25 Year Old R33 Approaching, Car in States, Making fully legal? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > USA MEMBERS FORUM

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gtr_done

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1993 R33 Nissan Skyline Gts-t, 1995 Nissan 240sx
Club ID#: 11568

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
25 Year Old R33 Approaching, Car in States, Making fully legal?

Ok, So back in 2007 I bought a 1993 R33 Nissan Skyline Gts-t. The car has been off the road since 2011 as I blew my motor and Im slowly getting it back together (Being Lazy, bought 2 cars for daily a 2005 Lexus LS430, and a 2009 Honda Fit). My question is my car will hit the 25 year old rule in 2018 and the car is titled in Delaware. When I bought the car all I got was the title from the original owner who brought the car over. Does anyone know what would have to happen to get my car fully registered and legal? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
slowmofo357 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Anyone have any ideas?
slowmofo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #3

Club ID#: 60465

View My Pictures
From my understanding and research, the car has to be brought in after the 25 year mark. So all import paperwork should say date of entry to the US after 25 years of age. Your car was never imported during the legal time frame. Suck to say but your car was never legally imported so you won't be able to legally have proper paperwork for it. I'm pretty sure after the 25 year make, you will be able to register it but not the legal way if you know what i mean. Good luck. Only other way is to export to another country to have to enter the county with proper import paperwork.
MacTanTRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

View My Pictures
Trust me, I imported my own GTR from Japan by the military and they made sure it was over 25 years down to the month of manufacturing of the car. They explained all the repercussions about being road legal.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

Club ID#: 84137

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTanTRD View Post
Trust me, I imported my own GTR from Japan by the military and they made sure it was over 25 years down to the month of manufacturing of the car. They explained all the repercussions about being road legal.

What was your process for bringing the car back through the military? Im looking to do the same thing in 2020 with my 95 GTR.
Gtr_done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #6

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr_done View Post
What was your process for bringing the car back through the military? Im looking to do the same thing in 2020 with my 95 GTR.

I made this video right before I PCS to Pendleton. I'm still waiting on my car to get here. It's still in the ocean on its way here.
https://youtu.be/TXLL4IOlrqY
Old 08-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #7

Club ID#: 84137

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTanTRD View Post
I made this video right before I PCS to Pendleton. I'm still waiting on my car to get here. It's still in the ocean on its way here.
https://youtu.be/TXLL4IOlrqY
Awesome Vid, thanks for the link. I think I might have seen you cruising around here before you took off.
MacTanTRD likes this.
Gtr_done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Yeah my car is state legal now, I have the title but when I bought the car back in the 2007 the guy never gave me any paperwork but a title saying thats all I needed. I contacted the local DMV who I thought I could trust and all they said was yeah its legal if the mail trucks can be legal RHD your car would be. So I purchased the car and have had it ever since. I guess worst case scenario I just drive it until they catch me and keep it at a different location lol.
slowmofo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Club ID#: 84266

View My Pictures
My friend brought a r32 eight years ago to America over the border with a simple car dolly. He sold it to me about a year or so ago. I took it to the DMV with no papers saying I acquired it from him with no papers. He wrote a bill of sale notarized it and handle it to me. They did reseaech on it to make sure it was never reported stolen here or Canada. They assigned me a vin. I paid the taxes. Got a title. Boom now it's at the shop getting the motor running. It was running around from DMV to DMV because no one knew how to deal with it. But basically filed bonded title process and they assigned a new vin. That's prettt much it. Hope it helps. I will be grabbing a couple r33 maybe a r34 from Canada and storing them and trying to register them with no papers and see where it takes me....
SamDili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 56393

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmofo357 View Post
Yeah my car is state legal now, I have the title but when I bought the car back in the 2007 the guy never gave me any paperwork but a title saying thats all I needed. I contacted the local DMV who I thought I could trust and all they said was yeah its legal if the mail trucks can be legal RHD your car would be. So I purchased the car and have had it ever since. I guess worst case scenario I just drive it until they catch me and keep it at a different location lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDili View Post
My friend brought a r32 eight years ago to America over the border with a simple car dolly. He sold it to me about a year or so ago. I took it to the DMV with no papers saying I acquired it from him with no papers. He wrote a bill of sale notarized it and handle it to me. They did reseaech on it to make sure it was never reported stolen here or Canada. They assigned me a vin. I paid the taxes. Got a title. Boom now it's at the shop getting the motor running. It was running around from DMV to DMV because no one knew how to deal with it. But basically filed bonded title process and they assigned a new vin. That's prettt much it. Hope it helps. I will be grabbing a couple r33 maybe a r34 from Canada and storing them and trying to register them with no papers and see where it takes me....
Sorry to break this to y'all, but your cars can never be properly, and legally imported cars without the proper customs forms. They would need to leave the US and re-enter to go through customs leagally. Despite what "people" may have told you, and you having a title and all that, the fact still remains that these cars were not imported in accordance with US customs laws and therefore are essentialy smuggled goods. If US customs was inclined to, and they have in the past, your cars could be seized and destroyed and you could do nothing about it.
I imported my GT-R myself and insured I was completely legal and 25 years old to the month.
EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7 were completed and were required when registering. I also kept copies of the forms with the car and when I sold it, the new owner got all original paperwork.

Last edited by TaraFirma; 30-12-2017 at 02:37 AM.
TaraFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #11

Club ID#: 84266

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraFirma View Post
Sorry to break this to y'all, but your cars can never be properly, and legally imported cars without the proper customs forms. They would need to leave the US and re-enter to go through customs leagally. Despite what "people" may have told you, and you having a title and all that, the fact still remains that these cars were not imported in accordance with US customs laws and therefore are essentialy smuggled goods. If US customs was included to, and they have in the past, your cars could be seized and destroyed and you could do nothing about it.
I imported my GT-R myself and insured I was completely legal and 25 years old to the month.
EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7 were completed and were required when registering. I also kept copies of the forms with the car and when I sold it, the new owner got all original paperwork.

Sorry to break it you but I acquired my r32 1991 with no papers and with few inspections and adot paperwork. My car is Az titled and legal boo yea
SamDili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #12
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 56393

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDili View Post
Sorry to break it you but I acquired my r32 1991 with no papers and with few inspections and adot paperwork. My car is Az titled and legal boo yea
If you bought your car from your friend who smuggled it here to the US it is not legal. Even if you have a title for it and it is licensed and insured and everything else, it is not leagally imported into the US therefore it is an illegal important. Since it is a 91 and legal for import now, you could get it out of the US and then bring it back in with the proper paperwork so the car could be legal, or you could just go on thinking that you have a legal car and do nothing.
Old 30-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
Seasoned Member

Drives:
Club ID#: 16493

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (23)

View My Pictures
Does the 25 year rule apply over there. Soon as they hit the age, job done ?

Tim 'Moff' Nicholas @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]
TMS Motorsport - Parts for Motorsport and Tuning - Online Shop

- We ship worldwide to your door, famous Brands such as -
- AP Racing - ASNU Injectors - HKS - Nitron - Mintex Pads -
- Turbosmart - Exedy Clutches - Deatschwerks - Cosworth -
- Pagid Pads - Japspeed - Direnza - and many more...
Moff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #14

Club ID#: 74681

View My Pictures
I think some of you are missing a pretty big point here. Some states in the US are VERY lenient on how they acquire titles or vins. While in other states, its near impossible. We all know that skylines are brought into the US through florida and titled there and sold as "legally imported" cars. But that doesnt change the fact that customs would shit a brick if they got their hands on it.

I've heard of a couple states that certain importers specifically use to get the primary title in the US, and then once that's done you can swap the title to any other state. But that just means you're using a loophole in the system to acquire registration and insurance access. Doesn't mean that it's fed legal.

MOST DMV will demand that you have export AND import paperwork before they issue a stateside title. So just because it hits 25 years doesn't mean you'll be able to get a new vin or legal title work. Trust me, I feel your pain because I have an r33 that will never be state legal because of that.

You want my opinion? Wait to find a wrecked one in a year or two or three, grab the vins and title and swap it all over to yours and just use a rebuilt title. But the car you grab that all from will HAVE to be a 25 year old car that was 100% legally imported.
Fabination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #15

Drives: 90 Gtst(SOLD), 91 GTR
Club ID#: 69930

Country Flag

View My Pictures
As stated above, its an illegal car and needs to leave the country and be brought back in or risk it being seized.
Boss_gtst is offline   Reply With Quote