converting rb20e to manual - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > N/A Forum

N/A Forum Naturally aspirated technical forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Drives: r33 gtst, rx7fc3s, A31 cefiro
Club ID#: 22133

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
converting rb20e to manual

which flywheel and clutch / gearbox do i need the parts will be going onto a a31 cef incase that makes any difference i already have the clutch pedal etc sorted out its just the above bits im unsure about

thanks again folks
the hat is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Everybody knows that the bird is the word

Drives: R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 23737

Country Flag

View My Pictures
As for the manual, you can use any 2wd RB gearbox I believe. Not 100% about the RD28 box though....
You can use either a non turbo or turbo flywheel/clutch but you cant mix and match turbo/non turbo flywheels/clutches.
The turbo flywheel is slightly larger (so obviously you need the turbo clutch plate too) with a different bolt pattern holding the pressure plate on . Turbo has 9 outer bolts, n/a has 6 outer bolts. Both have the same inside bolt pattern.
I am unsure about the R34, but the R33 and R32 clutches and flywheels are the interchangable (that may help your search)
I havent done a manual conversion on a Cef so I cant tell you what gearbox crossmember will work.
Oh, good luck finding a manual shifter surround, they made very very few manual A31's, if ya see one for sale jump on it!
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
The Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #3

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Oh its probably good to point out too it will save you a lot of hassles if you find a box that uses a speedo cable. (A31, R32, R31 etc). The R33 (so possibly C34 Laurel, Stagea etc too) I know does not use a speedo cable. You can make one fit but its just more parts you have to find!
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by The Great White; 05-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #4

View My Pictures
yeah the shifter surround will be a nightmare i hink im gonna modify an s13 centre console as it quite similar and i need the handbrake mechanism also bu i already have that including cables as the cef has a foot operated handbrake

as for gearbox xmember i can easily make my own so thats no problem

so i guss im on the look out for an rb20 manual box and clutch and flywheel so if anyone has one give me a shout

and cheers for the info buddy once this part is done i will be swapping engines over winter to eiher an rb20det or rb25det bu there is alot of rotten s14s so may even go down he sr20 route
the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Ahh yes the foot brake, they are indeed a pain in the arse!
If you doing an engine transplant you would probably want to look at an RB20DET box at least, if not a 25DET box and making the speedo work. Don't underestimate the gearbox killing torque the 25DET engine puts out! From what I have heard its a Terrano gearbox part. (not sure if you have the Terrano over there, looks like this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...no_D21_001.JPG )
The Navara (ute equivalent) would probably have the same part.
Or I have heard the RB30DE box is very strong too (from a VL Holden or R31 Skyline).
The R33 GTS25 (RB25DE) uses the same box as the R32 GTS-t (RB20DET) so you may be able to pick one up cheaper as people think they are 'weaker' (therefore cheaper) due to being non turbo!

The SR20 will definitely make it lighter being 2 less cylinders and the block being made of alloy and it gets mounted further back which should improve the handling! And just like the RB they are bullet proof..... either one is a good choice

Last edited by The Great White; 05-04-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #6

View My Pictures
yeah will see what engine ill use when the time comes for now its getting made manual

and some of the parts i have lying around are getting fitted including the bee r limiter but wiring it in will be hard as i have no idea which wires on the ecu to connect to on this engine ill do a bi of searching and hopefully it will come up with the answers i need

also have some other funky bits to fit and ill sell the 17s that are on it so i can get some nice 18s as the 17s look to small as i cant go any lower due to speed bumps
the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #7

Club ID#: 28166

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter's Minion View Post
Ahh yes the foot brake, they are indeed a pain in the arse!
If you doing an engine transplant you would probably want to look at an RB20DET box at least, if not a 25DET box and making the speedo work. Don't underestimate the gearbox killing torque the 25DET engine puts out! From what I have heard its a Terrano gearbox part. (not sure if you have the Terrano over there, looks like this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...no_D21_001.JPG )
The Navara (ute equivalent) would probably have the same part.
Or I have heard the RB30DE box is very strong too (from a VL Holden or R31 Skyline).
The R33 GTS25 (RB25DE) uses the same box as the R32 GTS-t (RB20DET) so you may be able to pick one up cheaper as people think they are 'weaker' (therefore cheaper) due to being non turbo!

The SR20 will definitely make it lighter being 2 less cylinders and the block being made of alloy and it gets mounted further back which should improve the handling! And just like the RB they are bullet proof..... either one is a good choice
hey bro no such thing as a rb30de its a rb30e only a de if you put a 25de head on it and the terrano box wont fit as its a 4wd box but a navara z24 box (petrol) not diesel will fit
boosta92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosta92 View Post
hey bro no such thing as a rb30de its a rb30e only a de if you put a 25de head on it and the terrano box wont fit as its a 4wd box but a navara z24 box (petrol) not diesel will fit
Thanks Mr 'I join a forum and needlessly dig up a really old thread JUST to correct someone'

I never said 'fit a Terrano box', I said there is a part required FROM a Terrano box. I doubt the bellhousing on the Navara is the same as an RB so it won't be a straight swap.
Yes you're correct about the RB30 to a point..... We have more than enough RB30Es roaming our streets so I'm fully aware of what they are and what they came in (I made a simple typo)

However, I said 'to a point' for a reason.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
RB30DE

These rare engines were used in the Tommy Kaira M30 based on the R31 Skyline GTS-R. A modified RB20DE head was bolted on to the RB30E block. It delivered 177 kW (240 PS) @ 7000 rpm and 294 Nm (30.0 kgfm) @ 4800 rpm.]
They do exist ;) Maybe you need to check your facts a bit better!

Last edited by The Great White; 18-02-2011 at 10:35 AM.