Swiss, Austrian, Italian Alps... Who has been? - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > GERMANY / AUSTRIA / SWITZERLAND

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #1

Club ID#: 46315

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Swiss, Austrian, Italian Alps... Who has been?

Just wondering who all has driven the Alp roads like Susten, Furka, Stelvio, Silvretta, etc etc... I am planning to go in the late spring. Just wanted to get some pointers before I make any solid plans. What should I be aware of? What was your favorite stretch of road? What are some other good roads?
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

View My Pictures
Also, where are some good spots for lodging?
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: R34 Gtt, Triumph Daytona 600, BMW S1000rr MX5 sportstech.
Club ID#: 23011

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Not sure about the name of roads etc but me and the mrs did a road trip a few summers ago. Went from Calais to Brugge, stayed there for a romantic weekend (her choice you understand) then down to the nurburgring for 3days (my choice obviously), before heading down through Germany playing on the autobahns. Spent the night in a hotel in Austria up in the alps before heading down into Italy the next day by driving down through the Dolomites. Absolutely stunning scenery and breathtaking roads pretty much all the way. Then headed for Venice and spent 3 days wondering around getting lost there. Drove back home through France as money was now running low but I'd have rather headed back up into the alps and taken another day or two to get home.
Obviously the stelvio pass etc are famous for being epic but I don't think it really matters which roads in the alps you hit as they are all pretty much spot on.
Sorry officer! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1997 Stagea RS4 Dayz
Club ID#: 41657

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (4)

View My Pictures
Done a few of them a couple of years back in a 150 vw polo. Part of staples 2 Naples banger rally. Can't really go wrong when your there, just to for a blast! Austrian and swiss roads were better looked after, some of the lesser known roads were better as the big ones were very busy, in a tourist attraction type way! If it was great fun in a little 1.4 fwd eurobox I'm sure it'll be amazing in a decent car.

If I was to do it again though iI'd go all the way to Romania. The guys that ran staples 2 Naples were doing banger rallies to that end of Europe and the transfaggerian (or whatever its called!) Highway years before top gear 'found it' and they reckon some of the roads round there are unbelievable. They knew what they were talking about as they basically spent 10 years earning a living finding and organising trips to some of the best roads in Europe and north america.

If you do go, it sounds patronising and I don't mean it to be but do be careful! The cops over there (especially the swiss) have a very dim view of the passe tourists, and if you crash will arrest you and charge you recovery costs and damage to the road almost before calling an ambulance.

You'll need a tax disc type thing if you go on motorway in Switzerland - but you can buy them cheap on eBay before you go. Check what you need for each country (hi viz etc) as its different everywhere and there's penalty fines if you get stopped without it.
mowgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

View My Pictures
Thanks for the heads up. I plan to drive as safe as possible since my family will be with me. I'm going to make a 4 day trip out of it. One thing I found out by watching youtube... Stelvio has nice concrete guards 99% of the way, but is narrow as hell. Another thing, Furka has little to no guard rails, but we want to see the Rhone Glacier.
Old 31-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: Skyline R34 GT RB25DE TipTronic
Club ID#: 22614

Country Flag

View My Pictures
In addition:
heres my Trip with a R34 GT RB25DE TipTronic,from August 2010 which was suppose to be just a Car-Gathering in Belgium and ended up with a marvellous 7 Days, 7 Countries and 7 Alpine Passes Tour.

Enjoy

http://www.skyline-forum.de/showthre...er-7-Alpenpsse
blackjack64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 14716

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
^^I'd love to do a trip like that
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

View My Pictures
That's awesome, I can't wait to take a trip
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Drives: Skyline GTR R32
Club ID#: 9001

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Did a trip over Fluelalpass and towards Stelvio last summer. Fantastic trip!

The one thing to be aware of in my mind is the bikes..

I started very very early. Left Davos around 0600 on a Sunday morning and headed west.
In June you will have light from just after 0400 in the morning, so if i do it again, i will start even earlier.

The roads and the views are amazing, and the only fly in the ointment on this day was when the bikers woke up...

At about 0900 the roads suddenly got crowded with weekend warriors who think their bikes are faster than anything but the Millennium Falcon...

So when you get stuck behind them, it takes away from the drive. Or when they try to overtake without realizing what they are up against, it can get flat out hairy..

I was no longer able to enjoy the roads, so after three hours of unadulterated driving pleasure, I turned around and headed back. Empty roads, stunning views and hundreds of amazing curves was a very nice experience.
Starald is offline   Reply With Quote