Importing a Skyline, what companies??? I have no emissions! - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Club ID#: 49246

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Importing a Skyline, what companies??? I have no emissions!

Hello!

I am very interested in importing my dream car. I understand due to the 25 year law, I will be able to bring an 89' R32 into the states without too much hassle. However, I have a unique position being that I have property in a non-emissions compliant county, which I believe would open the window to a 96-98' R33 (which is without a doubt, my all-time favorite). I see prices in Canada for these models being relatively attainable (I would happily shell out $13,000 for a clean R33 GTST or GTR) and being as I have this duck-around position with the emissions, I feel very obliged to chase my dream here. But, I don't know where to start. I've read all over this forum and others and I still do not really have a great idea on how to go about it.

I wish I knew of at least one company that was reputable and trusthworthy doing this. I believe there is a high likelihood I could be scammed and I want to work with somebody that knows what they are doing. How have you guys done it? Money is an object for me, so I don't want to go completely overboard, but I want to find a car that could serve as an investment, as well as something I plan to frequently enjoy and keep for as long as possible. I wouldn't even mind getting one that isn't perfect and restoring it to a degree.

Can't wait to hear some perspective on this!

Last edited by dr.robotnik; 26-08-2014 at 09:56 PM.
dr.robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Emissions has nothing to do with it. In fact, the R33's met emissions without modifications due to japan's strict emissions laws. Safety is the issue with anything not included under the 25 year rule.

You're looking at $50k for a federally legal gtst and way more for a GTR - unmodified. They are very rare (less than 100) because the only company that can import the R33's is motorex since they were the only ones to perform crash and safety testing on those models. Motorex has since closed shop. You can certainly find them cheaper, but you have 0 guarantee that they can be registered. If you attempt to register it and find out after the fact that it's illegal, you're typically given 5 days to either ship it out of the country, or they'll try and sell it outside of the country or then crush it.

R33's are legal to be imported, but only by registered importers who have the safety and crash info is motorex, so other RI's would need to go through the same process to legally import an R33. At this time, none have, so there haven't been any federally legal new R33's registered in the US since the mid 2000's.

If you're willing to risk a state legal one, go for it, but be warned that it's extremely risky and a lot of guys over at skylineownersusa.com have lost their cars due to it. If you don't want to pony up for the federally legal ones, go for an 89 R32. Vandrel on skylineowners.com owns an RI business and can import legit ones for you.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

Club ID#: 49246

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barong02 View Post
Emissions has nothing to do with it. In fact, the R33's met emissions without modifications due to japan's strict emissions laws. Safety is the issue with anything not included under the 25 year rule.

You're looking at $50k for a federally legal gtst and way more for a GTR - unmodified. They are very rare (less than 100) because the only company that can import the R33's is motorex since they were the only ones to perform crash and safety testing on those models. Motorex has since closed shop. You can certainly find them cheaper, but you have 0 guarantee that they can be registered. If you attempt to register it and find out after the fact that it's illegal, you're typically given 5 days to either ship it out of the country, or they'll try and sell it outside of the country or then crush it.

R33's are legal to be imported, but only by registered importers who have the safety and crash info is motorex, so other RI's would need to go through the same process to legally import an R33. At this time, none have, so there haven't been any federally legal new R33's registered in the US since the mid 2000's.

If you're willing to risk a state legal one, go for it, but be warned that it's extremely risky and a lot of guys over at skylineownersusa.com have lost their cars due to it. If you don't want to pony up for the federally legal ones, go for an 89 R32. Vandrel on skylineowners.com owns an RI business and can import legit ones for you.
I just shot Vandrel a PM on here, I'm hoping he comes back with some good info for me! I would really love to get an R33, if anything based off of price. If I have to go R32, it could come down to choosing between that and a Supra (which I'm sure is a dirty word here), but for those kinds of prices I could get a really clean MKIV without any kind of hassle. Which is definitely one of my dream cars, but isn't what I really want... But, would still be a dream in itself. We'll see.

This is such a fascinating topic to me. It's literally 1,000,000x easier to smuggle PEOPLE into this country and make them citizens than it is to get a Skyline. Makes me sick lol... They should let up on the tuners!!!!!!
dr.robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Vandrel can score you R32's. No new R33's or 34's can come into the US since motorex was the only importer to go through the safety testing. If you happen to find someone who's selling an R33, i'd be happy to take a look at the posting for you and tell you what to look out for.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Drives: 98 prelude / 90 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 27600

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Buy-r.com (international vehicle importers on FB), or Rivsu
gotadog1984 is offline   Reply With Quote