In the market for coilovers - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
In the market for coilovers

I'm looking for a good set of coilovers for my R32 GTS-t. I do a good heap of road racing so, harsh cornering is going to be a thing, but this car is also my daily. I've been looking up on some reviews and such and also the difference before pillow ball and rubber mounts. Anyway, I came to the fork in the road between Ksport Kontrols and BC BR-series.

Ksport = pillowball
BC = Rubber

I know that pillowball will probably make more noise but, it's better for the road racing. And, the rubber is vice versa. I just wanted some opinions on the brands, and if you have a better suggestion in that price range (preferably under 1k USD) Then, I'll have an open mind.

Also, I have experienced Ksport before. My dad has a set on his Integra and it handles beautifully. I know that the Integra and the Skyline are like apples to giraffes but from a suspension stand point, I think Ksport are great.
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I guess no one on here knows anything about coilovers?
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Drives: R32 GTS-T Sedan
Club ID#: 70466

View My Pictures
if you do a good heap of road racing, might as well dish out the coin for a set of JRZ's, one and done
ClydeSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeSeminole View Post
if you do a good heap of road racing, might as well dish out the coin for a set of JRZ's, one and done
I'd rather get an RB25 swap for the price of those.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrine View Post
I'd rather get an RB25 swap for the price of those.
haha yeah or a whole other car, idk im in the same boat as you owning a gts-t.....kinda just surf the web till you end up with a good variety of spots that sell suspension for our car, thats what i do......also check out drift works full suspension upgrade kit
Skyrine likes this.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
haha yeah or a whole other car, idk im in the same boat as you owning a gts-t.....kinda just surf the web till you end up with a good variety of spots that sell suspension for our car, thats what i do......also check out drift works full suspension upgrade kit

I just ordered this set ISC Suspension N1 Basic Coilovers for Nissan Skyline R32 - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

They're ISC Coilovers 12k/8k. They seem like any other coilover (they're pretty much the same Taiwan made stuff). BUT! The kicker, the main reason I bought them is because they offer a 5 year warranty. That is crazy! They shipped from Enjuku for 930$ Which is a lot but, for coilovers it isn't. I'll update when they come in.

Also, I talked with Enjuku to confirm that they are for a GTS-t. From what they said it's only for a GTS-t.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

View My Pictures
awesome bro, i was just thinking that about the application cause it doesnt say exactly which 32 but for a 5 year warranty, i might ditch my "starter coilovers" for those things
Old 06-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
awesome bro, i was just thinking that about the application cause it doesnt say exactly which 32 but for a 5 year warranty, i might ditch my "starter coilovers" for those things
I actually called Enjuku and also emailed them about that. They said that the coilovers are for the GTS-t and that ISC is still trying to produce one for the GTR.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
I found this off of ISC's website. It looks like they have them all. I would just specify which model you have and give them the following part number

Old 18-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Club ID#: 75778

View My Pictures
Hey there, I have HSD Monopro coilovers and I love them. They are also very near your budget.

'90 R32
PunkMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
Seasoned Member

Drives: Series III White R33 GTR with 400R bodykit.
Club ID#: 17542

View My Pictures
Have you looked at Tein? I've had 3 different types over the years and always been pleased with them. If you can stretch the budget, Ohlins and Nitron coilovers.
Old 23-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrine View Post
I just ordered this set ISC Suspension N1 Basic Coilovers for Nissan Skyline R32 - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

They're ISC Coilovers 12k/8k. They seem like any other coilover (they're pretty much the same Taiwan made stuff). BUT! The kicker, the main reason I bought them is because they offer a 5 year warranty. That is crazy! They shipped from Enjuku for 930$ Which is a lot but, for coilovers it isn't. I'll update when they come in.

Also, I talked with Enjuku to confirm that they are for a GTS-t. From what they said it's only for a GTS-t.
Already got a set, as said in this quote. Always read the whole thread before making a comment

Anywho, I guess it's about that time to go over how I like them. I love them. They've so far been my favorite set of coilovers. The ride is pretty comfy and smooth considering the 12k/8k rate, but doesn't sacrifice too much road feel. These coils are very daily-able, and I really enjoy driving with them at the normal limit.

Now, from the road racing perspective. From messing with the damper, and tuning it ever so slightly (tuned, is that the word for it?) in the rain. I got a really good position that works for me. I'm more about grip than drift, so my setup might differ. I've got the front damper set to 7 and the rear set to 3. It balances pretty well (skylines are known for the heavier front ends, which cause understeer. Tune accordingly.) I feel as my braking performance, turn in stability, and overall control (over OEM) has changed dramatically. Although I still have a lot of work to do, I feel these ISC coilovers have got me set in the right direction and greatly improved my lap times.

Finally, the gripes. The cons to this coilover is, they don't have a built in camber adjustment. Not a huge deal to me (I can always get the toe arms that adjust) but, just thought I would mention it. When things get bouncy, they get bouncy. Like all coilovers they're gonna be bouncy when the ride starts to get rough. I haven't personally been in a car with coils that didn't do this. Again, not a big deal but thought I should mention it.

The conclusion. I really enjoy the ISC coilovers and definitely recommend them to every skyline owner. They come with the 5 year warranty (only through Enjuku, I believe), aggressive spring rates, decently smooth ride, outstanding road course/track performance, and 32-way damper control. I highly recommend these coils as they aren't too pricy (I think my total came out to 927$ with the shipping), and just right for my needs.
anthonymcgrath likes this.
Old 23-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Seasoned Member

Drives: erm nowt right now :/
Club ID#: 8089

Trade Feedback: (31)

View My Pictures
Love that last comment and advice on setup for road cornering (as opposed to drifting) which I'm equally fond of myself. I might have a play with damper settings myself after reading that
I'm currently on ohlins and they are lovely. Ran tein in the past too they were nice. That said oem 33gtr suspension with white line anti roll bars was lovely too if i could get one of those for my 32 I'd love to fit one again.

Is it Meister R that do a coil over set? Are those any good?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=204573
anthonymcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
Love that last comment and advice on setup for road cornering (as opposed to drifting) which I'm equally fond of myself. I might have a play with damper settings myself after reading that
I'm currently on ohlins and they are lovely. Ran tein in the past too they were nice. That said oem 33gtr suspension with white line anti roll bars was lovely too if i could get one of those for my 32 I'd love to fit one again.

Is it Meister R that do a coil over set? Are those any good?

Lots of drifters like R32s, and I can definitely see why. But, there isn't enough talk about road racing for these cars. They make great road cornering machines. I've heard of ohlins and tein to be good choices too. I haven't heard of the Meister R set. Sounds cool though. Instead of using oem R33 suspension with roll bars, why not get uprated sway bars for your R32? They make a dramatic difference in handling. I would talk about tires and handling but, I'd probably have to start another thread for that topic lol.
anthonymcgrath likes this.
Old 24-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Seasoned Member

Drives: erm nowt right now :/
Club ID#: 8089

Trade Feedback: (31)

View My Pictures
Haha start that thread. I wanna hear more?

Lol.. check out my skills I thought the sway bar was the roll bar ha! Didn't know you could uprate those too.
Yeah have a look at the meister R I think they chatted about on driftwrks (i just Google search heh) and see what ppls thoughts are.
Personally I'm really enjoying these ohlins but they were on car when I got it already so it didn't exactly cost me a bunch. Have you compared the prices against the bc and k sport? I don't know what the latter's cost really and in guessing that's a factor too

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=204573
anthonymcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote