Timing belt? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.


Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Monte0704
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 100
Club ID#: 56393


Trade Feedback: (0)


View My Pictures
Timing belt?

With there being such a huge difference in price between an OEM Nissan timing belt and a GReddy or other belt, what is the big difference? Why are non Nissan belts so much?
TaraFirma is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 26-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
Seasoned Member
 
Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 178
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)


View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraFirma View Post
With there being such a huge difference in price between an OEM Nissan timing belt and a GReddy or other belt, what is the big difference? Why are non Nissan belts so much?
The aftermarket belts as well as the Nismo one are reinforced compared to the OEM belt and intended for highly-stressed engines like track/race cars or built motors. The OEM one is fine for regular use but if you want extra peace of mind you can get the aftermarket ones. They're also a good choice if you want a showy-looking belt if you prefer to run your car minus the timing belt cover lol.
__________________
23GT.net - Tales of US GT-R ownership, R32 restoration, JDM car importation, and a few other weird things.
GSX-R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 01:51 AM   #3
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 100
Club ID#: 56393


Trade Feedback: (0)


View My Pictures
Thank you.
just wanted to make sure all that extra $$ wasn't just for color or name.
TaraFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 27-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18
Club ID#: 61033

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)


View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R35 View Post
The aftermarket belts as well as the Nismo one are reinforced compared to the OEM belt and intended for highly-stressed engines like track/race cars or built motors. The OEM one is fine for regular use but if you want extra peace of mind you can get the aftermarket ones. They're also a good choice if you want a showy-looking belt if you prefer to run your car minus the timing belt cover lol.
Good info. Just so you know, your blog link doesn't work. It links to http//23gt etcetc.

Needs to be http://23gt etcetc
GSX-R35 likes this.
Monte0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Seasoned Member
 
Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 178
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)


View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte0704 View Post
Good info. Just so you know, your blog link doesn't work. It links to http//23gt etcetc.

Needs to be http://23gt etcetc
Thanks for the heads up about the link. Weird, I could have sworn it was working when I first did my sig - anyway it's fixed now lol.
__________________
23GT.net - Tales of US GT-R ownership, R32 restoration, JDM car importation, and a few other weird things.
GSX-R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2019, Verticalscope Inc.