importing to usa - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
You have a skyline!?!

Drives: 96 skyline gtst
Club ID#: 52386

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
importing to usa

Okay I know there are 100 things to read out there and everyone says different things. The question I have is can I bring my 96 r33 into the states next year(2016)and just keep it in pieces and not do anything with it til it is 25 years old? (2021)
Advertisement

Old 26-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanskyline96 View Post
Okay I know there are 100 things to read out there and everyone says different things. The question I have is can I bring my 96 r33 into the states next year(2016)and just keep it in pieces and not do anything with it til it is 25 years old? (2021)
No. Check out NHTSA's website. They call out all of this type of stuff, especially for skylines. What you would be doing would be trying to import a kit car, which skylines are specifically not allowed to be imported or registered as.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
JSA

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R, 2008 Trailblazer SS
Club ID#: 47562

Country Flag

View My Pictures
A disassembled vehicle that is shipped without an engine and transmission is treated for importation purposes not as a motor vehicle, but instead as an assemblage of motor vehicle equipment items. Such an assemblage can lawfully be imported into the U.S., provided any equipment included in the assemblage that is subject to FMVSS, but was not originally manufactured to comply with that FMVSS or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, is removed from the assemblage prior to entry into the U.S. Equipment items that are subject to the FMVSS include tires, rims, brake hoses, brake fluid, seat belt assemblies, glazing materials, and lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

If the assemblage is shipped with an engine and power train (even if those components are not installed), it would be regarded for importation purposes as a motor vehicle, and would have to be either manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, and be so certified by its original manufacturer, in the form of a label permanently affixed to the vehicle, or be determined eligible for importation by NHTSA and be imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS after importation.
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
JSA

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R, 2008 Trailblazer SS
Club ID#: 47562

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Copied straight from NHTSA.
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
You have a skyline!?!

Drives: 96 skyline gtst
Club ID#: 52386

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA View Post
Copied straight from NHTSA.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will sell mine and get a 91 gtr or older. Have to take a skyline back to the states haha
Old 26-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #6

Club ID#: 58506

View My Pictures
So from talking with Black Ops in FL how they can get skylines here is by disassembly of whole car and it is treated as auto parts and reassembly once in the states is grey area?
arebee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Drives: th1 r32 gtr
Club ID#: 47187

View My Pictures
I had a slightly different experience importing my previous car. it was a vw that had not reached 25 years old yet. i drove the car into the u.s., across the border without needing to import it. they told me at the border that i could import the car whenever i choose to, but until the importation was official it wouldnt be able to be registered obviously. i waited 6 months with it at my house before taking the paperwork to my local custims office, no problems whatsoever. i dont know how it works coming off of a boat, that might be different, but i know for a fact that if you get something from canada and get a transit plate for it you can bring pretty much any car you want in and then wait until its old enough. just dont drive it until you make it legal. or you will risk getting bent over by the u.s. government
Old 30-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
What Black Ops is suggesting is very much illegal and they've pissed off a number of members of this and the USA forum. I believe some instances of taking peoples money and not returning calls again, etc. Either way, steer clear.
Old 30-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I had a slightly different experience importing my previous car. it was a vw that had not reached 25 years old yet. i drove the car into the u.s., across the border without needing to import it. they told me at the border that i could import the car whenever i choose to, but until the importation was official it wouldnt be able to be registered obviously. i waited 6 months with it at my house before taking the paperwork to my local custims office, no problems whatsoever. i dont know how it works coming off of a boat, that might be different, but i know for a fact that if you get something from canada and get a transit plate for it you can bring pretty much any car you want in and then wait until its old enough. just dont drive it until you make it legal. or you will risk getting bent over by the u.s. government
The US isn't stupid. While you can drive a Canadian registered vehicle into the US, you can't just leave it there and not drive it around. There's a limit on how long the vehicle can be in the US. In addition, if you brought it over and wanted to register it after it became legal, you'd have to take it back across the border and re-import it legally.

Please don't speculate on things that you've "heard" about the importation process because it just breeds bad info and a lot of people will read it and possibly try it. It's crap like that which led to the USA site being federally scrutinized 2 years ago and many members losing their cars.
Old 31-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

View My Pictures
why wouldnt you be able to leave a car in your own driveway and not drive it around? i left my vw i brought over here for 6 months in my driveway. when it became of legal age, i brought the paperwork with me to my local customs office, they stamped it all and sent me on my way. as long as you have a title signed over to you from the previous owner, a bill of sale thats signed, and a letter from the manufacturer stating at what date the car will be legal it shoulf be able to stay in your posession for however long until its legal. you dont have to import it at aborder crossing. i was told by cbp at the border while driving my car that was NOT legal at the time that i vould import the car whenever i chose to.
Old 31-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #11

View My Pictures
im not speaking on anything i have heard, im speaking on things i have done personally.
Old 31-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Check out NHTSA's guidelines on temporary vehicle importation. They clearly state that after 1 year, it would need to be exported.
Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

To your example before, just because you own a piece of property does not mean that you can just bring it into the country. There are separate rules for large items that will only be in the US temporarily, like vehicles, to make it easier on visitors driving into the US. If you were to buy a watch and bring it with you on a plane, then you'd have to go through customs and declare that property, pay taxes, etc. With a car, it's the same basic process except much more rigorous because their are safety implications along with tariffs, emissions, etc..