New Skyline owner need help lost boost. - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #1

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR R32
Club ID#: 72273

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
New Skyline owner need help lost boost.

Hi all. I am very sad and upset. I recently bought my 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR R32 from the second owner with only 20,000 kilometers on the odometer and they are true miles. Well my car no longer idols/drives right. It now has only 22,357 kilometers. I was driving it and I noticed that when I went to change gears and took my foot off the gas the car would slow down as if I was pulling something and I heard a very faint noise. Well I went to my destination then on my way back I got on her a little when then got back to the state speed limit the car drove fine for about 1 mile. Then the car started acting funny. It felt as if I had no power. I look at my boost gauge and I couldn't go into positive boost. My oil gauge was normal and so was my temp gauge. I made it to an exit and parked in a gas station. Me and my girl went into Bojangles got some food, then smoked some cigs then I start her back up to see how she would run. She started right up and the car idols at 1 but if I would rev her up she would fall down to 0 bog and slowly work back up to 1 and idol fine. The engine didn't make any odd noises and didn't knock so I put on my hazards and drove her home very slowly. I made it home. Now she sits in my garage.

Since I have gotten her home here is what I have done to try to figure out what is wrong with her.

I used the obd1 port and pulled the code for maf sensor so I started her up and I unplugged the top maf for turbo nearest to firewall and the car stalled. I plug it back in and start her up again. Then I unplug the front turbo maf and the car didn't stall she kept running. I googled about the maf and I took it apart resoldered the 4 connection for the plug. I reinstalled it plug her up start her up unplug it and she stalled. I then disconnect the lead battery terminal for 10 minutes. After ten minutes I rescan her and I get code 55 which is no malfunction! I was so happy I thought I fixed my problem. I start her up and she idols fine but still I rev her up she drops to 0 bog her way back up to 1 rpm.

I drove her around the block and I can't boost at all. She will hit 1 that's it. Oh yeah before this problem occurred she would backfire when I would change gears. And when I rev her up she spits out thick black grime.

Here is what I know about my cars set up. I have a cat back exhaust, a turbo timer, a manual boost controller, two blow off valves and I think the rest of the car is stock. I had the boost set to 12. So she would boost higher then 12. The blow off valves are in front of the driver wheel inside the bumper and I can't make out the name of them. I did notice some things capped off in the engine bay.

I looked for bad vacuum lines, I check the intercooler piping for loose connections and found none. I can't get to the blow off valves to see if they ar stuck open. I removed the boost controller to see if that was the problem but it didn't make a difference.

Can anyone tell me how to diagnose what my problem is? Can I go buy a scanner from somewhere that would tell me what's wrong? Should I take it to Nissan? I need help I paid a very pretty penny for this car and I want to fix it but I am not sure what the problem is.

Pic of something I found today two cut hoses and one other disconnected hose with metal pipe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	96353
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	96361
alphasurf is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Have you tried changing out the fuel filter or changing the spark plugs? I was having boost cut, bad. Mine would fall flat on it's face if I gave it too much gas. After changing my spark plugs I found that one of my coil pack harness connectors had disintegrated. After I changed that it was happy again. Then, it started idling weird and would stall out every once in a while. And, after a week of that the fuel pump went out. Now, I changed that and it seems to be in working order.

If your vaccum lines seem to be in check I'd do a full tune up before you take it somewhere. Also, I doubt the Nissan dealer would know left from right with this car. As, they've never sold an RB engine in the states. If it comes down to it, I would take it to a performance shop. Or, even better yet ask the importer for help.
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thanks for the advice Skyrine
alphasurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasurf View Post
Thanks for the advice Skyrine
No problem! And, if you don't mind me asking, who did you get your sky from?
Old 23-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Do you have a copy of the service manual and engine manual?

After you try the basics like Skyrine recommended, you might want to look through the manuals if you haven't already. There are a bunch of possible reasons for your car not running right.

Here's a link if you don't have them already:

Index of /dokument
Old 23-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #6

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Okay I just used a paper clip and pulling codes 21 and 34. 21 is ignition signal and 34 is knock sensor. Any help please? Actually I was checking the coil packs and tried starting it with out reconnecting the harness. Before I pulled code 55 maybe I am getting these codes due to trying to start her with the coil harness disconnected. I am going to clear the ecu memory and drive her around the block and see if the codes come back.

Last edited by alphasurf; 23-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 23-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Okay still pulling codes 21 & 34. Need help I don't even own this car for a whole week yet. I'm starting to regret buying it and I paid a lot for it due to its mileage.
Old 24-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasurf View Post
Okay still pulling codes 21 & 34. Need help I don't even own this car for a whole week yet. I'm starting to regret buying it and I paid a lot for it due to its mileage.
That's the thing about getting 25+ year old cars with low mileage. Things are going to become brittle and go bad from it not being used as much. But, I have been proven wrong before.

Either way, you definitely should start replacing all the perishable parts before going any further. I've got the feeling that you still have all the oem parts in it. Used a lot or not 25 years is a very long time for stuff to not go wrong. That and considering the atmospheric changes on the car too. From Japan to the US.

I would change the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, coil pack harness (if you feel it's needed), and air filter. Also, bleed your coolant. You'll probably also need to change some fuel lines as they could be very brittle and could on the brink of falling apart and the last you want to do is fuel starve a turbocharged engine.

As for the codes, I would reset your ecu. To do that you need to disconnect the battery > turn the key in the "on" position (to drain all the electronics of power) > and pump the brakes (I did it until it was hard). Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. The car NEEDS to be on a level ground with the wheels straight (so it doesn't confuse the HICAS). After, turn the car on and let it sit for 15 minutes and idle. Then, take it for a cruise.