Reasonably Priced R33 - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Drives:
Club ID#: 49687

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Reasonably Priced R33

So I've been setting money aside for awhile for a LEGAL R33. They pop up here an there in different states. I'm in Maine so I already know I'll be booking a flight or driving to whatever state I find one in because they rarely pop up in New England. My question is what is a reasonable price for an R33, stock or moderately modified?

I've seen a few lightly modified (exhaust, wheels, coils) for 26K-30K. I have also seen the more heavily modified ones (Upgraded engine components, exhaust, wheels, aero parts) for 30K-35K. What's a reasonable price? I'm looking for a mostly stock one but will consider a modified one.
Dominicanaso is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Necromancer

Drives: '90 R32 GTR; Ford Escape
Club ID#: 49524

Country Flag

View My Pictures
There is no ballpark figure, really. The only legal R33s were the Motorex cars and there are very few those out there. Here's an ad for a 1995 model that the seller was asking $39k for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Nissan-...-/300989532550

Figure to spend around there.
kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen

International Area Rep

Drives: R33 Gts-t 1993, Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI
Club ID#: 30069

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (23)

View My Pictures
Are u after a gtt or a gtst?? There is a big price difference!

Old 17-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

Drives:

Country Flag

View My Pictures
When I mean legal I mean no swapped vins. Not registered as a custom 240. Most I've come across are titled as R33s, not sure if that means there technically legal. I Guess I'll have to check with DMV and get few more details. I'm not looking for any specific model ether just an R33. Here are a few I've come across:
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4710722374.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4686694811.html
http://texoma.craigslist.org/cto/4700945850.html

Last edited by Dominicanaso; 17-10-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Dominicanaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hey, for a Motorex R33, you're looking at $50-55k base unmodified for a GTR. They're extremely rare. Not sure what the GTST goes for. Modified GTR's I've seen go between $90-130k.

The one thing that you NEED to have in an ad is stating it's federally legal. Don't even bother if it's not. Sure a lot of these guys have gotten the cars registered in their states - florida is super easy to scam. If you want to have an insurable car, then you need to have it federally legal. A lot of folks will register an illegal car with their state and even get insurance, but if you get into an accident, you're automatically at fault since you're car is illegal, your insurance won't cover you and you'll likely get arrested for things like insurance fraud.

With that said, here's my thoughts on why all 3 of those ads are crap.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4710722374.html - illegal - only says titled, which is an obvious way of stating it's only state legal. Price is extremely low.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4686694811.html - illegal - the seller pretty much calls out that it's the buyer's responsibility to make sure they can register it. Well if it was a federally legal car, it wouldn't even be a concern. Odds are he had a hard time registering his and this is likely state legal at best.
http://texoma.craigslist.org/cto/4700945850.html[/QUOTE] - So many issues with this. They're advertising a GTS which isn't federally legal not to mention they don't claim it's legal.

The #1 must have is a statement that the car is federally legal. There are a decent number of skylines for sale out there, but very very few that are federally legal (except 89 R32's at this point).
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Drives:

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barong02 View Post
Hey, for a Motorex R33, you're looking at $50-55k base unmodified for a GTR. They're extremely rare. Not sure what the GTST goes for. Modified GTR's I've seen go between $90-130k.

The one thing that you NEED to have in an ad is stating it's federally legal. Don't even bother if it's not. Sure a lot of these guys have gotten the cars registered in their states - florida is super easy to scam. If you want to have an insurable car, then you need to have it federally legal. A lot of folks will register an illegal car with their state and even get insurance, but if you get into an accident, you're automatically at fault since you're car is illegal, your insurance won't cover you and you'll likely get arrested for things like insurance fraud.

With that said, here's my thoughts on why all 3 of those ads are crap.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4710722374.html - illegal - only says titled, which is an obvious way of stating it's only state legal. Price is extremely low.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4686694811.html - illegal - the seller pretty much calls out that it's the buyer's responsibility to make sure they can register it. Well if it was a federally legal car, it wouldn't even be a concern. Odds are he had a hard time registering his and this is likely state legal at best.
http://texoma.craigslist.org/cto/4700945850.html
- So many issues with this. They're advertising a GTS which isn't federally legal not to mention they don't claim it's legal.

The #1 must have is a statement that the car is federally legal. There are a decent number of skylines for sale out there, but very very few that are federally legal (except 89 R32's at this point).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the clarification! Again I guess I haven't done my research. So are federally legal, non motorex cars still the same price as the ones who went through motorex?
Old 17-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Drives: nothing now.
Club ID#: 968

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
you can have my33gtr track car road legal for 17,000 uk.it in the for sale adds.
580bhp 1400kgs.rebuilt motor, tranny in face the whole car from ground up. damn i will even take it to port for you lol

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=216501

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTU...RF_OBWKECMky9w

Last edited by rockabilly; 17-10-2014 at 06:04 PM.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
^^^^ Ummm, 0 chance that could be imported into the US.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #9

Drives:

Country Flag

View My Pictures
To be honest I don't mind buying a "state registered and titled" car Ive been doing some research regarding the risks. An Ive also spoken to 3 owners local to me who own R33 and have for years with no hassles. But again I understand the risk. with that said what's the ballpark for a "state registered & titled" non motorex R33
Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Necromancer

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Then even more so there's no ballpark figure because the state-titled guys went underground when in 2008-2009 the Feds really started cracking down on illegal Skylines and started seizing them. Search around craigslist (home base of illegal cars) and Facebook (2nd home to illegal cars) to get an idea.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

Club ID#: 47247

View My Pictures
Or what you could do is find a Nismo R33 and import it for show and Display? Do they have a Nismo R33?
Bigjakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjakey1 View Post
Or what you could do is find a Nismo R33 and import it for show and Display? Do they have a Nismo R33?
You'd have to get it approved by the government first for a show and display. 0.0001% chance they'd let that through.

If you don't want to spend the $50k plus for a base federally legal (aka motorex) car, then you're looking at probably mid $30k's for a state titled. But as Kabob said, the Feds seriously began cracking down on them just a few years back. The owner of skylineownersusa had his seized along with a ton of their members. Those guys are extremely aware of the scene and knowledgeable and it still happened to them.

There are very few motorex cars in the US in general and maybe 1 up for sale at any given time. Just the import and safety modifications cost $25-30k, so if you're seeing anything for that price or less, it likely isn't a motorex. Lots of people have gotten around crappy dmv and registration systems, but again it's at a risk.

For example, if you live in a state that requires regular emissions, and you try and register it as another car, the emissions guys will open up the hood, notice it's a 2.6L and not be able to enter it into their database b/c that motor never existed in the US. Which means they'll either put down the incorrect vehicle to get it through (which can still fail b/c the test looks for characteristics specific to each engine like O2 sensors) or they'll send you to their HQ (sorry, forget the actual name) for an inspection. If they put down the wrong vehicle on your emissions, guess what, it means you can't register your car at the DMV. Did I mention most states don't allow cars without 17 digit vins, which means you'll have to get a state issued vin by state patrol? They're going to require all of your import and safety paperwork. If the emissions guys sent you to their HQ, they have to contact customs to find records for when the vehicle was imported and guess what, they won't get 100% of the info they need if it wasn't a motorex/jk car.

These are all things that i've had to go through for my state and mine is 100% legal. So many people assume that as soon as you get the car, you can just register it if you've got a title. It rarely works that way and the government surprisingly has a lot of checkpoints throughout the process to determine if it's legal.

Did I mention getting into an accident with a non-federally legal vehicle? If your insurance figures it out, and believe me they will since they don't want to pay for damages, you're 100% at fault even if you were at a stop light and someone slammed into you. You also face very serious federal charges.

Honestly, i don't think any car is worth that much hassle and risk. I think it's a wonderful car and i wouldn't trade mine for the world, but for an extra $20k, i'd gladly avoid those risks or not get one altogether.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Necromancer

Country Flag

View My Pictures
All cars in the US 1995 and up had to be OBD-II compliant so no R33 could be plugged in for the test. Did you get OBD-II installed on your '95?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Necromancer

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjakey1 View Post
You probably could get a Nismo 400R put on the Show or Display list but it's a long process with some paperwork hurdles to jump through. Then, too, there were so few of them made, that it'd be damn near impossible to find one for sale and somehow conduct a safe transaction to get it. It'd cost somewhere around $50k or more. And you *still* have to convert it to OBD-II and EPA compliance at the cost of roughly $17k through JK Tech unless you wait until it's 21 years old, which would be November 2018 at the earliest.

Your best bet for a non-R32 to import sometime soon is to either wait 5 years and change until 2020 when the '95 GTR hits 25 years old or the '99 R34 GTR V-spec becomes EPA exempt and you can import that under Show or Display. The 1990 Nismo and the '99 GTR V-spec are the only two vehicles currently on the Show or Display approval list.

Last edited by kabob; 12-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 13-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You're correct, that all 95's going forward have to have an ODB II port in order to pass regulations. Mine does not because it received an exemption under the same act that allowed 95's to stay in the country. Only 96-98 R33's are allowed to be imported now. You get a nifty piece of paper from the NHTSA that states your vehicle is exempt.