Skyline Maintenance Costs? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GSX-R35
  • 1 Post By Monte0704

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22-01-2016, 02:25 AM   #1

Club ID#: 70266

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Skyline Maintenance Costs?

Good afternoon,

I've been interested in a Skyline for roughly 8-9 years now. And I have waited patiently for the 25 year law, which thanks to last year I can now purchase a R32 GT-R legally. I've been doing countless hours of research, my main thing I came across was the maintenance cost of the GT-R.

One user said "If you can't afford 2 GT-R's you can't afford one." This scared me, as I'm close to Japanese Classics and want one extremely bad. I've talked to multiple dealers about it, but fearing they're just telling me what I want to hear.

When I physically go to Japanese Classics and actually see their inventory of GT-R's and ask questions about parts, daily maintenance done, and anything else that can lower my chances of having to shell out tons of money. I rarely post on forums, but it seems this is the way I can get my specific question answered. Thank you all again!
Squidoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-2016, 02:35 AM   #2

Club ID#: 70218

View My Pictures
I'm no expert but from what I hear is you get what you pay for so if you drop 20g's then you should be sitting with a very clean car that needs basic mx any 25yr car reqs.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 gtst
Club ID#: 51010

Country Flag

View My Pictures
General maintenance is fine. No more expensive than any other performance car i find.

But id imagine with them only just being allowed into the us a year ago,and probably not a huge amount of them around yet, parts would probably be ridiculous money there for a few years to come.

E.g a second hand gear box in the uk for an rb25 is roughly 500/600...id dread to think how much it would he in the us lol
Ep82jm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Basic maintenance on a Skyline isn't too bad, it's when parts break that it gets expensive and that's where the problem lies. Even a well-kept R32 is going to be a 25-year old car so chances are high something eventually will let go. It's even more of an issue of course if it's been fiddled with and/or not been maintained well like a lot of examples.

Being told you need to be able to afford 2 R32s to keep 1 is an exaggeration but there's definitely a germ of truth to it. I know I've spent more than my initial purchase price now on my car but in my case we're restoring it stem to stern with a brand new engine, new paint, and a shitton of upgraded parts so it'll be a new car when it's all said and done.

Basically, if you want an R32 - especially a GT-R - you have to budget for the initial purchase price, basic maintenance, and a little emergency money if something goes wrong. Don't buy one with all your savings and not plan ahead, no matter how good the car's condition 'cause old cars are just that, old, and things will break.

To get a better start on things, read my article on R32 preventive maintenance in the US to get an idea of what the initial stuff will cost and what other stuff is needed going forward.

23GT: Fixing What Ain't Broke: R32 Skyline Preventive Maintenance
V-SpecII likes this.
Old 22-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Club ID#: 61033

Country Flag

View My Pictures
So.... I spent my entire savings on an R32 GTR.

I've had the car for 4 months.

I spent 22k on the car, its clean as fu**, nearly stock, great car and I love it.

On maintenance, tuning (so I can run 92 octane), and parts I've spent over 5k, in 4 months. The clutch release bearing went out. I decided to do a bit of learning and drop the transmission myself, while the car was on jackstands, partially because I cant afford to have someone else do it, and because I wanted to learn.

I will say that the skyline is a pretty easy car to work on. Not too much BS, and everything is pretty accessible.

I'm doing alright with it, so you could too.

However, to not have to worry about it, I would make sure you've got 35-40k to spend on the car. Maybe not in one go, but over time, you WILL dump that much, and probably a lot more, into the car. They need meticulous maintenance.
ApexJunky likes this.
Monte0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Club ID#: 70266

View My Pictures
Thanks guys for all the help, the GT-Rs they sell are all above 20k and really just wanted to know before I dove straight in. I'll still be looking over the cars with a fine tooth comb. Again thank you, you guys really put my mind at ease!
Squidoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 14716

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Compression test it and do a leak down test too if you can.

Check for rust.

Check the oil pressure.

Check the gearbox doesn't crunch at higher speeds.

The R32 has a short snout crank. Dont rev the fcuk out of it.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #8

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Club ID#: 61033

Country Flag

View My Pictures
These are pretty much the bullet points.

Compression test will tell you everything you need to know, really.

It's a Nissan, so it rusts. Everywhere. Check the fender wells and strut towers. Take all the carpet and foam out of the truck and look for rust down there.

Oil pressure is everything. On a cold start it should be 3.8 bar (The gauge isnt bar, but close enough)

After getting warm, at an idle, it will sometimes look like zero. When you touch the accelerator, it should come back. I had one time it was at 2 bar, and then dropped all the way to 0 while i was looking at it.

I had a heart attack. But its just the sending unit that went out.

Third gear is usually what goes first in the tranny.

Never rev an RB26 to redline. For the love of fcuk, dont bounce it off the limiter.
Monte0704 is offline   Reply With Quote