Question for all TIG welders - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > General

General Skyline related chat only please
Sponsored By: www.OnlineCarParts.co.uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34Door
Club ID#: 79938

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Question for all TIG welders

Iím needing an 90 elbow welded onto my compressor housing. The elbow I have is perfect fitment. the only problem is the elbow is aluminium and the compressor housing is cast aluminium. Can this be done, Iíve seen pictures online and it looks as if itís been done before. What filler rod and what settings do I have to use. Im studying welding at college and have done loads of TIG, I havenít welded cast before but I have done aluminium before. If it canít be done I can just buy another elbow but this time it will be cast. If this is the case which settings and rod for both metals being cast aluminium?
Thanks, Rory.

Turbo in question is a holset HX32
er34.rory is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Forum Gypo

Drives: R34 GTT, BMW 320 touring.
Club ID#: 20902

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
I don't think it should be too much of a problem, just remember to keep it spotless clean. It would help if you new what grade aluminium both componenets are. They are usually graded in groups from the 1000 group up to the 7000 group.
I should imagine that both are either in the 5000 , 6000 or 7000 group as this would make the most sense going on what they are to be used for. Therefor a filler wire in the 5xxx group should do the trick as this will match the base alloys of both materials.
As for settings, this depende on the thickness of both components and what kind of weld joint. If the wall thickness is around 3mm and it will be a butt weld then you will be in the range of 170/180 amps AC. A fillet weld needs more 190/200 amps AC.
Hope this helps a little.

The advantage of being intelligent lies in the fact that you can always play the dumb fool. :dunce:
The opposite of this though is quite difficult.
Tonygtt is offline   Reply With Quote