350Gt Double din how to - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > G35/350GT Forum > General 350/g35

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shakysco
  • 1 Post By shakysco

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep

Area Rep

Drives: Skyline number 4, A 350gt
Club ID#: 13806

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (6)

View My Pictures
350Gt Double din how to

Finally finished off my 350gt double din install last week so I thought I would put up a how too thread.

I didn't have any of the usual problems with my standard double din but I just don't do standard headunits, I like my gadgets too much.

After a fair bit of searching various forums etc and finding out that the option of the Metra double din kit just wasn't going to do (it's quality isn't the best, poor heater controls) I started the hunt for a JDM double din dash.

I Finally found one on the Japanese Yahoo auction pages (a bit like ebay only in Japanese) and after a bit of confusion and head scratching I found jauce.com who are a site based in japan who deal with the Japanese auction sites sort out the fee's and postage and repacking and send the items on to you, Yes you pay a fee for the service but it’s still far cheaper than buying in the Uk or on the USA eBay site.

After waiting a few weeks my JDM double din finally turned up in the UK, Package still in one piece, Perfect. IT did come with heater controls and the vent, they were removed for dipping.

I Knew when I purchased the double din dash it was the wrong colour but I didn’t mind that as I had a few interior pieces I wanted done all the same colour so off to my local Hydro Dipping place it went and after a few hours of choosing the colour that it was going to end up we settled with a grey base coat and carbon dip on top.

Also did my door handle covers carbon at the same time

Finally time to rip the dash apart, videos on you tube that show you how a few screws here and there but it’s not that bad a job as it looks. Oh it’s well worth changing the cabin air filter while you are doing this job as its located behind the glove box, i Purchased my replacement filter from conceptua tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6mKPSG1lwM

I bought standard stereo cable adapters from ebay, makes life easier.

Autoleads PC2-76-4 Nissan 350Z 2003 - 2006 Car Stereo ISO Harness Adaptor Lead | eBay

And a radio lead adapter cable too.

Autoleads PC5-87 Nissan Car Stereo Radio Aerial Antenna Adaptor Cable Lead | eBay

So the only thing I had to end up soldering in with the rear camera feed cable to the headunit cable (easy job)

The cheap camera I fitted.

HD Waterproof Wide Night Vision Car Reverse Camera/Rear View Parking LED Sensor | eBay

I went for the pioneer apple car play headunit and was glad I did, cracking headunit for the price just need to wire in a usb cable and normal iphone charging cable (not the lightening hdmi/usb wiring adapter cables as pioneer state) which I located in the arm rest storage to hide it away.

The double din dash was a bit harder going back in but easy enough for anyone to do really.
Overall a simple enough job to do once you gather all the parts up and rip everything out.
OJAY likes this.

http://www.gosh.org/

Last edited by shakysco; 31-07-2015 at 02:41 PM.
shakysco is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: 03 350GT
Club ID#: 31920

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Looks great.
What company did you use for the dip?
gillywig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Area Rep

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thanks..

2k customs they are local to me in inverness, couple of little flaws on it if you look close but the shape can't be the easiest to do..

I'm happy with it...

shakysco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: 370 gt type s
Club ID#: 44526

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Looks well smart mate......
Whitevanman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Area Rep

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Cheers really need to take a better photo of it finished thou.

Just had a thought this thread would be better in the 350 gt electric And ice section if any mods/admin see this can no you shift it please...

Old 31-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: 350 GT
Club ID#: 30661

View My Pictures
Good work and an excellent post shakysco - I'm looking into music system upgrade atm so thanks!
OJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 33914

View My Pictures
Excellent thread looks great too

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
original_sid4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 49641

View My Pictures
350Gt Double din how to

Great thread thanks for links to required cables.

Im about to do this myself, I've gone for the metra one as the JDM is difficult to source and I picked it up for 40

I noticed you removed the heater controls to dip, is it therefore possible for me to swap my Oem heater buttons into the metra unit?

Also I already have reverse cam powered so will just need to plug into head unit, does the unit auto switch to camera when you put in reverse?

Thanks

Last edited by Piranha; 14-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
350Gt Double din how to

I've found the answers to above but have noticed the Iso adapter states for non Bose amplified systems

My stereo doesn't say Bose on it but I do have the jap tv and nav, I've checked in the boot and actually there is no amp

Does the head unit I buy need to be compatible with canbus?

Thanks again just want to get correct parts.

Last edited by Piranha; 15-10-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #10

Area Rep

Country Flag

View My Pictures
piranna, the heater controls depend on what headunit you have, i'm told some are linked to the wiring of the headunit or the tv unit, My heater controls werent so could be changed over.

The reversing camera should have a power/earth wire on the headunit which will tell when the circult is linked ie when the reversing lights are on, i take it the camera is wired into the reversing lights at the rear?

not too sure about that headunit apapter, not too expensive thou and always better to buy both if your not sure as removing the headunit is something you dont want to do offen...
Piranha likes this.

Old 16-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
350Gt Double din how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakysco View Post
piranna, the heater controls depend on what headunit you have, i'm told some are linked to the wiring of the headunit or the tv unit, My heater controls werent so could be changed over.

The reversing camera should have a power/earth wire on the headunit which will tell when the circult is linked ie when the reversing lights are on, i take it the camera is wired into the reversing lights at the rear?

not too sure about that headunit apapter, not too expensive thou and always better to buy both if your not sure as removing the headunit is something you dont want to do offen...

Hi thanks for getting back to me, I've ordered both those adapters and the metra kit has arrived.

Yes the camera is spliced into rear reverse loom and AV linked to a rear view mirror screen at present.

Re the heater controls, don't spose I'll know until I remove the old unit, the metra kit comes with a loom that connects to the car.

My plan is to aux out of the HU into the jap screen, to give a twin screen set up.

I've read that installing HU without canbus adapter can effect things like the stereo keeping time, being able to operate when key is in Acc position and that fitting without adapter has damaged some obd scanners in the past. Prob Chinese whispers but just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks again