Advice/opinions needed please - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #1

Club ID#: 79554

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Advice/opinions needed please

I'll try and keep it short. The skyline developed a misfire last April after the stock rad burst dumping all the coolant. Ever since its misfires have got gradually worse on idle and any sort of boost. The cooling system keeps getting air/gas in causing hunting idle until air is bled only for it to repeat the cycle and coolant hoses bursting. It has now been with two popular and reputable tuning companies. First one went in to look at a misfire and general maintenance and was gone for just shy of three months. I wasn't wanting to repeat the same so went to this second company. Long story short between myself and the first garage all major misfire culprits have been checked or replaced to no avail.
I suspected head gasket failure for a long time and finally confirmed it with a sniff test decided to bite the bullet and get a upgraded HG. So I explained the story to the second company and got it booked in for HG. Dropped it off on the 11th of November and paid a 500 deposit for the works. A week passes I call in for an update. I'm told they don't think HG is responsible for the misfire and they want to try and solve the misfire first. Fair enough makes sense. Another week passes I ring in again. They've replaced the plugs, not normally a issue to me but had they rung me first I could have told them those plugs were brand new HKS plugs a few months ago. So paid another 120 for plugs. we then agree to just crack on with HG but at the same time flow testing the injectors as these are pretty much the only component that hasn't been tested or replaced, and they are only a year old. I ring a week later, no work has been started as they suspect the CAS. I tell them the CAS was replaced a few weeks prior with a reconditioned unit. They suspect the replacement maybe faulty so suggest another. I ring again in another week, got told they got a new sensor but the car still run like crap so they sent it back and are finding another. A week or two passes, which is odd as I was able to get the original within two days. I call in again they have another sensor fitted but need to road test it. Another two weeks pass and it still hasn't been road tested. In fairness I did ask them to not take it out if there are days when the roads are heAvila salted. But within those two weeks there has been a ton of rain along with a number of dry days. In the end I go there myself on a week day afternoon and test drive it for 40mins. First 20 it runs like crap then seems to settle. I ring in the following day and discuss. They don't think it's worth doing the HG as it can't be that bad. I agree to take it back at the weekend. Turn up Saturday. Final amount for work is settled. New plugs, CAS, hour diagnostics, and a hour to check new plug gapping before I picked it up. Grand total 500, that's the entire deposit used up. Go to start the car and it runs like a bag of shit. Rough idle, misfiring and now new addition of smoke pouring out the exhaust. I agree to leave it with them. I send a email to the boss who wasn't in explaining it's still running crap and can I get the old CAS and HKS spark plugs back as they clearly weren't at fault.
I ring in today, boss is back. Another discussion is had, he suspects HG. I ask when they will start, and get a "mmm maybe this week we can take a look at it" Bearing in mind at this point they have now had the car two months, replaced parts that weren't at fault and had already been done, I'm 500 lighter none the wiser and car is still running just as bad.
My question, is this normal or acceptable? I've previously had modified cars and had a engine rebuild on a SR20 that was faulted, rebuilt and back in the car within two weeks! A few people I've spoken to said they would have gone nuts at them.
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I'm an engineer by trade I'm very familiar with the whole fault finding, repairs process so this isn't unfamiliar. To me personally it seems a piss take of sorts. But would appreciate opinions before I rock the boat. Many thanks in advance ?
GlenD is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
First off if you could have put that lot into paragraphs I would have been able to read that, but from the gist of it, I am supprised a couple of garages/tuners couldn't fix it, did anyone run a compression test before or after fixing the head gasket?

I would suspect the motor has a ring land problem after overheating the first time due to a bit of det, sounds like a lot of people clutching at straws without proper diagnostic procedure to me.

You mean to say that you took it to a tuner/garage with an overheat problem and they didn't bother to run a compression or leak down test? and did anyone bother to check the head for trueness before fitting a new head gasket?

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 AM   #3

View My Pictures
I took it in with a misfire problem. It's never had overheating problems. The problem started after the rad split during spirited driving.
The first company carried out a compression test and leak down test. All results were normal.
GlenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #4

View My Pictures
Also head gasket hasn't been replaced yet. That's what I've been waiting to get done.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
"The skyline developed a misfire last April after the stock rad burst dumping all the coolant. Ever since its misfires have got gradually worse on idle and any sort of boost. The cooling system keeps getting air/gas in causing hunting idle until air is bled only for it to repeat the cycle and coolant hoses bursting. "

So no overheat problem then!! yet the rad burst, and after fixing a hose does the same, and then sniffer test indicates positive for combustion gas?
and you then say the misfire started after this!
this statement to me would say there is a cooling system problem as it's happened twice, I would be taking it somewhere else if they don't want to tackle the main problem in the correct order, as its totally pointless and stupid.

"Nissan is like Lego"
Old 10-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

View My Pictures
Yes I agree. My theory was combustion gases are entering the cooling system as a result of a failed head gasket.
Despite all of this the coolant has never reached a abnormal temperature.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
You should never trust the coolant gauge when it comes to problems with air locks as if the sensor is sitting in an air lock, which is often where one forms, it will read low or normal, it's a common misconception, I have seen so-called mechanics make this mistake.

"Nissan is like Lego"
Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

View My Pictures
Fair point thank you. I was guessing the air lock was effecting the ecu coolant sensor hence the jumping idle.

The whole situation is like pulling teeth. If this is the way they operate goodness know how they stay in business.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
The symptoms of a malfunctioning coolant temp sensor will be a default rich mixture and hard hot starting, same if the sensor is sitting in a cold/cool air pocket, but there is a separate sensor for the temp gauge.

"Nissan is like Lego"
Old 10-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 83841

View My Pictures
The garage sounds like an absolute joke.
Dazsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #11

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazsw View Post
The garage sounds like an absolute joke.
My thoughts exactly. It's been to two reputable tuners now and both have played silly buggers
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 83841

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenD View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's been to two reputable tuners now and both have played silly buggers
Are an error codes showing when connected to Nissan Datascan or Consult?
Dazsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #13

View My Pictures
Are an error codes showing when connected to Nissan Datascan or Consult?[/QUOTE]

The first company had it on a consort and checked for error codes but it didn't show any.
The current garage haven't run a error code check as far as I'm aware