A/C compressor removal - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 56393

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
A/C compressor removal

So my AC compressors clutch magnet coil took a shit and needed to be replaced. BTW th symptom of this problem is the 10 AMP fuse under the dash blows when the AC is turned on.
These engines were not designed to be worked on by American hands.
The AC compressor is th biggest PITA to get out, but it is possible with patience and persistence.
It must be removed from the bracket holding it to the engine (the one with the tension pulley on it) then moved out of the way so the bracket can be removed. Once this is done the compressor can be dropped out of the bottom. Once it was out, it took less than a minute to replace the magnet under the clutch.
I'm converting it to R134A and charging it today.
Texas heat is just too damn hot to roll without AC
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thanks for the info. Is the clutch magnet an R32 specific part or is it something generic? I'd like to know in case I ever run into this problem myself especially since I live on the eighth circle of hell known as southwest Arizona lol.
Old 23-08-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R35 View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the clutch magnet an R32 specific part or is it something generic? I'd like to know in case I ever run into this problem myself especially since I live on the eighth circle of hell known as southwest Arizona lol.
I'm not really sure if the clutch magnet is shared with any other AC compressor. I have a feeling it specific to the R32 GTR just like the compressor is.
I found the clutch magnet on the From Japan auction/website. It wasn't that much for the magnet or shipping.
Entire AC compressors were found online also. Aliexpress has them for about $175, but shipping is high as they are coming from china.

Old 25-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 2010 R35, 1990 Nismo R32
Club ID#: 60170

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraFirma View Post
I'm not really sure if the clutch magnet is shared with any other AC compressor. I have a feeling it specific to the R32 GTR just like the compressor is.
I found the clutch magnet on the From Japan auction/website. It wasn't that much for the magnet or shipping.
Entire AC compressors were found online also. Aliexpress has them for about $175, but shipping is high as they are coming from china.
Thanks for the reply. How'd you manage to find the right clutch magnet? I tried looking it up online but Nissan just lists the compressor by itself with no separate part number for components.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R35 View Post
Thanks for the reply. How'd you manage to find the right clutch magnet? I tried looking it up online but Nissan just lists the compressor by itself with no separate part number for components.
Found it on auctions.yahoo.co.jp
It's like eBay in Japan. They have a bunch of stuff.