Friendly MOT Station's - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > General forum upkeep > Suggestions

Suggestions Suggestions for the forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
Missing His R33 :(

Drives: MKiv Supra TT6
Club ID#: 6603

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Friendly MOT Station's

Just coming up for my first MOT with my 33 and started thinking about where to get it done. Having heard all the stories about dodgy MOT stations driving, revving or just being arseholes to our motors i thougt it might be an idea to get a list of friendly garages with good service for various parts of the UK.

So if you've had a good MOT, you're a tester yourself or you know a place that might ignore the odd indiscretion then post the details and hopefully i can get a list made up for the whole UK.

In the meantime, fingers crossed for the test at my local garage!
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #2

Club ID#: 1074

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
If I was a friendly MOT tester I would not really want it advertised on a public forum.
paulsskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
chico_king

Drives: R34gtt
Club ID#: 3069

Trade Feedback: (2)

View My Pictures
i am a freindly mot tester but as the above post says i wouldnt want my details on apublic forum where the man from vosa could see them!!
The ministry rules are there in black and white and although i dont agree with all of the test criterea if we bend the rules too far there is a chance that we could lose our licence and our jobs!
We had a customer with a modifyed civic turn up with blue side lights and a tiny number plate so after the test i changed the side light bulbs and taped his legal number plate over his illegal one and issued a pass certificate. the day after he gets pulled over by vosa doing roadside emmisions testing. It passed on emmisions but they noticed that it had blue side lights and a tiny front number plate. the bloke told them that it went through the mot like it!
The car turns up at our station with the owner and Mr Vosa and he asks to see my check sheet and the back copy of the certificate i had issued and then asked why i had not failed the car . Fortunately after the customer had left i decided to cover my back and had issued a failure as well which i then produced for Mr Vosa and explained we had changed the bulbs and the plate after failing it and before issuing a pass.
He is no longer a customer and we now make sure we always cover our backs!
chico_king is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Missing His R33 :(

Drives: MKiv Supra TT6
Club ID#: 6603

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico_king
i am a freindly mot tester but as the above post says i wouldnt want my details on apublic forum where the man from vosa could see them!!
i dont mean friendly=illegal, i mean friendly=non piss taking spanner monkey.

if your emissions are through the roof and your brakes wouldnt stop you at a crawl, then thats a fail and rightly so.
But i know a local garage that had a tester who saw every item that was starting to show wear as perished, resulting in an MOT fail and a labour charge for repairs!
He has since been fired and yes you can get someone reported and investigated etc for doing this, but if you dont know better then youre in trouble.

In an ideal world things like this wouldnt happen, testers wouldnt rev the engine to the redline for fun, and they wouldnt drive the car on the road to "test the brakes". But sadly its not an ideal world and as this forum will show these things DO happen.
I've even been fobbed off with an excuse about the rollers in order to try and keep my car there overnight!!! Like that was gonna happen!!!!

I just thought a list of standup garages with friendly knowledgable staff ( i've seen some right norberts before ("dur, a dump valve? what's that do then!!")) would be a nice little inclusion to the forums.
Old 13-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #5

Club ID#: 6777

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
i'm a friendly mot tester, i'll speak to anyone! but seriously, if a car is a fail it's a fail. if it's a pass it's a pass! simple as, we try to help all our customers and treat everyone of them the same! the garage trade in general has a bad name so theres no point in making it worse! besides if someone mis treated my baby i'd beat the f#*ker up, so i'd expect the same in return if i done it to someone else!
devilsprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #6

Club ID#: 1593

Trade Feedback: (4)

View My Pictures
Interesting...My Local MOT test center are quite good - they are used to seeing my Skylines and Scoobies and although they are a bit OTT and fail cars on silly things that some garages would not consider a failure point, they don't take the piss and don't take the car on test drives or do anything silly with them. I prefer a strict MOT tester who is happy to point out exactally what needs doing to one that will just pass the car to get it out of the way.

I do know what you mean tho' as some garage staff do seem to like taking modded motors on test drives. A few years ago I was out in my other car whilst one was being MOT'd - only to get overtaken by my own car!! Needless to say - that MOT station no longer gets my business!
Eastern Autos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #7

Club ID#: 6399

Trade Feedback: (5)

View My Pictures
I need to find a friendly mot'er in Berkshire, not because my car is only going to scrape through the test but because its very low and i'm concerned of having it damaged getting on the ramps.

i dont want any probs re the de-cat either
Richf is offline   Reply With Quote