Skyline shipping - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > GERMANY / AUSTRIA / SWITZERLAND

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTST Spec 2
Club ID#: 20235

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Skyline shipping

Hey guys , i am in germany now, i drive an 1996 Jspec R33 GTS4 (nonturbo) I heard tht i might be moving to Korea soon, anyway, Did some body know if I cant take the car with me is it legal in korea too, or , how can i find info on this. I also need names or websites for car conversions to U.S....

Thanks in advance........
God Bless You all.........
HELLCLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: Skyline R34 GT RB25DE TipTronic
Club ID#: 22614

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hi HELLCLOWN,

according to the --official-- German Departement of Foreign Affairs, it is not possible to import or drive foreign registered cars in KOREA.
Cars that are shipped to Korea will automatically pulled out by the Customs and are not allowed to leave the Harbour.

Please check with the Company/Military...I assume You´re US-Military ???.... You´re with, as normally they do have Assistance with RELOCATIONS.
As in many cases with military relocations to befriendet nations, You may be under special statuory rights allowing You to import Your car....but please check with Your Base!

If You intend to live in KOREA longer than one Year, You have to make the Korean driving lincense. An international driving licence is obligatory if You stay only within a year period.

Regards, blackjack64

Last edited by blackjack64; 06-02-2010 at 09:54 PM.
blackjack64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 9952

Trade Feedback: (33)

View My Pictures
If you are in the US army you will be allowed to take your car with you yes, even to Korea.

R34 GTR Vspec Nismo and Reinik Motorsports Japan equipped

Mapped by Richard Bell from Bellsautoservice UK
RXXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Curb-Smacker

Drives: R32
Club ID#: 17010

Country Flag

View My Pictures
now Karim theres a kicker to that. Yea the military will ship it but may not allow you to drive it, If they will not allow you through inspection (which goes hand in hand with the local laws) then they wont allow it to pass and not give you plates. Check with your veh reg office they have all the laws for every host nation that we have a base/post in
intfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 9952

Trade Feedback: (33)

View My Pictures
I stand corrected on this one Mikey!

Didn´t know about that to be honest.

But if what you said applies with regards to US military cars only being allowed to be taken on the road if they meet the local laws then why is it that you guys can drive your cars over here even with having all the aftermarket parts on and without meeting our emission, noise and safety regulations? Doesn´t make sense to me really.

R34 GTR Vspec Nismo and Reinik Motorsports Japan equipped

Mapped by Richard Bell from Bellsautoservice UK
RXXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Curb-Smacker

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Because they make the ru;les based on a combination of laws betwen DOT law and the german TUV. In the states alot of what is allowed on our cars isnt here in germany. )i.e. spoilers, exhaust and stuff like that while in the same stance we are allowed to drive other cars i.e skylines jspec cars because they are allowed over here with modification correct? well within the standards of the law alot of that modification we dont need for our inspection.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

Drives: Skyline R34 GT RB25DE TipTronic
Club ID#: 22614

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hi Folks,

it seems that my input did match the circumstances.....and I am really wondering that KOREA is sooooo strict.
I think they do not allow foreign cars into the country to protect their local car sale business.

As with TUEV and DOT regulations.......surely many older imported US-registered cars would not be allowed into Germany if they where to pass the vehicle inspection and Emissions Test according to §§ 21 StVZO (Road Traffic Registration).

I am aware, that Germany before it gained back complete sovereignty, had various contracts with the USA (after WW2) to make it much easier for US-Military Personell to be released from regulations that would be an obstacle during their stay abroad.
How it is now I can´t tell but I assume that not many things did change.

CU, blackjack64
blackjack64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Drives: Skyline R33
Club ID#: 19842

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (2)

View My Pictures
I been station in Korea and couple of soldiers had skylines on post so the do allow Foreing cars
Sky_r33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Aznlife9

Drives: 2002 Nissan Skyline 250GT
Club ID#: 23989

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Talking Hey

Yea I just Left Korea and was there for 2 years there are skylines there but in the 2 years I was there and I went ALL over from Near North Korea to Busan I only seen 2. Unless there were some Hidden that's all I seen... I will call My mother-in-law (I'm married to a korean) and see what's the rules I know its REALLY different than here....
Old 28-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Aznlife9

Drives: 2002 Nissan Skyline 250GT
Club ID#: 23989

Country Flag

View My Pictures
If your in the Army I can tell you as far as Osan and Humphreys if your not command sponsored they won't let you and if your in the Seoul area you should be good because my friend has a bike and a car and he's not command sponsored. Otherwise you have to be E-7 or above before they will let you drive if you don't bring family.. I know it sounds like BS but tha't's how it was when I left and I've only been away going on 2 months.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Curb-Smacker

Country Flag

View My Pictures
yea ive heard that about korea also but go to customs here in the germ and ask about the sofa agreements there for autos and they should have some detailed info for you