My new 91 GTR - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 56393

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
My new 91 GTR

Though I still don't have my car yet, I wanted to start this thread to document my buying experience. In my other thread (Almost had a 90 NISMO GTR) I posted the auction house photos of my recent purchase. Here I'll post the newest ones I have recieved of the car as it sits at the port getting ready for shipment. It was rainy that day.
So far the only issue I've been made aware of is a misfire on one of the cylinders. My exporter is pretty certain it is a coil pack and an easy fix. Is this common on these cars? Could I be looking at bigger more expensive issues?
Any input is appreciated.

TaraFirma is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I haven't had any engine issues with my car fortunately so I can't speak from experience but from what I've read misfires are not uncommon with RBs and the coils going bad from cracked boots is one of the most common causes. But it could also be due to the coil harness going bad from age and the heat soak from being in that valley between the cam covers (which is why some guys run without the coil cover and they sell uprated coil harnesses) or just bad plugs.

Pulling off the coil cover (that middle plate with Nissan Twin Cam on it) and checking the harness, coils, and plugs is easy enough to do so most likely it won't be a hard fix.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: skyline gtr
Club ID#: 317

Trade Feedback: (32)

View My Pictures
I'd be concerned on any misfire. i'd ask the exporter to fix it before it leaves to ensure it is just as they have said. if you were the seller wanting maximum selling price putting your car into an auction would you let it go through with a misfire if it was just a coilpack?
Hugh Jass likes this.

Last edited by davew; 02-06-2015 at 05:40 PM.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I'd be concerned on any misfire. i'd ask the exporter to fix it before it leaves to ensure it is just as they have said. if you were the seller wanting maximum selling price putting your car into an auction would you let it go through with a misfire if it was just a coilpack?
Dave has a great point. If it's just a coil pack or plug that's an easy fix and the seller should be willing to oblige but if it's a bigger issue then you'd want to know before you have the car shipped out to you.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #5

Club ID#: 61289

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Looks good. Congrats. Derek seems like a cool, honest dude and I had expected to get my car through him. His videos are great for customers.

I, personally, probably wouldn't be too concerned over a misfire. Every car I've ever owned has had some kind of small misfire. It can be annoying at idle but may not really affect performance. At least on the RB26, it seems like a common issue and there are some simple remedies you can try first with the coils or harness. Plus, I'd expect to do maintenance work on any car I bought, foreign or domestic. You're often buying someone elses problems, and sellers aren't always forthcoming about every issue on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
What about my mirror dave..
Seikenfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Yeah, I'm not expecting too big of a deal with this misfire. Derek is going to see if a coil replacement will remedy it before it's shipped. I'll go through it in detail when it gets here.
TaraFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

Drives: 1990 R32 GTS-4, 1999 Nissan Pathfinder
Club ID#: 34766

Country Flag

View My Pictures
When is it supposed to be shipped off? Just an FYI, 91 isn't eligible until January 1, 2016. Make sure the date of manufacture/date of first registration is 25 years from the month, otherwise they'll crush/export it.
66gt40lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gt40lm View Post
When is it supposed to be shipped off? Just an FYI, 91 isn't eligible until January 1, 2016. Make sure the date of manufacture/date of first registration is 25 years from the month, otherwise they'll crush/export it.
In his previous thread the OP mentioned he's currently in Korea so he doesn't have to worry about the 25-year import restriction...yet lol.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Yeah, I'm having shipped here to Korea so I can enjoy it while I'm here until next year. By then, I'll have set up shipping and it will be 25 years old so no issues. THX
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Drives: 1990 R32 GTS-4, 1999 Nissan Pathfinder
Club ID#: 34766

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Ah good to hear, I missed that thread, sorry!

Korea? Is it safe to assume military?
66gt40lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:01 AM   #11
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Ah good to hear, I missed that thread, sorry!

Korea? Is it safe to assume military?
It is.
U.S. Army
2.5 years left until retirement.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #12
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
At Unipros customs broker picking up the car now. Probably about a 2 hour wait to get it through Korean customs.
I'll post up some pics once I have it.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
I only bothered to take one once we stopped to eat on the way back home because the car is filthy.
More to come. With an update on the misfire.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Misfire was just a bad connection under the coil cover. Car has finally been cleaned polished and waxed.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #15

Drives: 1983 280zx
Club ID#: 64049

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Wow, man!! The car already looks great but some HD pics really make it pop. Looks great!
kendostick is offline   Reply With Quote