new head lights question - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > G35/350GT Forum > General 350/g35

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLITZSKYLINE

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 49597

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
new head lights question

High guys sorry to ask this but if your not sure just ask eh im looking at upgrading my head lights im just gunna get the covers polished as they have discoloured and get some hids can u tell me if i need a conversion kit or just the bulbs in my 03 350gt
finno85 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Drives: Skyline 350GT 6 speed
Club ID#: 5836

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
The dip beam is already HID, you can add one of the ebay HID kits for the high beam, and LEDs for the side lights.

Originally posted The Great White

"Nissan is like Lego"
Tricky-Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Ya it was the high beam i was on about so its a kit i need il have a look mate
finno85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 33914

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by finno85 View Post
Ya it was the high beam i was on about so its a kit i need il have a look mate
search for my thread i did a full refurbish of my headlights including doing a complete HID and LED installation. If i can find it i will repost on here.
original_sid4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
http:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

First time ive put a link on here is it working anyway its a h7 hid 55kw kit is this the one i need
finno85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #6
Seasoned Member

Drives: Infiniti G35 (US spec)
Club ID#: 47524

Country Flag

View My Pictures
So, does anyone know if this HID mod will work with the newer version of our lights? I know that most people here are running the reflector style headlights with the side light strip. For the US market, a popular item to change to is the 06-07 headlights that have a projector built in. I'm using these now and I do like them. Just wondering if the HID mod will work for the fog light portion of these headlights as well. I would think it would. Thanks.
Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
I have done it and it works fine with the original headlights. I had problems with poor visibility and my reflectors were badly pitted. Rather purchasing aftermarket lights from US which are for LHD G35 i refurbished converting low and high beam to HID and a LED strip

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Old 21-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by finno85 View Post
http:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

First time ive put a link on here is it working anyway its a h7 hid 55kw kit is this the one i need
I did not seem to open the link you posted. I used aftermarket HID kit with 6000K bulbs i believe they were NSSC CANBUS HID BALLAST.The kit cost me 70. I think if memory serves me you have to ensure they are canbus, im sure tricky can explain.

Last edited by original_sid4u; 21-09-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 21-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Drives: V35 Skyline 350GT 6 Spd man
Club ID#: 12030

Country Flag

View My Pictures
usdm lights point wrong way do not work on UK cars been covered many times over the years

plus they are cheap rubbish , steam up issues etc

getr yours refurbed , remove lense
have insides done black
lenses polished and glued back on
original_sid4u likes this.
Old 21-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I think if its US spec or not does not make a difference to the quality. It's just the reflectors inside that angle differently depending on whether its LHD or RHD. Additionally, I'm sure whether its badged a G35 or Skyline 350GT it's all made at the same place anyway. Now if you are referring to aftermarket lights, that is different story.

On a different note, where would someone go to get the headlight work done i.e. painting, refurbing, etc here in the UK? In the US, there are places that do it, but I wasn't sure if that was available in the UK. Or, is that something that would be a DIY project?
Old 21-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #11
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
DIY really, as not many places would want to risk it, but it not too difficult, just a case of getting a hot air gun on the sealer that holds the glass/plastic, once they are apart just mask up and spray, some put the headlight in the oven to soften the sealer, but its a risk as its easy to get them too hot.

"Nissan is like Lego"
Old 22-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Seasoned Member

Drives: V35 Skyline 350GT 6 Spd man
Club ID#: 12030

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quality is very poor as in the aftermarket LED lights you see on ebay from USA

Talk to all the aussie guys if you want to know how bad they are the majority are not xenon lights either which means you are fitting downgraded lights you then have to fit HIDS in which is a bit pointless

aftermarket fitment is extremely poor
they leak and steam up
they point the wrong way as designed for LHD cars

There is a massive V35 scene in Australia they have pretty much done it all with GTs

regards headlamp DIY ... No need
There are loads of pro headlamp companies in UK who refurb it costs approx 200 a pair you send your lights off they come back done its very very popular in the EVO scene the lights are re sealed and tested for any seal leakage and garaunteed

350GTs suffer with lense dulling as do all JDM cars just get them pro machine mopped and glaze polished that usually lasts a good 2 years if kept regualry waxed standard 350GTs have xenon lights but the high beam is not , a few people upgrade the high beam to xenon and add LED side lamp bulbs, not sure why you would swop out the the excellent factory xenons for cheap chinese HIDS

GT standard lights look fanstatic after they are pro refurbed and insides done black

majority of poor lighting issues on GTs is because they are set to low a common thing SVA do to get them through as no washers or self levelling also check they havent put different bulbs in , set at the correct level and the lenses polished GT lights are superb.

Last edited by BLITZSKYLINE; 22-09-2015 at 09:28 AM.
BLITZSKYLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Seasoned Member

View My Pictures
DIY project as Tricky says get a heat gun to lightly heat the seal and separate it. You have to be patient and brave to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLITZSKYLINE View Post
Quality is very poor as in the aftermarket LED lights you see on ebay from USA

Talk to all the aussie guys if you want to know how bad they are the majority are not xenon lights either which means you are fitting downgraded lights you then have to fit HIDS in which is a bit pointless

aftermarket fitment is extremely poor
they leak and steam up
they point the wrong way as designed for LHD cars

There is a massive V35 scene in Australia they have pretty much done it all with GTs

regards headlamp DIY ... No need
There are loads of pro headlamp companies in UK who refurb it costs approx 200 a pair you send your lights off they come back done its very very popular in the EVO scene the lights are re sealed and tested for any seal leakage and garaunteed

350GTs suffer with lense dulling as do all JDM cars just get them pro machine mopped and glaze polished that usually lasts a good 2 years if kept regualry waxed standard 350GTs have xenon lights but the high beam is not , a few people upgrade the high beam to xenon and add LED side lamp bulbs, not sure why you would swop out the the excellent factory xenons for cheap chinese HIDS

GT standard lights look fanstatic after they are pro refurbed and insides done black

majority of poor lighting issues on GTs is because they are set to low a common thing SVA do to get them through as no washers or self levelling also check they havent put different bulbs in , set at the correct level and the lenses polished GT lights are superb.
Old 22-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
Seasoned Member

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hmm...some good information here.

I do have a spare damaged headlight that I may try a DIY on if its not too difficult. Is there a particular heat gun you guys would recommend? I'd rather try the heat gun method since I'd be a bit worried about leaving the light in the oven too long. I wouldn't mind trying to paint the shrouds black. What I do like about the 06+ lights are the projectors and clear lenses as opposed to the orange lenses. What I wish was kept on the 06+ lights was the side strip. Has anyone tried to do a DIY on removing the orange lense at all?

Blitz...what shops would you recommend here in the UK for doing headlight work? Can they do painting and the orange lens replacement? What about doing a projector retrofit on the 03-04 headlights?

I've never had personal experience with aftermarket headlights myself. I've read various things, but since our cars are rare here, it's difficult to find anyone with car, let alone the aftermarket lights as well.
Old 23-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #15
Super Moderator

View My Pictures
Its not difficult, more common sense really, I used a paint stripping gun carefully! but a decent hair dryer will probably do it, just be a bit slower, you just need to heat enough to get a knife in there and start to work around slowly,

I removed and reshaped the pliable mastic to re make an even seal, AFAICR the only difficult bit to remove was the inner reflector, from there its a simple job of scotch brite or wet n dry the back plate/reflector for a key and spray with satin or matt black.

With it apart it would be an easy job to replace the side light with LEDs, not sure about retro fitting another reflector unit, it would depend on what you can get.

Don't think I would even consider paying 200 for someone to do it, but I guess if you don't have the skills its an option.

The low beam is a HID/xenon 35w DR2 and the high beam/fog light is 60/65w HB2 halogen, I converted mine to a CAN bus compatible generic HID/xenon ballasts and bulbs, I think I went for 6500K which matched the low beams, just a heads up if you std low beam ballast should fail, and you don't want to pay silly money for a replacement, I replaced one of mine with a generic CAN compatible unit, which worked fine.

"Nissan is like Lego"