Question for Canadian R34 GTR owners - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #1

Club ID#: 70530

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Question for Canadian R34 GTR owners

Tried posting this in the general section but I wasn't able to start a thread. Also, tried looking for a Canadian section and couldn't find that as well.

My question is if you have a registered r34 gtr in canada, can you drive your car or trailer it over into the US without issue? I'm assuming all you have to show is the title and registration and you can be on your way.

I ask this because I'm selling my fully built supra in the spring and I have a relative in canada.

I could buy an r34, have cousin register it, trailer it into the US, show customs the paperwork and tell them we'll be back, park car in garage for next 8 yrs, hands me the paper work, cousin goes home and takes the car off his name and return the plates. How does that sound?

I probably sound mad but I honestly have no problem leaving the car stored for 8 yrs until I can get the paperwork and register it as a classic.
76mmhardtopsup is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-01-2016, 05:20 AM   #2

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Club ID#: 61033

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Sounds awesome, honestly. I am not sure how the whole 'I'll be back thing works'.

Honestly, its a pretty good idea. When it becomes legal, you can just 'buy' it from him and import it legally!
Monte0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

Club ID#: 70530

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte0704 View Post
Sounds awesome, honestly. I am not sure how the whole 'I'll be back thing works'.

Honestly, its a pretty good idea. When it becomes legal, you can just 'buy' it from him and import it legally!
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into it. Really hope there's a canadian owner that can chime in.
76mmhardtopsup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1995 skyline GTR
Club ID#: 24827

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You're allowed to drive your vehicle across country borders. People do it all the time. You're only allowed to keep your vehicle in the US up to 1 yr though. Not sure if you need special permission to do it that long though. Either way, if you're trying to import the car legally in 8 years, you'll need to bring is into the US at that point. You can't just have the car sit in Montana for 8 years and then just show up at the DMV. Honestly, what you're recommending is illegal and it makes everyone else who owns legal skylines in the US hate you. It brings much unwanted attention to the skyline scene because of people trying to scam the system.
Barong02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
How about this idea:

You buy the Canadian R34, cousin keeps it and drives it for short periods from time to time so it doesn't turn into an unusable mess ('cause cars hate being unused for years on end and all), in eight years you bring it over legally, and in the process you avoid committing a Federal crime and also avoid giving others the same idea that could land them in jail?

Did I FIFY?

That's what I'm planning in doing with either my brother in Oz or a cousin in Canada. Legal is good, legal is awesome.