How much do I pay for 18,000 miles?? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By needforspeed
  • 1 Post By MattB1980

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

Drives: T5
Club ID#: 87458

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
How much do I pay for 18,000 miles??

Hi all again.
Currently looking at buying a white R33 GTST which is over 400bhp and has been stood for the past 8 yrs. obviously she’ll want some work but what attracts me the most is the GENUINE 18,000 miles she’s covered!!!!! Yeh I know!! But how much is she worth before I make myself look stupid and offer a figure which is totally wrong?? Any help would be grateful.

Cheers Matt
MattB1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 83841

View My Pictures
It might have only 18k miles but having stood for 8 years I would be fully re-commisioning the car and that will cost a fair bit on a Skyline.

I would be aiming low mate, I'd rather own a car that had been driven regularly, not being used is bad for any car.
Dazsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #3

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hi buddy.
Cheers for info. The chap who’s selling said he drove it about 2yrs ago and apart from slight rust on the disc’s, he said it drove like a dream. Would I benefit getting the car started first before talking money??

Cheers again

Matt
MattB1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Always sideways

Drives: Formerly, a R33 GTS25t Spec 1. Then, an R33 GTR. Now, a Hyundai. And a GTR for the weekend!
Club ID#: 6940

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (27)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB1980 View Post
Would I benefit getting the car started first before talking money??
Ummm, yeah. Obviously you need to at least hear it running or you'll be taking a hell of a chance! Personally I'd be requesting a test drive.

I once heard a great statement that I stick by: "Skyline's are expensive. If you can't afford a good one, you certainly can't afford a bad one."
SMURF. and LukeGT like this.

My new Skyline
http://www.checkpointgarage.com/
http://www.jm-imports.co.uk//
needforspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 83841

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB1980 View Post
Hi buddy.
Cheers for info. The chap who’s selling said he drove it about 2yrs ago and apart from slight rust on the disc’s, he said it drove like a dream. Would I benefit getting the car started first before talking money??

Cheers again

Matt

Here's something most car guys have learned the hard way, myself included....NEVER trust the seller!

I was stung badly when I bought my Skyline, as I went against my own advice and trusted the seller, I knew better and still made a mess of it.

If it doesn't even start, it's treated and priced like a non runner, no matter what he says.
Dazsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thanks for info.
Much appreciated

Matt
Dazsw likes this.
MattB1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

Drives: '97 R33 GTST
Club ID#: 15756

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (27)

View My Pictures
If it's been stood for 18 years and only driven 2 years ago, you want to make sure all fluids are changed before it is started, you want to make sure it is cranked with the fuel pump disabled so oil can circulate and the system can pressurise.

Ideally you want to flush the fuel tank and maybe consider having it cleaned professionally to avoid any issues with the fuel system failing due to bad fuel and internal tank corrosion, the last thing you want is fuel pump delivery issues or failure @ 400bhp.

Other than that, just give it a good look over. Does it look like a car that's only done 18k miles.... Check everything from Steering wheel, to gearstick and handbrake gaiters. Floor mats, and the carpet area under the pedals on the drivers side. Boot floor under the spare wheel, all boot carpet and trim, for such low mileage they should be prestine if it was a cherished car. Seat bolsters and fabric should be pretty much immaculate with such low mileage.

Strut tops should be clean and blister free, rear arches solid, sills should be in tact, possibly folded from in correct jacking but not split. Take a no1 philips screwdriver with you and don't be afraid to poke around under the car to see if its solid or not.

Just make sure you are happy with the car before making an offer or handing over any cash, buyer beware and all that. Even in today's market where cars are appreciating in price, do not be taken advantage of, even at 18k miles and 400bhp it is still a GTST not a GTR so if the seller is asking top money based on mileage only but the rest of the vehicle is built using cheap parts etc then you know where to start when negotiating.
niz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Belgian Fries

Drives: R34 GTT
Club ID#: 46258

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Don't forget that a shitload of cars that are imported from Japan come with tampered mileages.

Personally I would never buy a car this old with such low mileage. It sounds great and the resale value should be good (unless you find evidence of tampering, then you're screwed) but do not forget it needs a lot of work (=money) to be able to drive properly again.
Yannixx is offline   Reply With Quote