Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing a sub in the boot to add some base to my favorite Neil Sedaka songs and thought you lot may have some ideas on fitting one.

I don't want to lose any boot space (need to get the zimmer frame in) and don't wan't to get too fancy with the install.

What I thought was mount it next to the battery facing the back of the car, with the amp either behind it out of the way or visible in front of the battery (probably the former). Guess it depends on the type of sub but do I need to create a box effect or just fix in a piece of MDF and mount the sub in it? Can you screw into the 'floor' behind the back seat?

I've seen a picture of it done but does anyone have any pics of how it's constructed/fastened in etc?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I got a kenwood powered 10" sub in mine, which I attatched to the carpet in the boot with strong velcro.... Sits in the middle hogging all the space, but can be unplugged and removed in a minute or so. As it has its own amp, all you do is unplug the 8 pin plug and lift it out.

My amp for the other speakers is mounted on the panel behind the rear seats (at the back of the boot), screwed into place out of the way.

Whole setup was fairly simple once I figured out how to remove the seats to run the leads thru.

Could take some pics if you like when I get the car back.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stew

I'm ok with running the wires as i've been there before. Mounting and wiring the amp also a piece of p!ss but I wasn't sure how best to fit the sub.

I had a 15" in a custom box in my Scirocco years ago but the thieving bastids had it away, and that was just dropped in the boot.

Thought about having it all between the rear seats and boot trim panel so it can't be seen. Actually, I need to measure up as it might not even fit...

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Some say that amps and magnets play havoc with the HICAS computer.
So just as Neil is giving it large with "Calander girl " you may shoot off to the shops all unexpected

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm.... My sub and amp are both within about 7" of the HICAS unit in the boot, and even at mega volume (600 watt amp) the HICAS is fine. Just my cagey driving thats the problem.

I was under the impression it was somethin to do with the system on GTR's?

·
Registered
952 Posts
i agree with buster

i know mine is different as i have a BIG sound setup with 2 12" subs but it does play havoc on my hicas, when im driving and my sounds r off its fine but if i turn it on while driving the hicas led appears. doesnt do anything but just comes on. i dont think it troubles the mechanics of the hicas just sets the annoy light off.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other option i've been thinking about is fitting it in the offside rear quarter as there's quite a bit of room in there and I won't lose much boot space. Some people say rear-facing is better for sound reasons but i'm not too bothered about that.

Has anyone got or found any R33 boot install pictures?

Any 10" sub recommendations??

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice car

Yes I do like that, but it's a little more than I'm aiming at. Bet it really kicks eh? Did you do it yourself?

Thing is when you get to my age you start thinking "well I need to be able to get the spare wheel out easily" & "I'm sure someone's going to ask me to pick them up from the airport one day" etc etc. :rolleyes:

Love the Hiper as it sounds great on mine. Is that a sprayed carbon bonnet ? :eek:

·
Registered
952 Posts
hehe

na not a carbon bonnet and at the moment its 132.9db at the windscreen once i cut the parcel shelf and port the sound through ill be hitting about 155. i didnt do the work myself but i can do it if u need a hand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wanna fit my sub in my 32. Trouble is I can't find a hole in the bulk head for the power cable to come through from the engine. Will i need to drill a hole or can you advise??

·
Registered
27 Posts
do not let skyline boy near ur audio he doesnt know one end of the power cable from the other and if his hits 155db then theyll be pigs in the sky

·
Registered
952 Posts
umm

sebbed these figures were actually tested! if u dont feel that it can im more than happy to let u sit in ther car and watch your ears bleed! the install and figures were done by a pro sound install company. any more comments you wish to make?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Registered since june and only 1 post, then its abusive ?

hmmmm, av it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
sebbed

dont mean to sound rude but why u giving it the large when
a: u didnt even give a helpful comment to the guy
b: just decided to TRY and put me down
c:have only done this post since u joined and finally and my favourite one
d: dont even own a bloody jap pocket rocket let alone a skyline rocket!

this thread is about some guy asking for helpful information on fitting a sub and info on installs not to start some issues on my sounds! and believe me if u do want to start issues on my sounds........YOU WILL LOSE

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I just thought it would be better to post a more positive note on your first posting, Sebbed.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, please, be my guest ladies. I'm all for a good fight!

Consider this thread your boxing ring - i'll just stand over here and cheer for the looser :D

Ding Ding...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts