how much is a nissan skyline r33 worth? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Club ID#: 64898

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
how much is a nissan skyline r33 worth?

hello guys I'm a new member I was just trying to get some opinions on how much a nissan skyline r33 is worth. I was looking to buy one from the guy just want to know whether his asking price ($25,000)is a good price ? or how much it is worth?

96 Nissan Skyline R33 Upgrade List

-Radiator Hose Kit
-Haltech Dual Channel Wideband Controller
-Haltech Boost Control Solenoid
-Rear Valve Cover "Half Moon Plugs"
-Cometic PRO2016T StreetPro Top End Gasket 87mm x .051
-Nissan OEM Timing Belt Component Kit
-ARP 202-4301 Head Stud Kit
-Nissan OEM Knock Sensor
-Nissan OEM Timing Belt
-Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
-Raw Brokerage Fuel Rail
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit
-Decked Head
-3" Turbo Outlet Downpipe Raw Brokerage V-Band
-Raw Brokerage Top Mount Turbo Exhaust Manifold
-Cometic Exhaust Manifold Gasket
- 2x TiAL MVS 38mm External Wastegates
-TiAL BOV Q
-Precision Billet CEA 6266 Trubo
-Cometic Intake Manifold Gasket
-ISIS Intake Manifold
-Haltech PRO Plug-in ECU
-Haltech PRO Plug-in Auxiliary Harness
-Haltech Air Temperature Sensor
-BC Coilovers
-Apexi Test Pipe
-Kakimoto N1 Exhaust
-HID Headlight Upgrade
-SPEC stage 2 clutch
-Walboro 400lph fuel pump
-Aeromotive inline fuel filter
-Fuel lines (-8 feed/ -6 return)
-AEM A/F gauge
-AEM Boost gauge

Current Mileage: 116671 Km (72,495 miles)
Any and all opinions, recommendations are appreciated. thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01414_49RqvwWHLBn_600x450.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	87482  
tandries is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Banned from Site

Drives: R33 GTST Spec 1
Club ID#: 27972

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (9)

View My Pictures
It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay haha
You might be better off asking in a USA based forum as prices hear differ to the other side of the pond
LunaticLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
No way to $25k is that federally legal. The motorex R33's go for between $45k - $60k. Check the bond release paperwork. If he doesn't have it, it's 100% illegal.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You didn't mention whether you're in the US or Canada but assuming the former, as Barong02 said that car is very likely illegal if the seller wants just $25K. The handful of legal R33s in the US trade for over double that. If you're in the US and you buy this car, you could face seizure from the DOT. Only 25-year old Skylines and the handful of Motorex cars are legal currently in the US. R33s aren't 25 years old yet so unless that's a Motorex car there's no way that R33 is in the country legally.

If you're in Canada where R33s are already legal then it's best to go to the GTR Canada forum to ask about the going rate for cars like that.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
Shaker

Drives: 08 Trailblazer
Club ID#: 65106

Country Flag

View My Pictures
some of you are wrong

I just joined this thread and I see there is some bad info going around. The following quote was taken from a link I will post at the end of this.

"The agency therefore partially rescinded its grant of eligibility, leaving only R33 model Nissan GTS and GTR passenger cars manufactured between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 eligible for importation."

Too many people are being misguided about this and not doing their research. Below is the NHTSA.gov website I got this from. I highly recommend people read that page!

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Appendix

The end of the 3rd paragraph is where I pulled the quote from. Again, I know I'm new on here, but before the know-it-alls flame me for something, read up on the link.

And OP, save some of your cash and import one from Japan for WAY less. The FOB price on the one I am looking at is less then $10k. I can pick it up from a port and drive it home after paying taxes, customs fees and gas. Far under $25k.

Last edited by Shaker313; 01-09-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Shaker313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker313 View Post
And OP, save some of your cash and import one from Japan for WAY less. The FOB price on the one I am looking at is less then $10k. I can pick it up from a port and drive it home after paying taxes, customs fees and gas. Far under $25k.
Welcome to the forum. We've been doing this for years, so we understand a bit more than you're giving credit for.

You can import R32's as long as they're 89's or manufactured in the current month or prior for 90's.

For R33's, legally speaking, yes you can import them. The current R33's and even some R34's were grandfathered in by a company named motorex. Now motorex paid JK technologies to modify the cars to certain compliance specs upon importation and only motorex has exactly the blueprints for what needs to be done to make each car compliance. It's their proprietary knowledge since they had to crash 3 of each make in order to obtain the certifications to modify and import them.

You as an individual cannot import one. Motorex was the only importer qualified with the modification specs, which is why no other RI imports skylines today. So unless you have a couple hundred thousand $'s laying around to crash 3 just for testing, then you can't replicate and obtain the testing data for the compliance mods. Conversely, you could talk to Sean Morris, who was an integral part of Motorex, who will tell you to screw off.

Prices of R33's go from $45k+ because they cannot be imported at this point in time because no one except motorex has their compliance requirements. Feel free to go drop $10k and import one and "prove me wrong", but I guarantee you won't get it out of the port without an RI who can provide the specs for the mods they'll be making to make it compliant.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
Shaker

Drives: 08 Trailblazer
Club ID#: 65106

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I know all about the Motorex scandal and the grandfathered in R34s. I have spoken with several CBP agents at the Miami, Seattle, and LA ports. All of them confirmed with the info I posted that certain years of the R33 can be imported thanks to Motorex and them using the R33 Skylines as crash test dummies. Now they are legal for import. I battled with Customs when I was stationed in Germany regarding bringing in my old 1988 Supra. This was back in 2010. I had a friend in Clarksville TN that has a legally imported R33 GTST. He shelled out right around $12k to have it shipped to his door. I looked at his customs paperwork. He had the importation stamp, auction paperwork, and another form or two that he had to take to the port to pick it up. He paid a lot more for his because of the condition. Slightly modified from the seller. I think the car sold for close to $6500.

When it comes time for me to import mine I will call Customs again just to double and triple check so I don't get stuck at the port with a skyline that can fit in my lunchbox..... not going to risk it being crushed.
Shaker313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker313 View Post
I know all about the Motorex scandal and the grandfathered in R34s. I have spoken with several CBP agents at the Miami, Seattle, and LA ports. All of them confirmed with the info I posted that certain years of the R33 can be imported thanks to Motorex and them using the R33 Skylines as crash test dummies. Now they are legal for import. I battled with Customs when I was stationed in Germany regarding bringing in my old 1988 Supra. This was back in 2010. I had a friend in Clarksville TN that has a legally imported R33 GTST. He shelled out right around $12k to have it shipped to his door. I looked at his customs paperwork. He had the importation stamp, auction paperwork, and another form or two that he had to take to the port to pick it up. He paid a lot more for his because of the condition. Slightly modified from the seller. I think the car sold for close to $6500.

When it comes time for me to import mine I will call Customs again just to double and triple check so I don't get stuck at the port with a skyline that can fit in my lunchbox..... not going to risk it being crushed.
Read that link you posted above again and make sure you understand it. Barong02 explained it to you already but just so that it's simple and clear:

1) Yes, R33 Skylines are TECHNICALLY importable per the DOT VCP-32 ruling.

2) BUT in order to do so you have to get a registered importer to do the required modifications. The only importer that has the info for those modifications is JK Technologies that did the initial work for Motorex and they are protected trade secrets due to the Motorex fiasco.

3) MAYBE JK Technologies will comply an R33 for you but it will be at considerable cost. A Motorex Skyline owner I talked to said he heard JK agreed to do one R33 LM but it cost $30K. Other people I've talked to have said currently JK Technologies isn't interested in doing any imports currently especially with the R33 only a few years away from eligibility. I've even talked personally to Sean Morris who helped Motorex with their importation back then and as of now you can't get an R33 Federally legal unless you can get JK Technologies to do it for you.

Just because you talked to individual CBP agents and they said "Uh huh, that sounds legit." doesn't mean they know the legalities in entirety. CBP isn't the one seizing black market Skylines, DOT is.

And we'd all love to see your friend's DOT bond release for that supposedly legal R33.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Club ID#: 64898

View My Pictures
Yes I went an met the guy, he has a tag, registration, and the insurance.. all of it. I mean he drove it to were we met so I sure it's legal.
Btw im in the USA. i didn't know this wasn't a USA forum. lol I clicked the USA part and it took me here so idk.
tandries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandries View Post
Yes I went an met the guy, he has a tag, registration, and the insurance.. all of it. I mean he drove it to were we met so I sure it's legal.
Btw im in the USA. i didn't know this wasn't a USA forum. lol I clicked the USA part and it took me here so idk.
You're in the right place if you're in the US - the reason we were asking if you're in Canada is because there's no separate Canadian forum so sometimes you'll see Canadian owners post here too.

As for the R33, tags, reg, and insurance doesn't guarantee a Skyline is legal. That just means it's legal on a state level but for a car to be FULLY legal it has to be legal federally as well. If you need more clarification on the difference, read my primer on imported JDM cars here:

23GT: Buying Your Own JDM Car Part 1: One Shade of Grey (What's Legal And What's Not)

A federally legal R33 will have a DOT bond release letter that states the car was cleared by the Feds for import. If the car doesn't have one then it's NOT legal. If this R33 you're looking at is fully legal the seller should have no problem showing you his bond release.

It looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xSFHcSyzyS...ondrelease.JPG

A car with no bond release is one that's in danger of being seized by the feds any minute.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandries View Post
So just to be clear, just because he has a license plate and registration doesn't mean it's legal and that you would be able to register it. That simple means it's state legal, which is very common.

The most important thing to check is bond release paperwork. This is the paperwork that you receive once the registered importer provides proof that the proper safety and emissions work was done to your car. This then allows the federal government to release your car as legal. Literally, this is the only thing you can check to determine if you car is federally legal.