My spec 1 GTST - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > Projects and Restorations

Projects and Restorations Show people what you're working on

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Drives: Spec 1 GTS25t
Club ID#: 25144

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
My spec 1 GTST

I bought Paul GTS-T's spec 1 on Monday (previously owned by Neils Skyline), and thought I'd start my own project thread for the car, firstly since I've found this car isn't perfect, and secondly since coming from my modified MR2 turbo it simply isn't fast enough as standard.

Here's the stuff it already has:

18inch Gold Ultralite Nurburgring Alloys, Falken 452 tyres, 255/35/18 rear, 225/35/18 front, HKS Induction Kit, HKS Turbo Timer, NGK Iridium spark plugs (heat range 8), Spitfire coil packs, Blue Silicone breather pipe kit, HKS oil filler cap & radiator cap, Cusco Front Strut Brace, Stainless Covers in engine bay, Powder coated Cam Covers & Belt Cover, Exedy 400bhp clutch, Japspeed Cat Back Exhaust and decat, GTR bootlid and spoiler, Smoked Side Repeaters, Clear Nismo front repeaters, Window tints on back 3 windows, Aftermarket Front Bumper (GTR replica?), red stuff brakepads, Calipers painted red with white letters front and back, GTR front and rear seats, Auto Gauge boost pressure/oil temp gauges, Nismo GT500 shift knob, Momo Steering Wheel, GTR Custom made mats, and whatever else I've missed.

Now for the stuff that I've found wrong with it so far:

On the test drive the engine was tapping when cold, but cleared completely when warm so assumed it might need new hydraulic lifters or something as the oil pressure reading looked good, so knocked him down on price a bit to cover the cost of bits. Drove well though, so still bought it. Got close to home though and the aircon pump disemboweled itself, which made me think the bottom end was buggered until I was able to check in daylight the next day. On the drive home I also found none of the dashboard lights work apart from the cluster itself, so I'm going to have to rewire the dash to make sure it's all okay. I had the centre console out while fitting my head unit yesterday, and found chocolate block connectors EVERYWHERE, and not just for the head unit wiring either so that'll be fun to put right again. The GTR bootlid doesn't appear to have had the car's original lock fitted to it, so now the car's key won't open the boot. I've also found it's using oil that's far too heavy for the standard engine, which could explain the tapping valvetrain when cold and should be changed ASAP to avoid causing any damage if it's not happened already. It's NEVER been undersealed even though it's been in the UK since 2006, and I'm also not sure that the plugs are the right heat range which won't help things either. I also want to remove everything that says GTR, like mats, the side cover bits on the boot spoiler, etc too. Oh, and it also needs a new bonnet stay clip.

Hopefully I don't find anything else, but when I get the above things resolved I'll be starting to modify it. Firstly I'll remove the turbo timer since I take it easy the last few miles anyway so it isn't needed, it interferes with the anti-hijack of the car's alarm meaning the doors won't unlock until the engine turns off, they're illegal anyway, and they just look crap stuck onto the dash. Then I'll get rid of the cheap auto gauge gauges and A pillar pods and figure out a more discreet place to fit a decent boost gauge (replace the clock maybe?). Once that's done, replace the crappy foam hks filter and fit something like an apexi instead, make a cold air box for it, source a better intercooler and maybe a side feed intake manifold, increase the boost to 10psi for the time being as just 7psi isn't enough at all, and then when I get more money together I'll be getting a better turbo, fuel pump, remappable ecu and turn the boost up properly. I may also fit an auto rear diff to shorten the gear ratios a little since it just doesn't accelerate as quick as I'm used to. I don't need to go over 150mph.

I'll keep adding posts when I do anything, just going to concentrate on getting the car right first...

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 09-09-2010 at 12:54 PM.
StuartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I guess nobody's bothered then!
StuartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1994 r33 gtst in white & mk4 golf gt tdi
Club ID#: 24044

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (5)

View My Pictures
HOPE YOU GET THE BITS SORTED BUDDY, LOOKS A CLEAN CAR FROM THE PIC, keep us posted dude

Old 13-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Thought I'd put the stuff I've done so far on here in case anybody's interested. It's almost at the point where I'm happy the car is sound enough for me to start modifying it, just need to get some spare time and some money together to do it! It's taken me quite a while to even get this far as pretty much all of my time is taken up with work and being a daddy.

Fitted my Kenwood DX5022 double din head unit.
Removed the old amplifier and rewired the rear speakers.
Wheel alignment checked and adjusted.
Serviced with 4.2 litres of Millers CFS 10w40 ester synthetic oil and Nissan A5208-H890C oil filter.
Replaced the bonnet stay clip.
Removed A pillar gauges.
Removed the turbo timer.
Fitted a genuine Nissan switch for the aerial.
Full undercar Waxoyl carried out.
Clicking heater vent motor repaired.
Dual stage boost solenoid switch removed, now earthed to give full boost permanently.
Throttle cable adjusted.
Fixed the loose wiring for the offside front indicator bulb.
Reconnected seatbelt warning light circuit.
Bootlock modified to accept the car's key.
Interior wiring rewired to repair dashboard illumination circuit.
Driver's side A pillar trim, B-C pillar trim and under dash trim replaced.
Bulbs replaced in heater control panel, demister, hazard and drivers window switches.
Sorted the noisy tappets out.
HKS foam induction kit replaced with an Apexi Power Intake.
Nismo gearknob replaced with an MGF Trophy Momo leather gearknob.
Aircon pump replaced and system regassed.
Boot leak fixed, seam sealant and rear lights were at fault.
Headlight level adjusted, and got rid of the yellow fogging on them so now I can actually see the road at night.
Windscreen wiper blades replaced.
NGK BCPR7ES spark plugs fitted to cure intermittent missfire/flat spots at high rpm on WOT.
Centre console storage lid latch repaired.
Electric window relay module repaired.
Headlight switch modified to make dipped beam stay on with main beam.
Relay wired into the passenger door lock switch wiring.

As for bits I'm to do next, I still need to replace my centre console trim as it's all scuffed, I also need to get front wheel arch liners and screws since my car has none at the moment. I'm toying with the idea of getting a brake stopper, one of DOA's light up rear panels, and it needs new front dampers (got KYB on the rear already so need to order KYB 341287's for the front from somewhere). As for modifying, I've got an R32 GTST's actuator on it's way, and I need either an FMIC or an R34 SMIC to replace the crappy R33 item, then possibly look at ecus, maybe an off the shelf RSP ecu since I'm nowhere near them to be able to get a custom map, or see if I can get a Nistune ecu which would allow me to map it myself and be able to ditch the AFM in favour of a MAP sensor. I also need to get a decent boost gauge and find somewhere for it where it doesn't look out of place. Might figure out a way of fitting it into the instrument cluster or fit it in place of the dash clock or something. Then save up again to get a better turbo, fuel pump, injectors, etc. I reckon about 400bhp will do me, but I'm only going to be able to afford the odd bit at a time, so it's some way off yet!

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 13-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 13-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Drives: R33 GTST S1, VR6 Corrado, Golf GTI
Club ID#: 20486

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (2)

View My Pictures
You've certainly been busy then
JDM Garage - www.JDMGarageUk.com
SkylineOwners.com on Facebook...http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=6402601034
mattiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Yep, I just can't believe no previous owners kept things in full working order, surely these cars should be cherished? The most prestigious car I've ever owned, and it's had by far the most little niggles wrong with it mainly out of neglect!
Old 13-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Seasoned Member

Drives: 1997 40th Anniversiry GTST
Club ID#: 22716

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Need more pixxors mate of what you are doing and more narrative.
de wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Yeah, sorry about the lack of pictures and step by step narrative, I just struggle to even get enough time to work on the car or drive it at the moment! I do intend to get some pictures up though, but the car doesn't look any different from when I bought it yet, albeit now less tatty inside...
Old 13-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
.......P33 TEX.........

Drives: Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T series 2
Club ID#: 11472

Trade Feedback: (19)

View My Pictures
Old 15-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Okay, still not had chance to get any decent pictures of my own yet, but here's a few pictures taken by the previous owner:

Unfortunately pictures can hide a lot, and although the bodywork is straight and clean, I had found more and more things wrong electrically and mechanically as time's gone on, hence the list of stuff I've already fixed in my other post above. If it looks too good to be true, it normally is! Finally getting there now though, just a few more loose ends to sort. The car still looks pretty much the same as above, except the HKS mushroom filter, turbo timer, pillar pod, Nismo gearknob and sunstrip have now gone.

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-01-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #11

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Right, not updated this in a while, but after a prolonged period of time where I've been chasing an AFM signal issue (which turned out to simply be the air filter FFS), I've finally got it resolved and now modded at little.

So in addition to the stuff already mentioned earlier, the car now has a handful of exterior alterations. The ugly spec 1 rear panel has been removed in favour of a DOA rear panel wired into the sidelight feed, I've also removed the cracked GTR front indicator lenses and moved the indicators into the headlights, and I've also converted the lower sections of the rear lights using Tyberious' PCBs. Doing this has given me led rear indicators, and led reverse and rear fogs each side. Here's some pictures showing before and after (although the rear panel was already fitted by this point):

Before:

These are the bits I fitted to my rear lights, compliments of Tyberious:

After:

Lit up at night:

As well as these subtle changes, I've also been tinkering with the mechanical side of things a little. I've removed the shitty 4 wire MPH converter chip and converted the speedo properly. I've also replaced the HICAS ecu as my old one liked turning itself off intermittently. As for performance mods, it now has a K&N air filter since the Apexi Power Intake was causing issues with the AFM signal and causing it to run rich as hell at full throttle. It's also now got a front mount intercooler, the boost solenoid removed completely and an r32 gtst actuator fitted giving me 0.8 bar actuator pressure, and an RSP off the shelf ecu to get me up to stage 1 without even needing to buy a boost controller. It also has a DIY cold air feed made out of drainpipe and an attempt at an air filter heat shield that I cut out of some aluminium I had lying around. I've also currently got a cheapo autogauge digital boost gauge and an AEM wideband fitted while I was making sure the car's running as it should be, though I've not decided if they'll be a permanent feature or not as I can't stand gauges being on show, so can't decide where they could stay.

Here's a few pics showing some of the bits:

Jperformance intercooler bought for cheap off Myki:

And here it is test fitted, you can see the standard side mount in the picture too to compare the size difference:

The R32 GTST actuator before I'd cleaned it:

My cold air feed going through one of the original SMIC holes, cost me all of 3 quid from Homebase:

My DIY air filter heat shield:

And this is it fitted along with the huge K&N air filter:

Those with a keen eye may also have spotted that it's a spec2 AFM fitted. That's because I tried different AFM's to cure my AFM signal issue until I found it was just the Apexi creating turbulence in the AFM. At least I can sell an AFM now to go towards something else. Even now it's all running well and at stage 1, it's still slow as hell though IMO, so next I'm saving up for more power and maybe an auto rear diff to shorten the gearing a little. I hate being skint.

I still need to tidy it up though, so I've got a UK spec rear foglight switch on it's way, along with me getting some custom made warning light sections made up for the instrument cluster so it'll have a telltale light, I still need to replace the terrible dash trim that's suffering with leprosy, the dash itself isn't great either, I also need to get some wheel arch liners for the front bumper, replace the boot trim, etc. I'm still looking for a genuine GTR third brakelight too as for some reason my spoiler doesn't have one, and having a blanking plate there instead annoys me. I'm also considering changing the smoked side repeaters for clear ones so they match the rear lights, and I might also replace the front bumper and grille as I'm not all that keen on them. The list is getting shorter though, and the little man seems happy with it as it is anyway!

Last edited by StuartTheFish; 04-08-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Drifter

Drives: Skyline R33 GTS-T 400HP
Club ID#: 10623

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Car looks very tidy in the pics, to bad you have'd problems with it

Nice tail light mod

Seems like your son is ready for some practice driving
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #13

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Cheers. Unfortunately most of the issues I've had have been down to neglect from previous owners, but thankfully the worst is dealt with now. Finally getting it back into the condition these cars should be kept in.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Banned from Site

Drives: r33 gtst
Club ID#: 20485

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (23)

View My Pictures
Good to see you looking after the motor and sorting out little niggles mine had couple when i got it only one that isnt sorted is heater vents clicking.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #15

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Ah, that one's an easy fix mate. The hardest part is getting to the unit in the first place!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk