R34 GT backbox - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > N/A Forum

N/A Forum Naturally aspirated technical forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goldtooth

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 GT+t Auto
Club ID#: 23296

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
R34 GT backbox

Anyone know if the standard R34 GT exhaust backbox is the same as on the GTT? I need one for a 1998 RB25DE NEO (GT). I'll put up a wanted post but useful to know if they're the same as it might increase my chances of getting one. The one I want is the standard twin tail pipe one (I don't know if there were other variations).

Thanks.
goldtooth is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 GTV
Club ID#: 7919

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (37)

View My Pictures
I would like to know the answer to similar question .

I'm after some info as to whether a Gtt cat back exhaust will fit a Gt ?
d.o.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 GTV
Club ID#: 7919

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (37)

View My Pictures
I've had a go at getting a custom made Gtt exhaust to fit my non turbo and here are my findings

The exhaust itself has the same bends and hanger point but as its custom made all the section joints are in a slightly different place plus the have used three bolt flanged instead of the standard two .

It would probably be possible to fit an original Gtt cat back as long as the cat itself is in the same position but it won't fit when trying to use the front pipe as well ( although the down pipe is in the same position the down pipe on the gt uses a different bolt pattern ).

As it stands at the moment I've only fitted the rear box with the help of a reducer ( 6 inch tail with a 6 inch straight through box , down to 3 inch pipe with a reducer to the standard gt exhaust centre section .

The result is a very nice deep rumble at idle followed by an extremely loud rumbled under any sort of load to the point that as you pass parked cars it sets their alarms off .
d.o.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 GT+t Auto
Club ID#: 23296

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
So in case it helps someone else in future I can finally answer my own question ... in the end I got a standard GTT cat back and it fitted no problem. The cat diameter on the GT is big enough for the larger GTT 2.5 dia pipe (which protrudes slightly from the flange at the cat end) to slot in perfectly to the GT cat. The old GT pipe was a bit smaller (maybe 2 inch?) so in the standard GT system it just reduces abruptly from the cat flange to the pipe flange.

At the other end I'm not sure a GTT back box on it's own would have mated very well to the standard GT pipe flange - mine had been cut off and welded to a cheapo aftermarket back box so I can't be sure. But the different pipe diameters makes me think that the back box needs to match it's correct pipe - it seems to be designed for a snug fit with same pipe diameters. Saying that maybe if there was a gasket between the flanges it might work ok.

Anyway as far as a complete standard GTT cat back on to a GT goes, it goes on fine and I like the sound too - a nice rasp at higher revs.

Something else I discovered after buying new cat gaskets is that the ones on there were pretty solid so I reused them. I guess they're standard and are made up of a sandwich of thin metal sheets and looked pretty indestructible.
ben_harmer32 likes this.
goldtooth is offline   Reply With Quote