R33 GTS25, fuel and other questions - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > N/A Forum

N/A Forum Naturally aspirated technical forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Club ID#: 46126

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
R33 GTS25, fuel and other questions

Hi guys I just bought a 1996 GTS25 and there are a few small issues I want to get sorted.

First of all it uses a lot of fuel I filled the tank and when it was half empty I had only traveled 140kms and that is not thrashing it just normal daily driving.

It is hard to start when warm (It takes a few more turns to start) so I think it might be suffering from vapor lock so I need to get the FPR and injectors tested.

Other then that I think it just needs a good service the engine sounds nice no ticking or knocking apart from the slight tick from the injectors.

It has a auto box in it that holds gears for too long sometimes but im not worried as I hope to replace it with a manual box.

Also 1 other question is it normal for these cars to decelerate faster then other cars?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help given
mrmivec69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Everybody knows that the bird is the word

Drives: R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 23737

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Firstly, welcome aboard
Where abouts in the world are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmivec69 View Post
First of all it uses a lot of fuel I filled the tank and when it was half empty I had only traveled 140kms and that is not thrashing it just normal daily driving.

It is hard to start when warm (It takes a few more turns to start) so I think it might be suffering from vapor lock so I need to get the FPR and injectors tested.

Also 1 other question is it normal for these cars to decelerate faster then other cars?
Vapour lock isn't common and only happens under very certain circumstances... what makes you say it's that?
Your symptoms more point toward a faulty O2 sensor and/or faulty water temp sensor. I'm leaning toward the latter more based on the fact you've said it's hard to start when warm. If you're not sure where that sensor is, look where the top radiator hose joins the engine - around there you'll see 2 small sensors. One is a 1 pin sensor, the other is a 2 pin sensor. 1 pin = gauge. 2 pin = ECU. You'll need to replace the 2 pin sensor.

I honestly didn't know there was a "normal" deceleration rate... every car will be different based on compression ratios, aerodynamics etc etc
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
The Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #3

View My Pictures
Thanks mate im from New Zealand

I just assumed it was vaporlock and was going to start by testing for that but thanks for the advise I will test the sensor as soon as I can. Is there a certain resistance it should read if I use a multimeter to test it?
mrmivec69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Ah another Kiwi
Not too sure what the best testing method is... but it is a "wear n tear" type part so it's probably easier to just replace it. Won't cost much money either
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
Old 16-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Water temp sensor is resistance based so test for that, I.ll see if I can find the figures, if faulty it will keep the engine in cold start mode so use a lot more fuel,
I think its just as likely to be the O2 sensor, as this controls fueling full time as its N/A so stays in closed loop until full throttle.

PS Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #6

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White View Post
Ah another Kiwi
Not too sure what the best testing method is... but it is a "wear n tear" type part so it's probably easier to just replace it. Won't cost much money either
Cool I Will give that a go. Where abouts in NZ are you?
Old 16-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
Water temp sensor is resistance based so test for that, I.ll see if I can find the figures, if faulty it will keep the engine in cold start mode so use a lot more fuel,
I think its just as likely to be the O2 sensor, as this controls fueling full time as its N/A so stays in closed loop until full throttle.

PS Welcome to the forum.
That sounds about right I will see what I can test for with the multimeter. Can the o2 sensor just be disabled like you would if removing the cat?
Old 16-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Cool I Will give that a go. Where abouts in NZ are you?
I'm just another Aucklander lol.... on the sunny Hibiscus Coast though. Where abouts are you based?
Old 16-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Quote:
That sounds about right I will see what I can test for with the multimeter. Can the o2 sensor just be disabled like you would if removing the cat?
No, if faulty or removed the O2 sensor will cause the ECU will over fuel full time, on the N/A its the major component that controls fueling.

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

View My Pictures
Ok so I checked the ecu for faults got code 55, I reset the ecu took it for a drive and tested again still no errors. I am going to service it with new oil, oil filter, fuel filter and might as well replace the temp sensor just incase it is faulty.

Does $57 sound about right for the temp sensor?
Old 17-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:

Does $57 sound about right for the temp sensor?
I'd have thought they'd be cheaper but in saying that, I haven't needed to replace one yet lol so not a clue what they are actually worth. If that's a price from Repco, go elsewhere... their retail prices are a joke!