used performance are they worth it? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Off Topic > Lounge

Lounge Use this forum for non-skyline chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Club ID#: 72721

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
used performance are they worth it?

so I was torturing my good friend the other day of my trip up to the dodge viper plant since one of his favorite cars is the viper. He of course said he would love to have viper one day me being a good friend said well you can always find a used a used one for under 30k. It got us thinking would it be worth it? I mean a 8.0L V10 400hp for less than my mustang sounds too good to be true. obviously there are issues the viper has no traction control abs brakes just you and car, insurance costs, maintenance, fuel BUT look at what you get. So we decided to look for cars under 30k that are more exiting than brand new cars in that bracket here is what we came up with

Acura NSX (90's)

porsche cayman S (mid 2000's)

porsche carrera 4s (2002-2004)

maserati Quattroporte (mid 2000's)

corvette Zo6 (2004)

lotus elise (early/mid 2000's)

E36 M3

E46 M3

mercedes SLK55 AMG

mercedes SL55 AMG

i know there is more but these were just the most interesting to me at least

What is your take on the list?
charlie789 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Area Rep

Drives: A Silver one.
Club ID#: 12835

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
You can get loads of great performance cars for that kind of cash but most on that list I wouldn't look at twice and and its a big and, keeping them on the road will be very expensive. A Maserati Quattroporte clutch change costs a fortune and can only last a year with a bit of frisky driving.
Old 16-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Club ID#: 40650

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie789 View Post
so I was torturing my good friend the other day of my trip up to the dodge viper plant since one of his favorite cars is the viper. He of course said he would love to have viper one day me being a good friend said well you can always find a used a used one for under 30k. It got us thinking would it be worth it? I mean a 8.0L V10 400hp for less than my mustang sounds too good to be true. obviously there are issues the viper has no traction control abs brakes just you and car, insurance costs, maintenance, fuel BUT look at what you get. So we decided to look for cars under 30k that are more exiting than brand new cars in that bracket here is what we came up with

Acura NSX (90's)

porsche cayman S (mid 2000's)

porsche carrera 4s (2002-2004)

maserati Quattroporte (mid 2000's)

corvette Zo6 (2004)

lotus elise (early/mid 2000's)

E36 M3

E46 M3

mercedes SLK55 AMG

mercedes SL55 AMG

i know there is more but these were just the most interesting to me at least

What is your take on the list?
I looked at buying a Viper. It was a GTS final edition model and it's still a box unticked by myself. Out of all the cars I've considered that is the one I'd go for but I was taken off track by a Nissan Skyline. I know you're saying it's an 8 litre with only 400hp but forget the numbers and claimed stats. People get too wrapped up in pub talk numbers. I`ve tried the V8 thing and beat it to death the last (and most impressive) being a Grand Cherokee SRT8. Some of them go really well and some don't. I decided to try another direction and my last car was a 2010 911 C4S. It had `only` 385hp but punched well above it weight in real performance terms and would pull the pants down of cars with more power and supposedly better figures on paper.

LIsts are cool but some of those things would disappoint. Incidentally my Saleen S281 was a disappointment performance wise, as was any S197 GT. The Viper is a true old school brute. If he wants one he should buy one and they`ll hold their money.
bigkeeko is offline   Reply With Quote