Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will be raising the boost (mechanically) on my R32GTS soon to 0.9bar which I understand is the safe limit for the stock 'toilet bowl' turbo.

My question is whether I need a Fuel Cut Defensor at this boost or some form of AFM to correct the fuel or can the standard ECU cope with this boost increase?

Any opinions welcomed about this or other considerations (>0.9bar perhaps?)

CHeers,
Pad

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
jock your area this one , any comments ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
i may be wrong but thought rb20s had steel turbo ??? may be wrong kock would know .9 bar is probably limit on fueling etc and headgasket perhaps 1 bar correct me if wrong chaps

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I will agree I have heard headgaskets even on the R33 will only survive 1.0 bar of pressure, and i bet the fuelling and ECU map will not support much above .8 bar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the R32 has a ceramic turbo, but I am led to beleive it will take a little more than the on fitted to R33.. hadnt really considered the head gasket TBH...

Cheers,
Pad

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well....

Ok.... Here's what I know.

I've run .9 bar now for 6 months about 50% of the time and nothings blown up.

Only problem is the damn hose from the manifold to the boost gauges (2 of em) keeps splitting or falling off. Prob cos its a 10 year old bit of rubber. I keep cutting off the split part and I have now run out of hose. Time for a new one.

There is a THEORY that the RB20DET we know and love has a steel headgasket as standard. I have heard this from several knowledgeable sources, but am not gonna be the one to test it personally.

RE the turbo, I've hit 1.1 a few times whilst setting up the controller, and while it still runs fine, My arse was a twitchin'.

I've got a spare turbo here in the flat and I must say it spins VERY freely, which makes me curious about what bearings are in it. And the turbine doesn't look too ceramic to me either.

Again, thats my hint and theory, which could be wrong.

The stock R32 blower will handle more than an R33 I have also heard, as will the head and gaskets. Dunno why, but there you have it. 500cc smaller engine, but more bang!

Don't use a bleed valve, get a decent controller. I use a Profec 'A'. Not as user friendly or easy to set up as the 'B', but better if you get it to 'learn' properly.

I have also heard from some guys downunder that over 1 bar is a 'safe' limit. Over that, they reckon bad things will happen in time unless your engine is PERFECTLY maintained, with super sweet quality oil etc.

At the end of the day, who knows whats in your car though. Is it standard mechanically? I've seen 8000rpm and slightly above and still no limiter. Standard ECU too. Likewise, .9 bar on standard ecu. With regular resets.
I richened things up a bit with an A'Pexi S-AFC just to be on the safe side, but haven't yet seen a boost/fuel cut.

Could waffle on and on, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can maybe help.

BTW... If you are setting it mechanically, try and do it on a cold day, or adjust her for the winter, cos while an electronic controller will set the boost regardless, a mechanical bleed adjustment on a hot summers day to .9 bar will lead to a bit more on a cold winters night I think you'll find. Denser air.

Hope some of this helps. There are so many urban myths about RB20 blocks I have heard that its kinda hard to distil some truth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting stuff.

When I say I am going to raise the boost mechanically I dont mean by a bleed valve as I am aware of the problems. I plan to use a grainger valve which cannot spike and holds boost very well.

My car is mechanically standard, right down to the filter and exhaust but I have got a cat back system waiting to go on. I really cannot afford AFM's and EBC's at the moment (wedding looming large) so I really need to keep it within the parameters of the standard engine....

I am pretty sure the internals are OK to well over 1 bar..
Turbo seems good for 0.9-1bar
ECU seems good upto 0.9 bar

So I reckon I will play it safe at 0.9bar. I take it that this with a filter and zorst will give me a noticable kick up the arse will it??

CHeers for the info,
Pad

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Oh yes....

Stick on an a'pexi power induction cone and a decent zorst, wind up .9 bar and she'll fly!

Just keep an eye on the tailpipe. You want it black and sooty. It should be fine without tweaking the fuelling, but better to be safe!

·
Registered
554 Posts
mines black and sooty....perhaps it's all the pop's I get around 3800rpm.lol
I'm using a cheaper induction from Invo.....works well for me and sound sweeeeeeet..........
still wainting on a Greddy Profec B II...my m8 say he can get a discount............but I'm still waiting.......
Jock what bhp you getting outta her???????

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
ps...

pad.. at .9 bar you will REALLY notice it when the boost comes on. Still catches me out how fast she goes thru the revs from just under 4000 in lower gears.

Higher gears (4 and 5) have fairly long ratios so still take a while to get thru, but up to 3rd its bloody quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi newbie here i have got a 1993 r32 gtst it has got a hks superpower flow kakimoto zorst, blitz bov and i have a tomei ecu and i run on shell optimax, i am fitting a hks evc5 boost controller tomorrow and am going to run it at 1 bar does anyone have any advise ? cheers stev

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Nicely dug up there newbie. No 'USE THE SEARCH BUTTON' s for you! :)

Not sure exactly what you are asking though? If it's about the boost levels then i would say although this thread would seem to indicate otherwise i would say not set your high boost to more than 0.9. Maybe have the every day level set at about 0.7.

C

·
0 Posts
hi newbie here i have got a 1993 r32 gtst it has got a hks superpower flow kakimoto zorst, blitz bov and i have a tomei ecu and i run on shell optimax, i am fitting a hks evc5 boost controller tomorrow and am going to run it at 1 bar does anyone have any advise ? cheers stev
I'd get some Splitfires and good spark plugs. At high boost and high rpm you might find your plugs breaking down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nicely dug up?! I'll say.... I sold my car 3 years ago! :(

wasnt expecting an email from this forum today, thats for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts