how to guides - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > General forum upkeep > Suggestions

Suggestions Suggestions for the forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

Drives: skyline r33 gts-t s1
Club ID#: 7616

Trade Feedback: (2)

View My Pictures
how to guides

hi im a newbie

Ive been a member now for a couple of months and one thing has struck me as being most infuriating. This site is undoubtably filled with great information but why?? is it hidden.

While Ive been lookin around the site Ive come across some brilliant how to guides on jobs I wasnt looking for.But find it allmost impossible to find a guide to a job I am looking for using the seach feature.

for example fitting a dawes device on a r33gtst. search turns up loads of results which eather start by saying, this has been covered many times allready so i wont repeat, or all the people answering the question try to talk the person asking the question into buying a diferant usually more expensive product. or they slap a nice big picture up of there new wheel nuts. and the thread then shoots off at a tangent.

Would it be possible for all the really good how to guides to be collected up and have a list of links to them please?

This isnt criticism just me not wanting all the great stuff on this site and the hard work people have put into writing these guides to be findable.

thanks Simon

Last edited by LABRAT; 24-06-2006 at 07:34 PM.
LABRAT is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTS-T
Club ID#: 1631

Country Flag

View My Pictures
This has been brought up many many times in the past mate, but never implemented by the powers that be.

The SOC site has a howto section.

Now running 370.9bhp & 363.6lbft ATH
Deggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Administrator

Administrator

Drives: 92 RX-7 FD3s Type-R, BMW F30 330D MSport+
Club ID#: 2

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
We did have a how to section, but it was never used. This along with the concern that information provided is not correct and could cause damage to a car or in worst case scenario cause a fatal accident.

As Deggers mentioned, the Skyline Owners Club has a how to section, but I think you need to join the club to access it.

My Garage
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Punch me.

Drives: 5.5 V8
Club ID#: 5685

Trade Feedback: (18)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABRAT
hi im a newbie

Ive been a member now for a couple of months and one thing has struck me as being most infuriating. This site is undoubtably filled with great information but why?? is it hidden.

While Ive been lookin around the site Ive come across some brilliant how to guides on jobs I wasnt looking for.But find it allmost impossible to find a guide to a job I am looking for using the seach feature.

for example fitting a dawes device on a r33gtst. search turns up loads of results which eather start by saying, this has been covered many times allready so i wont repeat, or all the people answering the question try to talk the person asking the question into buying a diferant usually more expensive product. or they slap a nice big picture up of there new wheel nuts. and the thread then shoots off at a tangent.

Would it be possible for all the really good how to guides to be collected up and have a list of links to them please?

This isnt criticism just me not wanting all the great stuff on this site and the hard work people have put into writing these guides to be findable.

thanks Simon

i hope to be adding the tuning stages to my rebuild/setting up guide in the projects section over the next couple of months

if there is something you would like to see on there please let me know before i finish it
Old 29-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Administrator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Great stuff T.F.S.

I have a few ideas that will enable me to reinstate the How To section but remove any legal liability associated with the information. Keep your eyes peeled.

My Garage
Old 29-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #6

Club ID#: 5285

Trade Feedback: (10)

View My Pictures
Does it really go that deep when considering legal liability Lenny? I thought it was just a case of applying a nice big fat warning at the start and end of every thread of this nature that basically states that the info contained within is used at their own risk.
SPEARMINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Punch me.

Drives: 5.5 V8
Club ID#: 5685

Trade Feedback: (18)

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
Great stuff T.F.S.

I have a few ideas that will enable me to reinstate the How To section but remove any legal liability associated with the information. Keep your eyes peeled.
it may be an idea to instate someone as "advisor" to look over and edit threads

this would have to be someone who knew these cars inside out though....another line of defence i guess
Old 29-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Administrator

Administrator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint
Does it really go that deep when considering legal liability Lenny? I thought it was just a case of applying a nice big fat warning at the start and end of every thread of this nature that basically states that the info contained within is used at their own risk.
That would do the job, but I have a more low maintenance solution that could be used elsewhere (such as Nitey's room). Basically, the first time to go in to a specific forum on this site you will get an agreement popup and your acceptance of this agreement is registered. You will only have to do this once per agreement.

My Garage
Old 30-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #9

Club ID#: 4194

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Perhaps the How To guides should be restricted to the SOC, Would encourage more people to join up. I don't think that 7p a day is too much to ask for when you considder how much you get for it.

Just my thoughts tho.
Mark Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Seasoned Member

Drives: skyline r33 gts-t s1
Club ID#: 7616

View My Pictures
mark I allways thought forums were about enthusiasts swapping information, hints, tips and generally a comming together of minds.

charging people for info that in essance u got for nothing is a bit off. are u going to start paying your contributors?

simon
LABRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Administrator

Administrator

Country Flag

View My Pictures
All the information is available from one of the many Skyline forums around. I don't think paying for it is necessary when it is already freely available. The SOC provides value for money in other ways.

My Garage
Old 30-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #12

Club ID#: 4194

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
don't get me wrong, i don't think that information should be restricted. Just think that if how to's are going to be made and put as sticky's then maybe this should be something for the pay site. If you need to know something then by all means ask. just think that a how to section is something that should stay on the soc.
Mark Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote