5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol :)

J

·
0 Posts
On a truck with a rear axle splitter
Showing your age there Buster :dance:

As for the original question - NOPE not in a car.

if the question was general, then yes ...

Spicer made a 10 speed box for the Leyland Roatrain amongst others.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm indeed. High /Low ?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wasn't in a box, but an old Raleigh Activator of mine had 10 speed..!! :D :D

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Watch the car chase in Bullet with Steve Macqueen i think hes got a 24 speed box in his Mustang.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but what torque it has, drop your engine in my car anyday for the pod :)

J

·
0 Posts
Good box that one andy (3+3 with splitter) ;)

Well, good until you go for 4th position :funny:

I had it on my last permanent job driving in '96 in an F10 - times have moved on though & the iSHIFT looks a stunning bit of equipment (never will drive one, bit like smoking - if I start again, I will make it a habit :wtf: )

Another post successfully hijacked ! -- I better behave before I cop a load from a mod ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
range change,splitter ah the days....now its all that leccy stuff like eps,i shift and the zf as tronic etc

A

·
0 Posts
try an old Daf with a 4 slap over 4 box and a splitter, on steel :funny: learnt to drive in one of them

J

·
0 Posts
range change,splitter ah the days
How times change !!

I started driving them in 81 & a lot of the kit on the roads then still had constant mesh It's a real shame that the younger guys coming into the game will never experience the fun of learning to use the old boxes ....... 9 & 13 speed fullers, 12 speed fodens, spicer, & even the more recent eaton twin splitter is finished :(

Volvo & Scania have a lot to answer for ......... they made trucks into the big cars they are today, but although I could probably still drive any one of the above now, I think I would rather suffer an XF with astronic or FH with iSHIFT :funny:

I brought a mickey mouse foden home from a show for a mate last year & my 18 year old son was absolutely gobsmaked that it had 4 on the floor & 3 positions on the dash to give it the 12 gears, took me a mile or two to get in the swing but I loved every second of it -- hands flying everywhere & feet tapdancing to balance the revs ................. proper driving :)

J

·
0 Posts
try an old Daf with a 4 slap over 4 box and a splitter, on steel
what DAF was that Andy ??

From memory ...

2200 / 2300 series had a 6 speed reverse gate box with a 2 speed

2800 / 3300 had the 13 speed fuller

All 95 series had the 16 speed synchro ZF with a rotate & lift collar for split & range. just a few were made with the eaton twin splitter, which I beleive redsheds used (royal mail)

Did they do a slap over ?? My old magnum "toy" I sold last year had the 16 speed slapover & I loved it.

i still reckon the hardest box EVER to use was the 12 speed foden OEM job - absolute ***** & made all the other non synchro's look easy work. Get the timing worng & you got a stop situation :funny:

A

·
0 Posts
was an old H plate (1990) 80cf i think, 16 speed and 2 in reverse

the driving school was out down a load of country lanes which used to be good fun, bouncing about all over the place, thourght i was driving a rolls royce when i got a volvo with air :funny:

·
Registered
639 Posts
been driving trucks for 22 yrs of various makes from rigids,artics and even the odd wagon and drag....at the moment im stuck in an 18 tonne merc rigid nice 6 speed box with a company ive been with for 15 yrs but now trying to get a job where the wife works driving vans.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts