Perfect car? Sketchy purchase? (Parts car) - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strutton17

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #1

Club ID#: 72665

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Perfect car? Sketchy purchase? (Parts car)

Hey guys, my dream is to own a skyline GTR. I'm familiar with 25 year rule and I'm in the market for a 90's GTR. FINALLY, I found one locally to buy. However, the car was imported as a "parts car" but meets the 25 year rule. He does not have a title. Is there anyway around this? Can I get a title? Can it be registered? All help will be appreciated. You can check out the post below.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5516406311.html
Camshaftdunco is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Drives: 1990 R32 GTR
Club ID#: 62697

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Nope, from my understanding of the law any vehicle imported before 25 years (unless parts car, track etc) is not eligible to be registered due to the fact that it was imported before 25 years. Only way around this would be to export the car and re enter it through a port with the proper documentation as when it was imported as a parts car the documentation was different because after 25 years there is a different box to check on the import documents stating that it is 25 years old and exempt from the FMVSS that stopped it from being imported prior to 25 years.
Strutton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

View My Pictures
You're really asking for trouble with a Skyline that has no title in the US. Although, I am not entirely certain. I doubt you'll be able to get it registered, and if you do end up trying you could end up getting it impounded, and losing all your investment.

However, if you want a car to go on the track, show, drift (pretty much anything but the street) then it might be a good choice. But, if you're planning on daily driving, or even adding it to a collectors car insurance, it probably won't work out and this car will be the next story of an R32 that got impounded. Also, why is it a parts car? Is there a abundant amount of rust underneath, rendering the car inusable? Was it in a serious accident?

In my opinion, and you don't have to listen to me as you might be able to get away with it, is to save up for a R32 GTR from a importer (Montu Motors, Nostagia Imports, etc.), get a R32 GTS-t (They're right around that price), or take your chances with this one.

Again, in my opinion, I would just get a R32 GTS-t and enjoy it for a long while (as they usually have less than 100k US miles on them), and build it up faster than a GTR. Which is totally doable, given that the comparison is roughly 12k (GTST) to 23k (GTR).

I would really consider the factors, and really sleep on the decision. The last thing anyone wants to see their hard earned cash locked up in an impound lot, with the possibility of other demeanor's.

Last edited by Skyrine; 04-04-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
reading more of that post pains me, he said it was imported under the 25 year law but as a parts car not a vehicle, so he is misleading people and gonna sucker someone in and they are gonna be stuck with a useless car.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrine View Post
You're really asking for trouble with a Skyline that has no title in the US. Although, I am not entirely certain. I doubt you'll be able to get it registered, and if you do end up trying you could end getting it impounded, and losing all your investment.

However, if you want a car to go on the track, show, drift (pretty much anything but the street) then it might be a good choice. But, if you're planning on daily driving, or even adding it to a collectors car insurance, it probably won't work out and this car will be the next story of an R32 that got impounded. Also, why is it a parts car? Is there a abundant amount of rust underneath, rendering the car inusable? Was it in a serious accident?

In my opinion, and you don't have to listen to me as you might be able to get away with it, is to save up for a R32 GTR from a importer (Montu Motors, Nostagia Imports, etc.), get a R32 GTS-t (They're right around that price), or take your chances with this one.

Again, in my opinion, I would just get a R32 GTS-t and enjoy it for a long while (as they usually have less than 100k US miles on them), and build it up faster than a GTR. Which is totally doable, given that the comparison is roughly 12k (GTST) to 23k (GTR).

I would really consider the factors, and really sleep on the decision. The last thing anyone wants to see their hard earned cash locked up in an impound lot, with the possibility of other demeanor's.
If it's in the states and has no title, 9/10 times it means it was not imported under the 25 year law and you will get screwed when trying to register it.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutton17 View Post
If it's in the states and has no title, 9/10 times it means it was not imported under the 25 year law and you will get screwed when trying to register it.
I figured as much. The op is much better off with either, saving up for a GTR or getting a GTS-t with a clean title (I'd say, preferably from an importer) . Or if he really wants to save some dough another idea is to get a Silvia S13. I've seen them go for 7-9k.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutton17 View Post
reading more of that post pains me, he said it was imported under the 25 year law but as a parts car not a vehicle, so he is misleading people and gonna sucker someone in and they are gonna be stuck with a useless car.
Perhaps we can report it to Craigslist? Idk how monitored those things are.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrine View Post
Perhaps we can report it to Craigslist? Idk how monitored those things are.
I have already flagged it, im debating emailing him and politely letting him know that the car cannot be registered and he should state that. Instead of giving some bullshit disclaimer that he is not responsible for any problems when trying to insure it after the sale.
anthonymcgrath likes this.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
Seasoned Member

Drives: erm nowt right now :/
Club ID#: 8089

Trade Feedback: (31)

View My Pictures
The very fact he says that means he knows. Definitely worth sharing on forums letting ppl know. I wouldn't go near that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=204573
anthonymcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #10

Club ID#: 48454

View My Pictures
all I have to say is lol
zvasey is offline   Reply With Quote