fit.. fiat quality at a mercedes price. i got a kit for my old celica about 6 years ago . it wouldn't even go near the car. car is long gone and still have the kit in the shed. gutted for ya lad. it would cost alot to sort in a body shop....
Old 30-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

Drives: the wife up the wall
Club ID#: 23120

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (5)

View My Pictures
this is not good as im starting to source 400R parts myself, and if you dont know what to do with the jap salon skirts send us a pm and i may have them of you.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 R33 GTS-T ............. 06 Mazda6 Estate 2.0 TS ............ 07 VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI
Location: (Work) Niedersachsen Germany (Live) Nordrhein Westfalen, Germany
Club ID#: 25621

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (7)

View My Pictures
Well thats not good!! Glad you put this on here was saving for a fairly big order in the summer. Think I maybe looking else where. Thanks guys!!!!

Old 30-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrim22 View Post
...hope everything gets sorted in the end
Thanks, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosseef Hussain View Post
Those are really bad. Although with the first pic of the bumper a kettle with hot water will persuade the fiberglass back into shape.
They tried that but of course it assumes the original shape was correct in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC* View Post
that is shocking!... whether its fibreglass or not, it should be a direct fit!
Couldn't agree more mate! These are not cheap nor 'universal fit' parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinemad27 View Post
... gutted for ya lad. it would cost alot to sort in a body shop....
Already has cost me loads and now I'm paying another company to finish the job too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the locksmith View Post
this is not good as im starting to source 400R parts myself, and if you dont know what to do with the jap salon skirts send us a pm and i may have them of you.
The Japsalon parts were rear overfenders I'm afraid.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 6924

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (6)

View My Pictures
One thing before you go bringing my name into this pm me first!!
i remember you had many issuse with another trader here and slagged them off to everybody as most sent me the pm's you sent them complaining, and then complained to me, to which i had a word with the other trader he mentioned that you had your part to play in the problem chris, and now your singing their praises!
Have you made Knight Racer aware of this thread? or the other Thread yr slating them on?......No i thought not!
ill always intervene and help out where possible with both members and traders, but i EXPECT my PERMISSION from anyone before they POST up my NAME!
i will talk with Knight Racer and here his side, its all too easy to say the quality is shite and "i know someone" who is better, and i find you and Miki (trader) innuendo''s toward Knight Racer very derogatory

Old 30-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Keith I only mentioned your name saying that you get to choose who does and doesn't trade on here and I think you should know that there is a problem here.
No point my PMing you as I don't need nor ask for your help.
And no, I have not told Knight Racer and last time I tried explaining the problem with fitment, Albert practically hung up on me.
And again, I'm do not need nor am asking for anything from them either.

I'm just expressing my opinion on my experience with these companies (good AND bad), with pictures and lots of peeps have been PMing me with the same issues.
I know you help where you can and have indeed helped me out before - I appreciate it as you know.

Its your forum mate, do what you want with it - close the thread by all means as you did when the other guy had a problem with their work on his bumper this week. I just think there's an unnecessary culture of acceptance of poor fitting parts and a blaming of bodyshops...

But like I said - your forum, do as you will.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchief View Post
i remember you had many issuse with another trader here and slagged them off to everybody as most sent me the pm's you sent them complaining, and then complained to me, to which i had a word with the other trader he mentioned that you had your part to play in the problem chris, and now your singing their praises!
Just re-reading your post Keith - I assume you mean RSP? Yes I had ONE problem with them, communication. (My having to keep chasing them and not being able to get through.) This is no secret and I have spoken to Rich directly about it. There is no bad feeling there and were no complaining PMs that I'm aware of, you've certainly never mentioned this before.
I am happy to use them for their work and live with their being a pain to get hold of, as I made clear in that thread aaages ago. And how I had a part to play in the problem you can explain to me next time I see you on track.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 6924

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (6)

View My Pictures
Let me re-assure you again, i let the threads run until the trade in question has his say, there is no need for a "witch hunt" as i'm sure there is far more threads saying "thanks for good work etc" im not saying the skirts are a shite fit as they are, so before you need more ammo to talk with me, you wont as i'm aware already, did you store them in a flat position? was they trial tiffed when you got them? i did with mine as most do, Chris i wont defend anyone until ive heard both sides my point is we have been down this route with you before and you slagged the other trader ragged with other members and then suddenly you changed your tune. ill look into it now

Old 30-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTS-T
Club ID#: 10728

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
I would never buy these sorts of panels again ! totally feel for you !
I had some fibre glass vented wings, gave up they simply were to to to far out, mould form moulds from moulds i suspected...sold them with advice its gonna need work !
front bumpers Ive had a few ! gave up on a 400r one i got of ebay, it was awful so so so far out !
got another one form a trader on here, again awful, it looked like a GTR one it was so wide, i dont know why you wouldnt just mould it right, why have to bolt in middle and pull in, and we REALLY had to pull in !!! if thye were just "right" they should simply slot in, i dont know why the manufacturers dont just make them right form day 1... its not as if its any harder to make correct.. ?
Old 30-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
Banned from Site

Drives: r33 gtst
Club ID#: 20485

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (23)

View My Pictures
I also got set of vented wings as well that were suppost to be a perfect fit but were far from it they looked good but wasn't until you had the standard wing off that you see that mounting points were in wrong place had to be altered and a little trimming in places, the reason I never contacted knight racer was because my mate had already started trimming and altering bits on one of the wings.
In the end I'm happy with them but only because of the skills of the body shop, my look on things is I always expect a little work with fibre glass as I have brought a lot of kits for past cars and fit is never perfect, but knight racer was the only company that stated that they were a perfect fit which Is a blatant lie, but on another note I have one of there carbon blades and have seen other bits of there carbon and they are spot on.
Old 30-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
Seasoned Member

Drives: r33
Club ID#: 10737

Trade Feedback: (11)

View My Pictures
I brought the same Knight Racer - 400R front bumper and same wings and had the same problem as you. my front bumper was the same as your pic. I work with fibreglass at work fitting body kits ect so I just got to work on them cutting and remoulding but maybe I should of got in touch with knight racer but like you say the body kits have come from moulds from moulds and so on. The option I would have been given would have been my money back or a replacement kit which would have been exactly the same. Like I say I fit kits on golfs, saxo's and so on all week and there kits are just the same.
Closed Thread