I need some r32 guidance. - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #1

Drives:
Club ID#: 71625

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
I need some r32 guidance.

I would like to purchase and r32 GTR. I'm just trying to get everything lined up. Its a car I've always wanted and now have the ability to get ahold of.

My questions are:

Where to buy? I'm curious if anyone has experience with rightdriveusa.com. Other than that I'm open to options. I would like to go to a reputable dealer that offered financing as I would like to finance a portion of it. I'm also located in Indiana if anyone knows of anywhere close.

What do I need to know about these cars maintenance wise? Are there any quirky things, special tools, or uncommon fluids?

Also what should I look for in the car? I'd like a "stockish" one (I understand stock will be hard to find). What mileage is reasonable? And what sort of modifications are reasonable?

I should also state that I would like to drive this car a decent amount. To work which is a 60mi round trip and road trips.

Thanks in advance.
Krisfort is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
A lot of the stuff you want to know I've discussed quite a bit on my blog:

23gt.blogspot.com

Be happy to answer any other questions not covered there by PM or you can contact me on the blog. I have some more specific answers but unfortunately I have nutritional needs to take care of and can only do a short post before dinner lol.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 AM   #3

Drives:

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thank you I tried to read it earlier when I saw you link it on another post. However my phone wasn't agreeing with me so I couldn't get to far.
Krisfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 56393

View My Pictures
I'm in Korea for another 11 days, I'm I've arranged shipping so that it arrives in July when it becomes legal. I'll be buying another 1, or 2, or 3...when I get there.
You can PM me any questions you may have.
I purchased mine through a reputable exporter who lives in Japan and buys them for his customers at auction.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisfort View Post
I would like to purchase and r32 GTR. I'm just trying to get everything lined up. Its a car I've always wanted and now have the ability to get ahold of.

My questions are:

Where to buy? I'm curious if anyone has experience with rightdriveusa.com. Other than that I'm open to options. I would like to go to a reputable dealer that offered financing as I would like to finance a portion of it. I'm also located in Indiana if anyone knows of anywhere close.

I didn't buy my car from Rightdrive but have dealt with them for parts. They were very helpful with sourcing some harder-to-find stuff and I've seen other people who've bought cars from them with no issues. In the Northeast you can also try Japanese Classics as a reputable dealer. They're in Virginia and have been featured on Motorweek and Jalopnik. I don't know if either of them offer financing. The one importer I know that has helped people get financing is International Vehicle Importers. I bought my car from them but didn't finance. They're a reliable dealer but pretty far from where you are since they're in SoCal. Be warned though that getting financing on an R32 isn't easy since most places won't even consider doing it due to the car's age and lack of a US VIN. If you have excellent credit you have other options which I discussed on my blog in my buying guide.

What do I need to know about these cars maintenance wise? Are there any quirky things, special tools, or uncommon fluids?

Basic maintenance is not too different from any other car and no special tools required. Most consumables may not be available readily at your local Pep Boys but are easy to order online. It's only some GT-R specific parts that don't need replacement very often like the timing belt or wheel bearings that you'd have to do some digging for.

Also what should I look for in the car? I'd like a "stockish" one (I understand stock will be hard to find). What mileage is reasonable? And what sort of modifications are reasonable?

If you want the least headache the simple rule is get as close to stock as possible with as low mileage as possible. Read my blog post on inspecting a car for more details.

I should also state that I would like to drive this car a decent amount. To work which is a 60mi round trip and road trips.

A well-kept and fairly stock R32 can be a reliable car but I don't recommend having it as an only car since it is 25-years old after all and if something breaks you'll probably be in for a 2-week wait to get parts. If you have another reliable car it'd be better to use that as your main daily driver to minimize wear and tear on the R32.

Thanks in advance.
Had some time today for a more detailed reply.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Drives:

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R35 View Post
Had some time today for a more detailed reply.
Thank you. I do have another vehicle to drive. I always kept a jeep around because of the unpredictable weather in Indiana. It was 60 a few days ago, and now it is 20 and snowing...
Krisfort is offline   Reply With Quote