The search for an R34 begins - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Regional Forums > GERMANY / AUSTRIA / SWITZERLAND

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #1

Club ID#: 50314

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
The search for an R34 begins

Hi,

I have just moved to Hannover from the UK and am about to start my hunt for an R34 GTT.

Could anyone from Germany explain a bit about the import and TÜV process? Are there any particular issues?

Any import and insurance company recommendations would also be much appreciated!
Tombart is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTS-T
Club ID#: 44792

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
One wrong button hit and the whole post is gone . Sorry when the answer is a little shorter now.

The import process itself should be explained by an import shop. To name a few:
GL Imports, TJ Imports, RSC Revultion Sports Car, ...
They bid on your wanted car, and if successfull, handle the whole process, incl. shipment.
What you roughly require:
- agreement for sale
- export certificate
- import certificate / bill of landing
- proof/certificate for paid duty and taxes
As I bought a Skyline which was already imported this list can be incomplete.

When the car is in Germany you require german documents for the car. To get these you require a "Gutachten gemäß § 21 StVZO", which means "certificate according to § 21 street regulations".
Just special trained TÜV people may create these. TÜV=regulations here in Germany.
It makes sense to go to one which has experience with Skylines, which speeds up the process. The import shops normally have the required general documents (f.ex. emissions), which saves you alot of work to obtain these. Let them handle this process.
Some modifications are required, for example headlight conversion (for right lane driving), addition of a rear fog light, and some more things.

Normally the regular inspection is then also executed. If not this also has to be done (breaks, lamps, tire tread, ... the usual).

It you have the certificate §21 and inspection you take all the mentioned documents to the Straßenverkehrsamt (road traffic licensing department). They then create the german documents and you may get your license plate.

You can do all steps by yourself, but it makes sense to let import shops take care of all the steps up to the road traffic licensing department. They can do that for you too, but that last step really is a piece of cake.

----------

So what's your options:
- buy a car from UK/Japan and run through all the mentioned steps (time consuming)
- buy a car which has been imported, but has no german documents and no certificate §21
- buy a car which already has german documents (easiest route)

If you want to drive a modified car and have teh moneyz point 1 or 2 should be the route to go, if possible. Why, you may ask ?

If a car has german documents all modifications have to comply to german street regulations. That doesn't sound special at first. Problem is that EVERY aftermarket part (exhaust, coilovers, steering wheel without airbag, wheels) then requires a TÜV certificate for the car to which they are mounted.
Easy for cars which have been officially sold in Germany. Non-existant for the Skyline.
Which means you requite an exception certificate for every modification, which can get costy. Also that's not possible for all parts.

For example:
1) steering wheel without airbag: Totally possible before creating the certificate. When you already have german documents then the airbag is mentioned there. Replacing the airgbag-steering wheel with a non-airbag steering wheel reduces the safety of the driver, which makes it almost impossible to drive that legally.
2) wheels: Require a TÜV certificate where the Skyline is mentioned as approved, so you may mount them on your car. If you have none (which WILL be the case) you require an exception approval, which is expensive. If they're already mounted on the car before creating the certificate you shouldn't need that exception approval.

I can write an endless list of examples, but I guess you get the point. So if you get a car which has no german documents and NO certificate acc. to §21, there is still not everything possible, but alot more.

The most well-known shop which helps with TÜV and certificates is RHD-speedmaster.
They created alot of exception certificates for aftermaket parts.

----------

EDIT:
A guick search brought me to that site:
http://carshipping.locum-services.co...n-imported-car
Didn't read it in detail, but seems informative.

Last edited by KonradGER; 15-11-2014 at 04:16 PM.
KonradGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen

International Area Rep

Drives: R33 Gts-t 1993, Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTI
Club ID#: 30069

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (23)

View My Pictures
MPS Engineering - News

Old 15-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

View My Pictures
@Konrad

Thanks a lot for your help! I never even thought about needing certificates for aftermarket parts! My first intentions for any Skyline that I get are to put a new exhaust on it and new wheels. So I would need permission to do this?!

Also, are there any insurance companies that are recommended for import cars?

Thanks,

Tom
Tombart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Yes, unfortunately you do. OEM parts or parts built as OEM spec replacement are ok. (Almost) everyhing else requires TÜV certificates. No TÜV certificate -> exception required.
Catback and wheels are generally no big deal. Still, better to put them one before creating the certificate §21, as in that case it gets a little more expensive, but it's possible without any TÜV certificate for the aftermarket parts.

Exhaust:
There's a maximum volume allowed by regulations (don't know the value)
If you already have german documents there's a dB value written in it. Modifications may just be in a max. tolerance (5dB?) to that value.
As far as I know HKS HiPowerSilent is generally ok, regular HKS HiPower is too loud and requires a silencer. Blitz NÜR Spec also just with silencer.

Full exhaust, including catalytic converter ?
Catalytic converter is tax relevant because of emissions (less emissions, lower tax rate). Removing cat (decat) before having the certificate §21 is possible, but results in higher tax rate.
Removing cat after creating the certificate is not that easy, as you intentional want to worsen emission values of the car, which runs fine in its current state.
Race cat is an option. Not going into details here, that would be too much.

Wheels:
As written in my last post. There are no TÜV certificates from the manucaturers of the wheels mentioning the Skyline -> exception approval required (which normally means one additional wheel which will be destroyed at TÜV to be tested).
But in the german forum there are enough people driving ROTA, WORK, Blitz and so on, so there are already exception approvals for the known makes. The import shops and especially RHD-Speedmaster can definitely help you there. They won't give you those exceptions, as they cost them money. But you can give them your Sky and they'll do the rest.

Insurance companies:
No recommendations. Most don't have the Skyline in their databases, which means that they take a "Comparison-car" to calculate your insurance fee. Makes sense to talk to multiple companies and discuss which car they should take as comparison. Some take a 350Z (expensive), some a 200SX (better). Generally they look for year, displacement and HP.

Last edited by KonradGER; 15-11-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 15-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

View My Pictures
Don't make things easy in Germany, do they!

Regarding the exhaust, I don't plan on having anything very loud, as it would probably end up annoying me more than anything else... Definitely won't be decatting, so I doubt there would be too many issues there.

Concerning the wheels, I am already set on some Rota Grids, so are you saying that there would be no issues with these? What sort of costs are involved with getting TÜV approval for them?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 15-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
They do make it easy, if you put on your aftermarket parts before creating the certificate according to §21 ;). Afterwards still not complicated, if you know the regulations/laws. More or less a question of time and money then.

Rota Grids are well-known. There are definitely german Skylines which have them legal, so this shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the costs, I can't say anything about that. You should really talk to import shops or directly RHD-Speedmaster and mention them the parts you want to add.

As you move to Germany, do you speak german ? As the german forum skyline-forum.de has a very active user base, whereas it's a little calm here in this subforum.

Last edited by KonradGER; 15-11-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spell checking FTW
Old 15-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #8

View My Pictures
Yeah I speak German. I'll have a look on that forum, thanks!

I'll try and buy my main aftermarket parts at the same time as the car and get them installed before all the registration process. I have a pretty good idea of what I want, so it's not a big issue I suppose.

Cheers,

Tom