Good solution for the bunched window seals? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Drives: R32 GTS-T Sedan
Club ID#: 70466

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Good solution for the bunched window seals?

hey guys i know you all know about the common problem with the door window seals hardening up and bunching up looking terrible. Anybody have a good solution on what to replace them with and if you tell me to get new ones, please send me a link then because i cant find them anywhere at all, especially for a 4 door
ClydeSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Got a pic of which part specifically is wrong on your car? On the R32 you have the rubber windowstripping but there's also some rubber trim on the metal weatherstrip retainers that tends to crack. The weatherstrip is cheap and easy enough to source but the metal retainers are much more expensive (at least on a GT-R, not so sure about a 4-door but I'd assume the same).
Old 17-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

View My Pictures
its the rubber window stripping that's the main issue, i don't have a picture but that is the stripping i'm referring to. can you fill me in? thanks
ClydeSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeSeminole View Post
its the rubber window stripping that's the main issue, i don't have a picture but that is the stripping i'm referring to. can you fill me in? thanks
Check out this pic from my blog:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TLHqHHGEAx...ing%2Bcopy.jpg

It's from my GT-R but the sedan should be similar. Are you having trouble with the weatherstrip at the bottom or the cracked rubber trim that's in the middle or both?
Old 17-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

View My Pictures
im having trouble with the weather stripping at the base of the window where the window goes down into
Old 17-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
im having trouble with the weather stripping at the base of the window where the window goes down into
From what you're saying it sounds like you're talking about the exterior molding and those have to be replaced if you want them fixed. Check out this page:

ENGINE IGNITION SYSTEM / nissan | part list?JP-CarParts.com

I think you're talking about 80820 and 80821 on the diagram for the front door at least. Again it would help to have a pic to be sure what it is you need.
Old 17-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #7

View My Pictures
yeah ill have to get a picture but i definitely know that site will help me get the parts i need for sure, thanks a lot man i appreciate the info
Old 17-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #8

Club ID#: 68274

View My Pictures
Quote:
hey guys i know you all know about the common problem with the door window seals hardening up and bunching up looking terrible. Anybody have a good solution on what to replace them with and if you tell me to get new ones, please send me a link then because i cant find them anywhere at all, especially for a 4 door
I'm gonna try to just dip over it and see. It should form a thick layer of rubber if I apply it enough.
GaTech Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTech Skyline View Post
I'm gonna try to just dip over it and see. It should form a thick layer of rubber if I apply it enough.
If you're talking about the door molding we're talking about just be careful to remove the felts from the inner side before you try to dip or refinish it so you avoid a potential mishap with your glass. The previous owner of my car let the felts get in a horrid state and it scratched up the glass something fierce.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #10

Club ID#: 68274

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R35 View Post
If you're talking about the door molding we're talking about just be careful to remove the felts from the inner side before you try to dip or refinish it so you avoid a potential mishap with your glass. The previous owner of my car let the felts get in a horrid state and it scratched up the glass something fierce.
Thanks for the tip! Actually I think I'm just gonna dip it while it's on the car. Dip it hard wherever there's a crack. I might get a replacement if I like the price but I'll let you guys know the result with dipping.
GaTech Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #11

View My Pictures
i'm pretty sure they're the 80834 and 80835 part #'s, not bad in price at all, are all those parts pretty much readily available usually?
Old 18-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
i'm pretty sure they're the 80834 and 80835 part #'s, not bad in price at all, are all those parts pretty much readily available usually?
That's the inner molding and yeah they're fairly inexpensive. They're easily available for the GT-Rs but not so sure about the 4-doors. Best way to find out is to actually place an inquiry with that shop or Amayama.com. The way they work is you put in an inquiry for a part, they check if it's actually available, and then you pay for it. You can cancel the order after they check availability even if it's in stock if for some reason you don't need it or don't like the price. I usually try inquiring at Amayama first 'cause they're usually much cheaper than JP Carparts.
Old 18-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #13

View My Pictures
chances are the gtr's are longer, but i'd just cut them to size and make them work cause the 4 door and a coupe are the same wheelbase so i'm pretty sure the coupe has a longer door, hey man thanks for all the insight. i bought the car at the end of April last year and got it in august, and i feel like i'm just starting to scratch the surface on where to source parts for these things
Old 19-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #14
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
chances are the gtr's are longer, but i'd just cut them to size and make them work cause the 4 door and a coupe are the same wheelbase so i'm pretty sure the coupe has a longer door, hey man thanks for all the insight. i bought the car at the end of April last year and got it in august, and i feel like i'm just starting to scratch the surface on where to source parts for these things
The coupe's are longer but I wouldn't recommend trying to cut them to fit. It's very likely the finish'll crack and you'll be right back where you started. I'm pretty confident you can easily get new ones from those sites I mentioned - I've ordered several parts now for my R32 that I thought there was no way they'd still be available but they were. The inner moldings are a fairly common replacement piece so sourcing new ones would be best I think.
Old 21-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #15

View My Pictures
okay, thanks for the input they just got back to me about the rear tie rod end ball joint. actually cheaper from there to us prices