Right not going to be a huge post but i thought this may be handy to help others thinking of slapping a tubby on their 25de.
Earlier this year i was offered a chance to pick up a very cheap, very clean 33 25de. I grabbed it thinking this would be a great project. After a short period i decided it needed more umph so it was either NOS or forced induction, loving my whistle i decided to add forced induction. I picked up a cheap eton 45 charger and started work, after a bit of thought i decided to switch to a tubby. I started shopping and got the following parts together
series 2 turbo
lots of silicone hoses
various hose tails & t-pieces
ssqv and flange
turbo oil return
various pipe clips and usual pointless bits
12 inch of my garden hose, yes thats right makes great oil return pipe
What i did.......
The head oil return i placed a t-piece and ran the oil return from the tubby to that, the block had the oil feed so that fed the tubby fine, Water... i removed the piece between the bleeder and the throttle body. 2 pipes ran from each end via the tubby. The actuator pipe i have run to a hosetail tapped into the crossover pipe. Waiting on a front mount i have run a 180 deg silicone bend from the tubby to the charge pipe, ECU i have swapped for a DET ecu, plugs look fine and i've regapped,
With the above on the DET ecu, on cold is a little rough but once warm runs good although can be a little aractic however once i get my boost set etc im sure will be great. At about 2-3k pulls well, very well infact compared to my last DET id say torque wise im very impressed, of course this is just butt dyno testing at the moment.
All the above on the DE ecu runs great cold and hot, however im sure the map will cause it to be very lean on boost and the last thing i want to do i melt anything etc, thus why i am running standard actuator opening pressure to be safe.
My next stages are to fit a fuel reg to bring my pressure up a tad and get the DET ecu back in and running right, i need to fit my boost controller to stablise the boost and get my FMIC on and all piped up. Probs a set of plugs is a must too before i kill these ones
heres how it looks for now, and bear in mind its testing until the rest goes in.... This is a work in progress and im posting this to inspire anyone wanting to do this to their rb25de. All in all even at this stage i am very happy with the results, im getting alot more power and its giving me a bigger smile. Once i get my FMIC in and get my charge temps down a bit it will be abit safer.
Parts left to get...
MBC Valve or a controller
various FMIC pipework
consult adapter so i can see whats going on