easy mods - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #1

Club ID#: 68274

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
easy mods

Hey guys, just bought my 91 GTR from Derek and having a few questions about mods.
The car I bought was in relatively low mileage, I felt like the previous owner didn't drive it or care it much so there's many small issues. Overall, I think the engine runs great except for the misfire(which Derek said he'll replace all the coils on the GTRs next month).
I'm thinking about having some light and inexpensive mods like the front mount inter cooler, without sacrificing the engine's reliability, can you guys think of some mods which can boost the car up somewhere near 400hp at the crank and keep the cost under 1k?
Thanks
GaTech Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Ptsssshh

Drives: R32 GT-R
Club ID#: 48363

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Easy, re-tune with 1 bar (14 psi) boost
Old 06-12-2015, 04:01 AM   #3

View My Pictures
with an aftermarket ECU?
GaTech Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Ptsssshh

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Not familiar with the stock ECU, but it should compensate for the extra airflow (someone that actually tried this using a stock ecu will hopefully come in and correct me if I'm wrong).

About 400 crank hp on an RB26 should be as easy as:
1. Remove the boost limiter in the line to the boost solenoid, should get you to 14 psi.
2. Make sure the air filter isn't clogged.
3. Run it on premium gasoline and adjust the ignition, watch out for detonation!

It's when you try to get past 450-500 that all your money does a magic trick and disappear

Some moneypits I've found VS power output...

At 450-500 hp, you need bigger injectors & AFM's or MAP sensor (+ ecu to handle this), boost control & aftermarket air filter. Start worrying about the clutch too..
At 500-550 hp, you should consider forged internals & reinforced head gasket, you need bigger turbos & bigger exhaust
At 550-600 hp, you need a bigger fuel pump & fuel pressure regulator, also think the stock ignition system will start to fail around here.
600+ Throw away that stock intercooler, get some badass camshafts, happy boosting!

Then there are a lot of other things to consider, depending on usage and where you live:
-Bigger radiator
-External oil cooler
-Better oil pump & water pump
-Swirl pot for safer fuel delivery
-Break system upgrade
-Handling

Those things are on top of the "to-do" list if you intend to track the car and push it hard, 3 things that kills the engines are overheating, bad lubrication & a bad tune.

Last edited by K_arlstrom; 06-12-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Forgot the clutch!
K_arlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_arlstrom View Post
Not familiar with the stock ECU, but it should compensate for the extra airflow (someone that actually tried this using a stock ecu will hopefully come in and correct me if I'm wrong).

About 400 crank hp on an RB26 should be as easy as:
1. Remove the boost limiter in the line to the boost solenoid, should get you to 14 psi.
2. Make sure the air filter isn't clogged.
3. Run it on premium gasoline and adjust the ignition, watch out for detonation!

It's when you try to get past 450-500 that all your money does a magic trick and disappear

Some moneypits I've found VS power output...

At 450-500 hp, you need bigger injectors & AFM's or MAP sensor (+ ecu to handle this), boost control & aftermarket air filter
At 500-550 hp, you should consider forged internals & reinforced head gasket, you need bigger turbos & bigger exhaust
At 550-600 hp, you need a bigger fuel pump & fuel pressure regulator, also think the stock ignition system will start to fail around here.
600+ Throw away that stock intercooler, get some badass camshafts, happy boosting!

Then there are a lot of other things to consider, depending on usage and where you live:
-Bigger radiator
-External oil cooler
-Better oil pump & water pump
-Swirl pot for safer fuel delivery
-Break system upgrade
-Handling

Those things are on top of the "to-do" list if you intend to track the car and push it hard, 3 things that kills the engines are overheating, bad lubrication & a bad tune.
Thanks for the info!
That was brilliant!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
Ptsssshh

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTech Skyline View Post
Thanks for the info!
That was brilliant!
No worries, would have saved me a lot of time if I found a list of that when I first bought mine
I remembered another thing, since your car is a 1991, you might have the old and weak oil pump drive, more information here !
Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #7

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_arlstrom View Post
No worries, would have saved me a lot of time if I found a list of that when I first bought mine
I remembered another thing, since your car is a 1991, you might have the old and weak oil pump drive, more information here !
That's a really great article. Now it got me thinking just to get a new oil pump or an aftermarket one.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Check out the FAQ's. They literally spell out all the mods required at the different stages and expected power levels.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote