TCS OFF, SLIP and ENGINE icons light up sporadically? Help! - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > N/A Forum

N/A Forum Naturally aspirated technical forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

Drives: Skyline R34 GTT
Club ID#: 48821

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
TCS OFF, SLIP and ENGINE icons light up sporadically? Help!

Hello. First off this is my first post and visit to this forum, so please forgive me if ive posted this in the wrong section, but i couldnt really figure out where.. Now to my issue.

I am a new owner of a Skyline R34 GTT, which is in really good shape, mechanically and cosmetically, but it has recently developed an issue.

I was really tired after a day at work, and forgot to release the handbrake as i backed out of my parking slot, i noticed it once the car was backed out, and released it immediately, so i have not driven far or with much torque, just backing out of the slot. However, the TSC OFF, SLIP and ENGINE icon lit up on the dashboard.

I didnt feel the car acting any differently from before, and i drove it at normal speed towards a shop selling spare parts etc for the skyline range amongst others, since its on my way back home from work. I asked them if they had any idea if i had actually damaged something that would light these icons. That was highly unlikely they said. More likely something got messed up with signals, so they adviced me to just unplug the battery for a moment, and see if it went away. True enough, it went away, and stayed away for a few weeks, in which i didnt drive the Skyline that much.

Yesterday, a friend helped me replace the original exhaust system from a HKS one, amongst some other things, like mounting a net in the front bumper. I left the car at his place to let the bonding agent cure over night and went to pick it up today. Once i drove off, i noticed the three aforementioned icons were lit once more. So i stopped, unplugged the battery to shut off power once more. It took a short while, but they re-appeared after a short moment, so it didnt help this time. I proceeded to call my friend again, as he is well familiar with the R33 GTR, and asked him if he had any idea. He is not as familiar with the GTT unfortunately, but he suggested perhaps one or several sensors around the car might need cleaning, or aligning or something, as that may be the cause. He also did not think my reversing with the handbreak should damage anything.

I proceeded to drive the car for a while, to listen to the original exhaust. Once back home after maybe 20 minutes of driving, i washed my car and at the end, i once again unplugged the battery, and this time the icons stayed away long enough for me to get home. They did not lit up at all.

So im wondering if anyone on these forums may have any ideas on what to check first. Ive tried to be as elaborative as i can on how these symptoms have appeared, disapeared and re-appeared, but since i am very unknowledgable about cars in general, and electrics in particular, i need help trying to solve this. Since all these icons are pretty vital, i want them to light up when they actually should.

Any help, advice or information would be highly appreciative.

Best regards,
grimm
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 GTT
Club ID#: 19692

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (6)

View My Pictures
Only thing i could think of that could be related to this wis wheel sesnors/abs sensors? But im sure you would have an abs light on if 1 of these were down? :/
Old 12-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #3

Drives: Spec 1 GTS25t
Club ID#: 25144

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Sounds stupid, but I've heard of the coilpacks causing this.
StuartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
The ABS light has not come on in the 2-3 months ive owned it.

Still looking for help with this isssue please!
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 31616

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
When my coilpacks started to give up the same thing happened to me. But then again similar thing happened to a friends gtt and turned out to be the O2 sensor. Either way don't be alarmed if it is the coilpacks then one will break down eventually and you'll be running on 5 cylinders in which case you'll need a new set. Poirot on here or tfs Motorsport do them for a good price. If its O2 sensor then probably going to be the one on the turbo elbow.

What did you do with the lambda sensor when putting new exhaust system in? You need to just tuck it out the way don't plug it in

My project thread so far...
https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=196982
vangeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 Gtr mnp
Club ID#: 7065

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (9)

View My Pictures
Talking

Hi and welcome.

Ive owned 2 x r34 gtt's now so try this:

1. Re-set ecu by disconnecting negative on battery for a min.

That may fix or just for a short time. (my current r34 gtt does that).

2. Yes, could be coil packs (This was reason on my older r34 gtt).

3. cas may need adjusting.

4. possible Hicas issue (ecu re-set could fix,make sure steering is straight).

You could also try removing hicas fuse with steering straight. This locks hicas which I did on my r33 gts-t and ran for 1 year til used a lock out bar.
That fixed that issue

good luck

Owned: R33 gtst 4 door and Silver R34 gtt 1998, white R34 Gtt 2001. Now have a R33GTR

Last edited by Hugh Jass; 16-07-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 32390

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
The three lights on as you said are ignition and speed sensor. As above just reset your ecu by removing the battery for a few mins. You can force the lights back on by slipping the clutch on a hill at about 1.5k rpm.

The lights come on because it detected a fault and will reduces timing and remove the traction control throttle sensor.

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
eazigezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thanks for the help and responses so far. Like i tried to explain, i did disconnect the battery to reset, and the three lights lit up way after the ignition light up. They kept staying on when the others went off.

Ive been using the car again for a few days now, and so far the three lights have not stayed on, but have gone away with the others when the engine starts.

I will however show this thread to my friend and maybe he knows what to do.

As for Lambda and exhaust system, i have no idea about that, im still very much a newbie to car parts. But it was only the rear part that were replaced. I would imagine my friend knew what to do about the Lambda if that was involved in our switch.
Old 24-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #9

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hum, they havent lit up in quite a while now... This is strange...