R34 - Project Bumblebee - Skyline Owners Forum

Welcome to the SkylineOwners.Com website. We aim to provide you with the largest knowledgebase anywhere on the internet for the Nissan Skyline.

Go Back   Skyline Owners Forum > Skyline Torque > Projects and Restorations

Projects and Restorations Show people what you're working on

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Drives: R34 GTT
Club ID#: 25953

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (3)

View My Pictures
R34 - Project Bumblebee

Well then...I figured since I've owned a Skyline for the last 7 years and I've now had my R34 for 2 of those years, I should probably do a project thread. I know the name isn't particularly original for a yellow car, but my Mrs likes the Transformer movies and it's the nickname that we've both used since I bought it

Anyway...I kind of cheated when I bought this one as the previous owner had done A LOT of work and had spared no expense (cos he was rich) so although it goes against the "built not bought" theory, it has saved me a lot of time and money and was done pretty much how I would have....More or less.

So this is how she looked when I bought her:

Engine Bay (only difference is the battery that I was test fitting at the time...Hence the crazy cable routing):

First thing's first...Get rid of those horrendous headlight brows and wind deflectors and stick on a carbon fibre bonnet:

After this I had to go to Afghanistan for 4 months so the car obviously didn't move or have any work done. On the plus side though, it means when I came home I could pay off all my debt and have a bit of spare cash to play around with
So I decided to tidy up the engine bay as it looked a bit of a state. A lot of the chrome on the pipework was peeling/flaking off, the silicone joiners were faded and the intercooler and oil cooler had definitely seen better days. I'm also a bit bored of the silver and blue look as it seems everyone does it so I wanted something a bit different and in the end I went for stealth black with a contrasting green
Brand new Mishimoto FMIC, Japspeed alloy radiator, all pipework removed and powder coated, all new silicone joiners (Mishimoto and JS Performance), new vacuum line kit, new JS coolant hoses and then the oil cooler and all the brackets (FMIC, headlights etc) were removed and painted black.

This was the end result...

This is how the car stayed for quite a while, until this year when I decided to take the car to its first show and realised that the wheels really let the whole thing down. I've never been a fan of the wheels that are fitted (Panasport G7's) but unfortunately funds won't allow me to fit the Rota GTR's and GTR-D's that I want. I thought as a temporary measure I would get the wheels powder coated to freshen them up a bit and thanks to Davie's photoshop skills, I knew what colour to go for so this is how the car looks now...

I got bored of having nothing new to do so I decided to make a cold air feed and heat shield for my air filter so I "relocated" some stuff from work and got crafting:

Just for a bit of scale...Beast!

Now this was done, I got bored again so I decided to start the prep work on my boot as I plan to make a little ICE install at some point and use the spare wheel well as a sub enclosure so that meant stripping everything out, removing and treating any rust and then getting some rustproofing paint down.

Done...

So that's how the car stands at the moment. 517bhp of slippery fun

Today was the last day of the car being on the road as I am planning on doing a lot of work over winter so I figured it was pointless renewing the insurance, tax and MOT. This is the real reason for starting this thread now as I'm hoping to transform the underside of the car and get back to driving in the nicer weather

Thanks for reading/scanning through the pictures

To make sure you can see all the pictures, use Google Chrome with the following patch installed:

Photobucket Embed Fix
Timmy_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

Country Flag

View My Pictures
I've kind of skimmed over some of the work that I've done by the way as it has taken quite a while to type this up and I got a bit bored

If I get round to it I'll go in to a bit more detail on some of the bits....Maybe.

To make sure you can see all the pictures, use Google Chrome with the following patch installed:

Photobucket Embed Fix
Timmy_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
BOOOOOST

Club ID#: 7644

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
great work man!,car looks ace

Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

Drives: r33 s1
Club ID#: 47963

Trade Feedback: (0)

View My Pictures
nice work keep us updated. im doing an ice install at the moment too
lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 49075

View My Pictures
Looks good . Nice power figures too .
benskyliner34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

Club ID#: 15827

View My Pictures
In the real world mate what is 500+ Like in these cars? How does it put the power down? I know its down to tyres and driver etc but im guessing its savagey quick?
the toffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
NORTHERN IRELAND AREA REP

Drives: Skyline no 7
Club ID#: 8407

Trade Feedback: (82)

View My Pictures
Not telling a man his job but strut top repair would be first on my list
SMURF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by the toffinator View Post
In the real world mate what is 500+ Like in these cars? How does it put the power down? I know its down to tyres and driver etc but im guessing its savagey quick?
I've got Yokohama Advan AD08 on the rear but it will still spin up in 1st and 2nd...3rd if it's wet :S
Because the turbo is a bit older (TD06) the lag makes it a bit like having 2 cars. If you pootle around and keep the revs low then it's a normal fast car and then if you want to give it some beans then it turns in to an animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURF. View Post
Not telling a man his job but strut top repair would be first on my list
It's first on my list for the new year when the car is back on the road. I've had quotes from a couple of places so it will be getting done don't you worry
Not only does it embarrass me at shows when I open the bonnet but it's getting to the point where I think it may be approaching unsafe.
SMURF. likes this.

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Country Flag

View My Pictures
So as promised, a bit more information about how the car has gotten to its current state.

The Wheel Saga

As I said before, the wheels obviously needed some attention to freshen them up a bit so I decided to turn them white. The original plan was to do it all myself using rattle cans to keep the cost down so I took the first one off...

They were MINGING on the inside...

So I got to work with the wire brush, wire brush drill attachment and some wet & dry...

You can't really see it in the pictures but the old paint was coming off in big chunks and the rims had started oxidising (I think) so there was loads of white crap coming off which turned in to a fine dust. Anyway, after a few hours of scrubbing and scraping I had a moderately acceptable surface to start spraying so I masked the tyre off and got a few coats of white on. Once it had dried I was quite happy with the result and definitely used the phrase "that'll do" quite a lot.
So off came the second wheel and back to work with the wire brushes. Bear in mind this was the weekend before a show and I was at work all week so I'd only having the evenings to work on the car. In the end I saw sense and phoned a powder coating company that was recommended by a fellow SO member. They said that the wheels would be finished before the show so I took the car to them the next day and they sorted me out

Unfortunately, because they're split rims, the seals were knackered in the process (in the oven I think) so after a few days the 2 rear tyres were flat. I went back to the powder coaters and they re-sealed the 2 rear wheels with Tiger Seal which seemed to solve the issue.
I then went to a different garage and bought 2 new fronts as mine were a bit worn and when they took the tyres off they found the valve looked like this...

So obviously the original garage couldn't be bothered getting a valve the right size and made a half-arsed attempt to fit these which was obviousy pretty dangerous. Had I of not bought 2 new tyres 1 week after having the wheels done, this would have gone unnoticed and who knows what would have happened.
Anyway, they're sorted now with shiny metal valves...

That's not the end though...Oh no. After a couple of weeks, both fronts had now lost pressure so I could only assume it was the split rim seal again. I took the tyres off and the seal was looking dry and...Crap

So I used "Seal Once" that I got from work...Which was terrible!
In the end I had to remove all of that and use Sikaflex...They're definitely not leaking now

So there we go. That concludes the wheel saga. All that trouble, effort and arguments just to make some wheels white.

Wish I'd just gone in to my overdraft and bought Rotas!

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 16-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Well enough about the past for now...On to the present and future

As mentioned, I'm doing a winter project to the underside of the car and I finally got round to starting it this weekend.
So first things first...Bumpers off:

I thought the rear bumper felt a bit heavy...

Both sides were FULL of dirt, gravel and god knows what else. When I emptied it out there was at least 5kg of crap in there.

Rear heat shield off...Amazed none of the bolts snapped but I think this is beyond salvageable...

So car jacked up, wheels and exhaust off:

Exhaust pipe from cat back...It looks custom made but has clearly seen better days:

Count the holes...

4 holes so far...Awesome!
All of them were on the top so they weren't visible until the exhaust had come off. Guess I'll be buying a new one then

Both earth cables snapped at the back...Are they THAT important?!

Undid the HICAS ball joint nuts but have to borrow a splitter from work to take them off. Guess I'll be buying some new ones of those as well since the N/S one is split and loose. Wonder if I feel the difference when it's done?

O/S is ok but I'll do them both anyway:

Bilstein suspension off:

The surface finish is a bit worse for wear and the rubber boots are perished and split, but the actual shock is still fine. Not sure what to do with them....Clean or replace...?

Took the rear bumper bar off and gave the rear a bit of a clean

I took the rear brake calipers off and a couple of other little bits and this is how the underside looks at the moment:

So I've obviously got a lot of work to do and a lot of new parts to buy, but hopefully it will all be worthwhile

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 16-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
NORTHERN IRELAND AREA REP

Drives: Skyline no 7
Club ID#: 8407

Trade Feedback: (82)

View My Pictures
Nice work mate get wire wheel at any scabby bits underneath and make her great again.

Nice work !!!
SMURF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #12

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Cheers bud. The plan is to have all the arms and subframe etc powder coated and then clean the crap off the car, underseal it with Hammerite underbody stuff and replace all the bushes with SuperPro poly bushes that I bought about a year ago.
Already got these ready...

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 30-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #13

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Well I finally got out on the car this weekend and I think it was quite successful...

Subframe off...Clearly needs some TLC

This is what I'm left with. Think I'll be trying to replace the very rusted fuel tank shield but not sure what to use yet.

Not quite sure what this hose is for that's on the N/S. I assume its something to do with the fuel system but haven't had chace to trace it forwards yet. I haven't removed anything from it in this picture, it just goes to nothing...

Next is to strip down all the arms from the subframe and take it all to work to press the old bushes out...She's getting there

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 18-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Country Flag

View My Pictures
Well the car has sadly taken a bit of a back seat recently due to working on the house instead...Boring!

Anyway, I have managed to get a bit done so here's some pictures because we all love pictures

Wishbones/driveshafts and hubs removed from subframe:

I couldn't dismantle these any further at home because that hub nut is crazy tight so I've got to take them in to work to get some man tools on them!

Diff removed from subframe:

Anyone have an idea what these blocks of rubber from the subframe are for?

I was going to try and press the bushes out at work, but fire is much more fun!

Don't think I'll be refitting these anytime soon

So I've just got to remove the metal collar and then I can finally get them to the powder coaters to make them look pretty again

Photobucket Embed Fix
Old 18-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #15

Drives: Spec 1 GTS25t
Club ID#: 25144

Country Flag

Trade Feedback: (1)

View My Pictures
those driveshaft nuts are easy to take off if they were still on the car, just put the handbrake on. ;)
StuartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote