looking for opinions - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Drives: 90 Gtst(SOLD), 91 GTR
Club ID#: 69930

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
looking for opinions

I understand this topic may have been beaten to death. But, I am looking to toss an new motor in my 90 gtst. I have friends telling me to get the cheaper rb25, but I have others telling me to go rb26. I'm currently deployed so this isn't something that's going to happen next week. I love the appeal of the rb25 being cheaper, but feel like I'll regret not paying the extra few bucks and just getting a rb26. What's the general opinion, go big or settle with a few extra saved bucks?
Boss_gtst is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M Sedan
Club ID#: 71209

Country Flag

View My Pictures
From what I know, you'd have to modify the rb26 a little bit more. I.e you'd have to convert the awd oil pump to a rwd one (I think), I recommend a rb25 trans because the rb20 one is a lot weaker, and you would need a higher rated fuel pump (I'd just get a walbro 255 or something).

I also think that the wiring harness is different, but I believe it's the same for the RB25. Also, I am not sure, but the motor mounts should be the same. The way I see it is 350-400whp = RB25. 500+ = RB26.

I've seen a few RB25 swapped 240s and R32s. But, never a RB26. It was only talked about. Totally doable though.
Skyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #3

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I know the owner of a shop that has done rb26 swaps with the rb25 trans (which is what I planned to do). I've heard the 25 was good up till like 450-550 and the 26 was anything more. Honestly I'm just looking for 4-5 since the car is so light, I'm not to worried about the number. I just want it to be decently reliable at that power. Just trying to see what others would do.
Boss_gtst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Honestly, if that's your goal, then go for what you think is best. Obviously the RB26 is better (top feed fuel injectors, 8k redline, handles a lot of hp, GTR engine). But, on the flip side of the coin, the RB25 is really good. It's very common swap, and can make more than enough power for a street car. The only really big complaint that I have about it is the side feed injectors and the 7k (or so) redline. Which, those complaints aren't a big enough deal to say that RB25 isn't good enough. Which it most certainly is.

So basically, if you got the money, want all the potential of a GTR engine, twin turbo (maybe?), keep the 8k redline (assuming you're coming from an RB20), and have the sweet GTR valve covers. Then, I say go for the RB26.

But, if you want save a pretty penny, and want some pretty good power (comparing to an RB26). Then, go for the RB25.

In my opinion, you really can not go wrong with either choice for your power goals, or any kind of goals for that matter. I am actually surprised no one else has posted anything on this thread yet. I am sure that the RB25 will be more than enough for you if you want to save. Or, if you don't the RB26 does have more potential. Not to say that the RB25 doesn't.

As for reliability, I am not sure on either of the two. I could imagine that if either were taken good enough care of they'd be reliable and last a while. I mean, some of these engines are coming up on 27 years old and they're still running strong.

Last edited by Skyrine; 08-04-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 18-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Club ID#: 75778

View My Pictures
Hey man, i understand how tough of a decision that is and i very much second what Skyrine said. I was thinking the same for a while. If i were you, I would for sure go with the RB25. With the RB26, there will be bits that need to be messed with that you wouldnt have to do with the RB25. Performance wise, you wont be missing out really by going with the RB25. This is just my two cents and I am not a skyline professional. I personally never did the swap because my RB20 already had a machined block, port and polish, forged pistons, cams, etc. and figured I would be fine with it since im not trying to go above 550-600 HP (we will see soon if i even get that). Now if you really wanted just straight power and didnt care about having a skyline engine... a built 2JZ is a monster.
PunkMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I have planned to just toss an RB25 in it and keep my 20 trans for while. That way I can get all the components to put in the 25 trans down the road. Save me a few bucks. I wouldn't go to a JZ motor for the fact that intake/exhaust is swapped compared to an RB and I wouldn't want my steering stuff on the exhaust side. That heat could mess some stuff up.
Boss_gtst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_gtst View Post
I have planned to just toss an RB25 in it and keep my 20 trans for while. That way I can get all the components to put in the 25 trans down the road. Save me a few bucks. I wouldn't go to a JZ motor for the fact that intake/exhaust is swapped compared to an RB and I wouldn't want my steering stuff on the exhaust side. That heat could mess some stuff up.
Good choice. I was actually thinking about doing the same swap. The RB20 trans has been said to be able to hold the RB25 powwaaaa, if you don't beat on it too much. Honestly, I believe the RB20 trans should be good until 350whp before it really starts to give up. That's just my speculation.