Project Byakuren Super Silhouette - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > Projects and Restorations

Projects and Restorations Show people what you're working on

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 22-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Kyusha_Riot

Drives: 1988 Nissan Bluebird
Club ID#: 31448

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
Project Byakuren Super Silhouette

Well I pickup my new project car on Friday

I will get some pictures of it when i get it home, for now I will give away a few things for you guys.

The car is a 1988 Nissan Bluebird
Currently running a standard 1.6 transverse ca16 engine, so front wheel drive no fun and 84bhp ;) cracking lol.
It is a manual and has done around 118k miles.
Interior is perfect no tears or anything as far as I am aware.
only problems are a few small rust patches (expected for a car 24 years old).
The Carburetor is running a little rich but can be easily sorted.
And the fuel gauge doesn't work below a quarter of a tank, (I believe sender unit may need replacing.)
Also comes with mot till next April and taxed until October

I have a passion for the older generation Nissan's that ran in the super silhouette championship. the 3 monsters that defeated everything, The R30 skyline. The Silvia and The Bluebird. Between the 3 of them annihilated everything in the field. The bluebird won the championship in 1980, 1982 and just missed out in 1983. They all ran an LZ20BT engine running 570ps, These were an adapred L20 engine with a custom head manufactured by Omori Factory. Unfortunately a lot of people forget about the bluebirds success, a few of the Australian and New Zealand members may remember George Fury's bluebird in the ATCC back in the 80's a fair few times it dominated against the 5.7 litre falcons and the commodores with its little 1.8 turbo. Just proving more brilliance of Nissan, it's just a shame they get forgotten nowadays, so thought I would do something that may help revive them to some people.

The car will be going under a major change, I will be replacing the ca16 fwd engine with an s13 ca18det engine and converting the car to rear wheel drive. For a while the engine will probably run stock and slowly tune through stages one to three and my aim is eventually to hit a reliable 350bhp. but in no rush for that yet. The bluebird weighs standard 1010kg's so power to weight ratio will be staggering

I will be having to take sub frames from an s13 front and rear and mounting them too the car and also I will have to cut a tunnel out of the bottom of the car for the prop and gearbox and also a small bit for the diff at the rear. And also getting s13 hubs and driveshafts.
All the suspension will be upgraded along with the brakes and steering. Most of this probably from an s13.

The body will be widened 6 inches either side at the rear and 5 inches wider at the front. I will be making a complete fibreglass replica kit of the 1980's super silhouette bluebird race car, however this will be on a t12 bluebird not a 910. Because of the kit the rear doors are being welded shut as they will not be usable.

I will also be making the rear spoiler that was on the car however this will be made from alluminium and possibly a fibreglass blade. The bonnet is being remade of fibreglass along with the bootlid and the front wings.

The car will be sprayed black when all the kit is done, I am putting gunmetal rota rbx's on the rear 9.5j/17"/et -19 and a set of 55mm spacers on with these, this will give me an offset of -74 that will push the rear wheels out exactly 6inches to meet nicely with the wide arches. The original car ran 15j wheels :O hardly going to get them cheap and get tyres for the road)

As far as front wheels go I will likely do the same setup with either smaller spacers or a thinner width wheel with the same spacers as the rear.

I have done a few rough drawings of the blueprint of a standard bluebird and then redrawn them with the lines of the kit. all the kit will be made from wooden moulds then fibreglassed and released and most likely riveted to the car and smoothed into the body work.

I have done a lot of homework into all of this and I am still currently doing some now, I am trying to get as many details on everything as I can so when I start if I come to a problem I can work arround it.

I have had a fair bit of help from a few members on here only 2 of them knowing what the project has been. and thankyou to them for keeping it under wrapps till now

Anyways here are the pictures of what i have drawn and what end product will look like.

End concept

Rough drawings of it all, this was to give me a better look at some of the angles of the bodykit I need to make, all these drawings will be redone to scale as they are very rough. And a few changes need making to them.

Thanks for looking I will get pictures of the car up when I get it on the drive and then I shall start this extremely long project

RendleRIOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator View Post
buddy seriously once im finished there wont any back doors left for me to bash in.

Last edited by RendleRIOT; 22-05-2012 at 03:13 AM.
RendleRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

Drives: skyline R334 , Juke, Yam R6
Club ID#: 6059

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
Interesting project and unique. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Maybe go for the Rota GTR-D's like on mine, they go up to 12J. Less spacer the better if you ask me. Good luck and subscribed.

https://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=176211
F1 carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Everybody knows that the bird is the word

Drives: R32 GTS-t
Club ID#: 23737

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Hahahaha the thread finally happens
I'd still love to see an L series under the bonnet
People may now understand why the rear doors have got to go lol
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
The Great White is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular DWYB'r

Drives: Sideways :-)
Club ID#: 23776

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
I don't think the car would have the same feel if you compromised on the rear dish of the original. Bearing in mind the amount of time you're going to be investing in the car, you're probably going to use it occasionally. So tyre wear won't be an issue, you'll probably drive it high days and holidays. If you put the word out you might be able to source some similar era race rims with dish?

Just checked out the Image Wheels website. You can get 12J 17" wheels in this design for 454 each, then you're gonna pay less for a narrower pair for the front.

Read on your other thread you're gonna use it as your daily, might be fun parking and getting through tight spots!

Ian.

Last edited by Blackett; 22-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Blackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 carbon View Post
Interesting project and unique. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Maybe go for the Rota GTR-D's like on mine, they go up to 12J. Less spacer the better if you ask me. Good luck and subscribed.
Thanks mate I will look into these, I chose the rbx's cause of the low offset and the pcd I could find gtr-d's in a low offset with 4 stud pcd but I will have a look arround mate thanks

Quote:
buddy seriously once im finished there wont any back doors left for me to bash in.
RendleRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter's Minion View Post
Hahahaha the thread finally happens
I'd still love to see an L series under the bonnet
People may now understand why the rear doors have got to go lol
Haha yeah man thanks for keeping it all secret lol
And hah hell yes and l series would be lovely under the bonnet mate XD
And yeah I think they will lmao, aint no doors opening with the arches hahaha

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackett View Post
I don't think the car would have the same feel if you compromised on the rear dish of the original. Bearing in mind the amount of time you're going to be investing in the car, you're probably going to use it occasionally. So tyre wear won't be an issue, you'll probably drive it high days and holidays. If you put the word out you might be able to source some similar era race rims with dish?

Just checked out the Image Wheels website. You can get 12J 17" wheels in this design for 454 each, then you're gonna pay less for a narrower pair for the front.

Read on your other thread you're gonna use it as your daily, might be fun parking and getting through tight spots!

Ian.
Hey mate yeah I would really like some really deep dish wheels my problem is money and finding some so for time being I was going with the rbx's i can get the 2 rears for 327 and then in a few years when I have more money I was going to look into some wider wheels, thanks for the heads up on the image wheels aswell I will definately check them out. also do they come in 4 stud pcd as those ones in the picture are shown as 5 stud, fantastic looking wheels though

And haha yeah it will be a daily driver lmao, I think town driving will be rather ammusing the car will also be over 5 metres long haha that front splitter just extends it so much lol, It will be somewhat like driving a bus round town and extremely low bus

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
just contacted image about the billet 17's asked about offset on them. really nice design of wheel

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Seasoned Member

Drives: Stagea RS Four
Club ID#: 30856

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Awesome concept, really looking forward to seeing how this comes together! I remember seeing that Speedhunters picture about a month ago and thinking how awesome it looked - subscribed!
JamesC555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Also I had a question to put out there for any ideas, basically the original front end was a one piece fibreglass part and was just pinned down to the body, this is what I will also be doing however I would like the bonnet to be able to be taken off itself but also joined to the front wings so i can take it off as one piece, I was thinking maybe use bonnet pins like normal to attach it to the car and maybe some other pins to attach it to the wings incase I want to take it all off as one piece as this will be much easier when I come to engine change, but i need the bonnet to be able to be seperate at times as if i say just need to top up the oil or break down while out I dont want to have to take the entire front end off as if I am alone that will be quite difficult to get it off. I would like to somehow hide the pins that attach it to the wings as otherwise I will have like 9 million bonnet pins everywhere which isnt the nicest look. any ideas on how to go about this would be great.

Thanks,

Rendle.

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC555 View Post
Awesome concept, really looking forward to seeing how this comes together! I remember seeing that Speedhunters picture about a month ago and thinking how awesome it looked - subscribed!
Thanks mate, me too haha when it eventually comes together, got a lot to do.

thanks for subscribing mate

Forgot to mention the rear end all need extending aswell I forgot to note it down above as the 910 has a longer boot than the t12 so I am extending the rear of the car with fibreglass and remoulding the lights into it and the rear plate, my only concern is the boot lock, but I think I will just pin it down much easier than messing arround moving the lock further back and what not.

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Regular DWYB'r

Drives: Sideways :-)
Club ID#: 23776

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by RendleRIOT View Post
It will be somewhat like driving a bus round town and extremely low bus
Low and slow to avoid hitting a bump and ripping the front off. ;)

Ian.
Blackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Haah exactly that my friend ;) if i damage it i will liekly cry

it will be slow at first becasue it will still be running the 1.6 until the bodywork is done, then after bodywork the engine transplant will begin

Quote:
Old 22-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 32086

View My Pictures
Try Dzus fasteners. They are 1/4 turn ones. They use them in mini flip fronts a lot. You can get flush fittings ones but can't remember the name.
Nice project btw. Puts me in mind of the old Metro 6R4. Retro classic.
Spooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Kyusha_Riot

Country Flag

View My Pictures
oooh i forgot about those thanks mate will look into them they are quite small and neat aswell

thanks mate and mmmmmm 6R4 XD love them saw one in a museum a few years back my dad went to watch them in the 80s got stones pelted up him from one lmao

Quote:

Last edited by RendleRIOT; 14-07-2012 at 02:42 AM.