should I invest in a R32? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Club ID#: 72721

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
should I invest in a R32?

Hey everyone new guy on here from Texas and while I personally do not own a skyline at the moment I do have some questions. So I just graduated and I'm starting to save up some money. Im a big car guy and although I partial to american ponies I do have a love for some imports nissan skyline mainly. I should probably to the point shouldn't I. Alright well recently I have been watching some old episodes of Top Gear UK where the presenters buy cheap cars and go on a few tracks days. That got me thinking.... I want to go from racing in a straight line to actually racing around a track. I have been looking at getting a E36 M3 as a second car to take on track days while cheaper than the R32 GTR and other skyline models I noticed that R32s aren't that cheap and with WAY fewer miles on them than an E36 and with the notorious Nissan reliability that the German cannot compete with.

Has anyone dealt with japaneseclassics.com? I noticed that they bring in a lot of R32s and some R32 GTR around 8-20k or so range

Where did y'all get your R32's from?

How difficult is it to find parts? if something breaks

by the time I have enough money saved up the R33 will be available to import and depending on prices would it be better to get it over the R32?
I didn't really see any differences in performance between the two generations other than styling

What have been your R32 experiences?

looking forward to hearing from y'all
charlie789 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #2

Drives: 1990 R32 GTR
Club ID#: 62697

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie789 View Post
Hey everyone new guy on here from Texas and while I personally do not own a skyline at the moment I do have some questions. So I just graduated and I'm starting to save up some money. Im a big car guy and although I partial to american ponies I do have a love for some imports nissan skyline mainly. I should probably to the point shouldn't I. Alright well recently I have been watching some old episodes of Top Gear UK where the presenters buy cheap cars and go on a few tracks days. That got me thinking.... I want to go from racing in a straight line to actually racing around a track. I have been looking at getting a E36 M3 as a second car to take on track days while cheaper than the R32 GTR and other skyline models I noticed that R32s aren't that cheap and with WAY fewer miles on them than an E36 and with the notorious Nissan reliability that the German cannot compete with.

Has anyone dealt with japaneseclassics.com? I noticed that they bring in a lot of R32s and some R32 GTR around 8-20k or so range

by the time I have enough money saved up the R33 will be available to import and depending on prices would it be better to get it over the R32?
I didn't really see any differences in performance between the two generations other than styling

I got my GTR from a local company up here in WA, if it is going to be used as a track car ONLY you could import even a r34. If you are looking for biggest bang for your buck you may be better off looking for a low mile GTS-T or even GTS-4 if you want. Parts arent always hard to find but they almost always run quite expensive, such as a company trying to charge $1100 for a new axle. Depends how much you can save and how quickly you can save it, R33's are awesome and if you got a GTR I believe the oiling issues are taken care of as far as the crank collar and pump so that may be a better route for tracking but you could always build a GTS-T for around the same and make just as much power.
Strutton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #3

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutton17 View Post
I got my GTR from a local company up here in WA, if it is going to be used as a track car ONLY you could import even a r34. If you are looking for biggest bang for your buck you may be better off looking for a low mile GTS-T or even GTS-4 if you want. Parts arent always hard to find but they almost always run quite expensive, such as a company trying to charge $1100 for a new axle. Depends how much you can save and how quickly you can save it, R33's are awesome and if you got a GTR I believe the oiling issues are taken care of as far as the crank collar and pump so that may be a better route for tracking but you could always build a GTS-T for around the same and make just as much power.
I looked it up and under NHTSA website if I were to import a vehicle for racing purposes it either has to be originally designed for racing purposes OR be in full race mode by the time of importation

I noticed that R32 GTS-T are under 10k for good conditions ones and they're down what 50hp/60hp from the GTR thats 20k easy

I think after 1991 the oil issues were fixed don't quote but thats what I found so far. Im guessing the R33 doesn't suffer from that issue

Thanks for the help!
charlie789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: erm nowt right now :/
Club ID#: 8089

Trade Feedback: (31)

View My Pictures
Your best getting a 32gtr now as prices keep climbing esp with you yanks grabbing em up ;)

Have a chat with GoodeZilla he's in usa and has a 32gtr. His youtube page is same name too and he's lots of videos and prob contacts now for parts etc

Regarding track days you'll go thru tires pads and discs as you know plus fuel lol.. so make sure the engine is solid. I know that doesn't help directly as such but ppl buy cheaper ones then they're rebuilding 4 months later! You might find stock power a bit meh on track after a short while so maybe something pushing a solid 400-450 bhp might be plenty esp with a set of 8 pots on and good tires ..best way to go fast is stop fast

Original question.. should I invest in a gtr.. yes every time you fire one up its an event.. don't get that turning the key of most BMW sorry :/

The other thing to consider is can you get a Nissan gtr out there for a bit more and have equal fun on track and day to day?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=204573
anthonymcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

Drives: R32 GTS-T Sedan
Club ID#: 70466

View My Pictures
I got my r32 gts-t sedan bone stock with 64k miles from Frank at HiRev motors in florida, didnt have the funds to drop 20+ for a gtr. The whole transaction process was top notch, although i bought my car while it was still over seas the wait was gnarly cause im very impatient. But its cool because nobody in the states ever saw my car advertised anywhere which is what i wanted. the car got a little damaged on the RORO ship, but frank got it fixed and actually painted the whole car for me free of charge, the original seats in the car were actually very worn so he also modded and put in r34 gtt seats in free of charge a well, and also a full tune up and blah blah. As far as getting parts goes, its definitely getting a lot easier these days, also look at the compatibility list on here. since i got the car, it has a brand new full turbo back, intake, blow off valve, and coil-overs and wheels. And as far as my experiences with it, theres not one time i drive it without beating the living hell out of it and doing at least 3 burnouts realistically and i only drive it on the weekends, it even kept steady with a v8 m3 with intake and exhaust, just a super solid car...best car ive ever had actually. i say any r32 turbo skyline is definitely worth it. plus its fcuking right hand drive bro! hahaha!!!
ClydeSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I got my R32 GTS-t Type M from Montu Motors with 67k US miles. So far I replaced, the fuel filter (J30), Oil filter (240sx), spark plugs (BCPR6EIX-11), air filter, fuel lines, fuel pump (Walbro 255 w/s13 kit), and the coil pack harness (from Raw Brokerage). Almost all the parts are interchangable with other Nissans (300zx, 240sx, J30). And there are also plenty of aftermarket sites that you can get parts from in the US such as Enjuku, frsport, Raw Brokerage (I can't think of anymore at the moment).

I'm gonna use my sky for road racing/autocross, so we're in the same boat (kinda). I just ordered a set of ISC Coilovers 12k/8k from Enjuku. Which, ISC is based in Ohio and are fully rebuild with the a 5 year warranty.

As for pricing, some things aren't too bad and some things are. Just look up prices of the parts I listed. Some are hard to find, or hard to find info for. Such as, an AC Compressor. Buy a new one would cost around 1250$ shipped from Japan. Which is insane, but that is the only thing I know that is really crazy.
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #7

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath View Post
Your best getting a 32gtr now as prices keep climbing esp with you yanks grabbing em up ;)
Can you blame us for wanting them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeSeminole View Post
I got my r32 gts-t sedan bone stock with 64k miles from Frank at HiRev motors in florida, didnt have the funds to drop 20+ for a gtr. The whole transaction process was top notch, although i bought my car while it was still over seas the wait was gnarly cause im very impatient. the car got a little damaged on the RORO ship, but frank got it fixed and actually painted the whole car for me free of charge, the original seats in the car were actually very worn so he also modded and put in r34 gtt seats in free of charge a well, and also a full tune up and blah blah.
I am VERY impatient as well so I know how tortuous is waiting on car. I had to wait for my Mustang for what felt like a eternity!
I haven't found HiRev motors in FL I'll have to look them up, but is amazing that they did all that work on the car for free!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrine View Post
I got my R32 GTS-t Type M from Montu Motors with 67k US miles. So far I replaced, the fuel filter (J30), Oil filter (240sx), spark plugs (BCPR6EIX-11), air filter, fuel lines, fuel pump (Walbro 255 w/s13 kit), and the coil pack harness (from Raw Brokerage). Almost all the parts are interchangable with other Nissans (300zx, 240sx, J30). And there are also plenty of aftermarket sites that you can get parts from in the US such as Enjuku, frsport, Raw Brokerage (I can't think of anymore at the moment). I'm gonna use my sky for road racing/autocross, so we're in the same boat (kinda). I just ordered a set of ISC Coilovers 12k/8k from Enjuku. Which, ISC is based in Ohio and are fully rebuild with the a 5 year warranty.
I found Montu Motors when I was searching the web along with JapaneseClassics.com
Thats good to know about interchangeable parts. I can't imagine spending $1250 for a AC compressor and having it shipped over from Japan
charlie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 14716

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Oiling issues on the RB aren't isolated to just the crank nose length

Although, there are plenty of people who take stock Skylines on track and don't have too many issues
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Can you blame us for wanting them?

I am VERY impatient as well so I know how tortuous is waiting on car. I had to wait for my Mustang for what felt like a eternity!
I haven't found HiRev motors in FL I'll have to look them up, but is amazing that they did all that work on the car for free!!!

I found Montu Motors when I was searching the web along with JapaneseClassics.com
Thats good to know about interchangeable parts. I can't imagine spending $1250 for a AC compressor and having it shipped over from Japan
Montu has a bunch of good cars and a lot of cool guys. I have a couple videos of their shop on my facebook group page (RHD Owners USA) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1762951907260978/
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #10

Drives: 1990 R32 GTR
Club ID#: 62697

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
I looked it up and under NHTSA website if I were to import a vehicle for racing purposes it either has to be originally designed for racing purposes OR be in full race mode by the time of importation

I noticed that R32 GTS-T are under 10k for good conditions ones and they're down what 50hp/60hp from the GTR thats 20k easy

I think after 1991 the oil issues were fixed don't quote but thats what I found so far. Im guessing the R33 doesn't suffer from that issue

Thanks for the help!
If my memory serves me right, the issues were not fixed in the R32 until 94 or 93, but I think even then the RB has issues with starvation and what not, 50-60HP however should not cost 10k to get, I made 332RWHP on stock boost with HKS induction kit on my GTR. So new turbo and injectors on a rb20 or 25 should easily push you past 332.
Strutton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:

I got my Nismo R32 from International Vehicle Importers and you can read all about my experiences with it as well as a lot of information geared towards prospective US owners about how to buy, where to get parts, maintenance, etc. on my blog:

23GT

Having said that I can't really recommend the R32 or any other JDM Skyline as a track car unless you're a real enthusiast for the marque. Why? Several reasons but the biggest one is parts availability. A lot of parts can take weeks to get because they're either backordered or only available in Japan. Engine parts are easier to get because the RB26 has been popular for swaps but other stuff like wheel bearings, clutch parts, etc can take a lot longer. We're doing a full restoration on my Nismo so I've had plenty of experience with ordering parts for it by now.

Another reason to think twice depends on your goals with track driving. If you're eventually planning to go into competition the Skylines won't be the easiest to get into a proper category of racing. I run with NASA and have done dozens of trackdays over the years and with an E36 M3 you'll almost certainly find some fellow racers anywhere in the country. Not so with a Skyline. Our group in Arizona is unusual in having one guy who runs an R32 in time trial but I've never seen another even at away events in Cali. Lots of Beemers though.

Oh, and since someone mentioned it - you can only bring a Skyline that's less than 25-years old for race-only use if it was a purpose-built race car AND you can provide detailed info to the DOT documenting that it will be used in a particular race series. Just telling them it'll be for trackday use won't cut it.

That being said, if you're a real Skyline fan the issues with making one a track car aren't insurmountable - it just won't be as easy as simply getting a Beemer, Miata, or Z.