Warm Idle Issue - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > Tuning, Technical Questions

Tuning, Technical Questions Use this Forum to talk about all things technical & tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Drives: 1997 Skyline GTST
Club ID#: 87570

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Warm Idle Issue

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my 1997 R33 GTST S2 and was hoping you knowledgeable people can help guide me to what to I should do to figure it out. I have searched the forum and have found problems similar to what I am experiencing however no one with the same issue that I can find. My issue is once my car warms up it begins to idle rough. I notice a drop in RPM's anywhere from 100 - 200 when this happens. I also can hear an audible pop from the exhaust and can feel a shudder throughout the car. This happens only when the car is warm and stopped at idle. It happens every 30 seconds or so and I'll experience multiple drops over a span of 5 seconds or so. One thing I have noticed recently while having the hood popped while this is happening was each time the RPMs drop I hear a single loud tick that seams to be coming from an area near the firewall however I cant pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. I have also noticed that the idle gets rougher when I have either the heat or AC on. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what can be the issue as the car starts and runs perfectly.

I should also mention I purchased the car from Japan and had it shipped to Canada through a broker so I don't have much history on the car but from what I can tell it is basically stock with the exception of a Blitz turbo timer and the muffler appears to have been replaced with a NISMO brand.

During my searches throughout forums I have come across some things to attempt and here is what I have done in attempt to fix the problem however it still continues

- Re soldered and cleaned AFM
- Cleaned AAC Valve
- New spark plugs gapped to 0.8
- Cleaned coil packs
- New fuel filter
- Checked fault codes through the dash which showed no issues
- Checked engine bay and hoses for leaks
- Rough idle no change when unplugging 02 sensor
- Fresh oil change, old oil appeared clean and free of debris
- New Optima yellow top battery as the old one was weak

When the vehicle arrived in Canada last year I also had to re solder dash gauge connections due to gauges not working and soldered in new relays into the ABS module. I have recently ordered a consult cable to help with diagnostics of the car so I am just waiting for that to show up. Any suggestions on routes that I can take to help figure out this issue would be greatly appreciated!
NL_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Is it hard to start once hot? and when the A/C etc is on does the engine keep RPM or raise it or lower or just run rough, i would take a look at the ECU coolant temp sensor as this will give permanent rich mixture and can cause all sorts of issues .

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"

Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 06-06-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:43 AM   #3

View My Pictures
There’s no difference once hot in starting. It starts perfectly when hot. When AC is turned on I don’t notice any real change in RPM’s the car just continues to idle rough. I have received my consult cable and ran a quick check of the gauges. My idle seams to be a bit higher. I’m idling around 850-900 and is my understanding should be around 650 so I may try and adjust that lower and see if there is any change with my issues. One other thing I noticed on my consult read out was my timing started around 15 and dropped to 5 once warmed. A quick search revealed people with the same issue with some people saying it was normal and others saying it was an abnormal value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97CACD48-0339-45D3-B126-EA1F45E101E8_1559785116505.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	110288  
NL_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #4

View My Pictures
**Update to the situation* - When TPS unplugged the rough idle completely went away. I adjusted the idle back to between 650-688 ish and the problem seams to have been fixed. The car sounds much better and is holding a steady idle with no pops/blips or rough idle in this idle range and no change to idle when tps plugged in aswell. Consult is also showing a steady idle and a rock solid 15 for the timing. Once the rain clears up it will be time for a test drive and hopefully this is the end of this issue until the next problem surfaces haha
NL_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
It may pay you to check and if necessary reset the TPS voltage.

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote