An R33 enters the US legally for the first time in over a decade - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
An R33 enters the US legally for the first time in over a decade

I thought people here would be interested in this little development: Rivsu Imports of Florida has gotten JK Technologies - the registered importer that worked with Motorex before - to import an R33 GT-R LM Limited for them.

Here's more info:

23GT: Motorex Redux: An R33 GT-R Enters The Country Legally
Advertisement

Old 27-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 Gtr mnp
Club ID#: 7065

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (9)

View My Pictures
Wow

Owned: R33 gtst 4 door and Silver R34 gtt 1998, white R34 Gtt 2001. Now have a R33GTR
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
That is awesome! Looks like they got it over under the show and display law. Just 5 more years for the rest to start coming over.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barong02 View Post
That is awesome! Looks like they got it over under the show and display law. Just 5 more years for the rest to start coming over.
It's actually not a show or display car. It's fully legalized under VCP-32 by JK Technologies the same way they did the Motorex cars way back when. The bond release would say if it was imported under a show or display exemption - my Nismo was initially imported under show or display so I know what the DOT letter for show or display looks like. This bond release posted by Rivsu is exactly like the ones for the old Motorex imports.
Old 28-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
So JK Technologies is now licensing or took the compliance docs from Motorex without doing their own crash testing? That would imply that they're able to import more R33's, so why would they wait until now and import such a high profile car?
Old 28-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
So JK Technologies is now licensing or took the compliance docs from Motorex without doing their own crash testing? That would imply that they're able to import more R33's, so why would they wait until now and import such a high profile car?
JK had the compliance info all along because they were actually the ones contracted by Motorex to do the development work on how to legalize the cars in the first place so they had the right to keep the info after Motorex went bust.

As to why they waited, only they know the exact reasons but what we can guess at is that immediately after Motorex they probably didn't want to take the risk especially since they did apply to try and legalize the R34 and the DOT refused to grant them permission. The environment at DOT hasn't exactly been friendly to Skylines since Motorex so they probably didn't want the hassle. In this case the reason why they may have agreed to do this now is because Rivsu Imports was footing the bill - hence no risk to JK especially since Rivsu is a company rather than just a private individual - and now with all the R32s coming in legally they probably saw the potential profit to be made with legal R33s.

As I said in my blog post rumor has it this importation cost Rivsu $35K on top of the car so we'll have to wait and see if this was a one-off or whether there are enough well-heeled fans of the R33 to have this continue.
Old 29-10-2015, 03:47 AM   #7

Drives: R33 GT-R V-Spec
Club ID#: 63345

Country Flag

View My Pictures

Christ I got my Vspec for 11 in Japan,.....
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
It used to cost Motorex 30k for their import and mods, so $35k sounds about right.

How would JK have right to the R&D that Motorex paid for? Even if they did the modifications, it was because they were contracted out under Motorex as the RI. In normal businesses, anyone contracted out typically gives up any intellectual property rights and any assets they created during their employment.
Old 29-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
It used to cost Motorex 30k for their import and mods, so $35k sounds about right.

How would JK have right to the R&D that Motorex paid for? Even if they did the modifications, it was because they were contracted out under Motorex as the RI. In normal businesses, anyone contracted out typically gives up any intellectual property rights and any assets they created during their employment.
I'm no lawyer and without being privy to the contract between Motorex and JK I can't say for sure but maybe the rights to the technical data defaulted to JK when Motorex ceased to exist as an entity. I know the VCP-32 ruling specifically states that JK requested and was granted a confidentiality agreement regarding the compliance data by the NHTSA (quoted below) so they obviously thought they had the right to the info.

If you decide to import the vehicle, one potential complicating factor is that the RI who petitioned NHTSA to determine the Nissan Skyline eligible for importation requested, and was granted, confidentiality with respect to the modifications needed to conform to the vehicle to certain of the standards. As a consequence, that importer (J.K. Technologies, LLC of Baltimore, Maryland) has claimed a proprietary interest in the modifications covered by the confidentiality grant. This does not preclude other RIs from attempting to modify the vehicle. However, should those importers not gain access to the modifications covered by the grant confidentiality, they will have to demonstrate to the agency, at the time they submit a conformity certification package for a Skyline, that they have made equivalent modifications that permit the vehicle to comply with the standards covered by the confidentiality grant.