Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i havnt been on here in quite a while, ive got a big power carbon r33 gtr and a daily r32 gtr now.
ive been looking at c10 gtrs for a while but there way beyond what im prepared to pay so ive bought this :
a 1979 datsun 240k skyline
1 owner 69000 miles
i drove it home 150 miles no problem cruising at 55 - 65 and i hadnt actually realised but it was only running on 5 !
my inspiration to buy the car came from seeing jurgens white c211 for sale and loving the style and a similar shell being linked in the thread at a good price.
so here she is how i picked her up on the 11th of november

i bought it in the hope of making something similar to these

if you look closely you will see a datsun badge on the back i removed this and found a skyline badge underneath it !
they used a skyline rear panel and just rebadged it datsun by drilling 4 holes and riveting a datsun badge over the skyline badge ! lol
i have done quite a bit already, it was running on 5 as it had a dead spark plug so fitted new plugs and adjusted the aux air valve and set ignition timing to 17d base.
i removed door mirrors and fitted bullet style fender mirrors and blanked door holes with nissan badges.
the rear lights were awful and a mint set of proper chrome taillights was around £1200 what i could find ! i refuse to pay that for lights so i made an led rear light set up for £90 with stop tail and indicator on the outsides, fog and reverse on the inside with some venta led 5" commercial led lights, and i made a custom aluminium plate to install them in the original housing.
i used an r32 gtr veilside rear box i had laying around and fabricated the mounts and adaptor to fit it.
put proper import plates on, lowered it approx 50mm at the front and 80mm at the back. ordered skyline rear quarter badges, c10 gtr arch fenders and front and rear spoilers. also ordered a boss to fit my momo steering wheel. picked up some 7j - 31 14" slot mags with new pirelli tyres on and painted them black.
rear arches had to be completely cut out to fit the arch extensions its all been fully seam welded inner to outer arch.
im now waiting on 35mm rear spacers and 10mm front spacers to make the wheels fill the arch better.

im still deciding on what colour to paint the spoilers its either the blue of the car or black im not sure yet ?

thats about as far as ive got so far and heres a few pics i took yesterday of the progress so far.

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
Oh Yes!! It's looking really good mate, great to see you've done a good job on the back lights:)
I seem to remember my Dad's 1973 240K having a Matt black back end with a 240K GT badge?
Great project:cheers:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Lovin that! Really wan to do an old Skool build but agave a load of other project on the go ATM. Once the R1 powered go cart and the GSXR powered mini are finished......

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the kind comments everyone, i am really enjoying the project so far.

it will be nice to have something abit special and super rare

·
Forum Police
177 Posts
This is looking good! So much love for all of the old Skylines and Datsuns!

Its amazing what difference the little work you have done has made to the car already. I read LED lights in your write up and thought oh my god what has he done, but they look really good, you did a great job of them

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the kind comments.
next up is momo steering wheel, prep and paint the arches gloss black, fit front spoiler and paint both spoilers black and prep and paint both outer sills in blue as they are crappy where ive taken the trim off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so nice that car its that car that gave me the inspiration to buy mine.

well i have touched the old girl up and black gloss painted the extra body panels, shes far from perfect just tidyed up a little for now bearing in mind im no painter or body panels man, i may get it repainted in white im not sure yet, just tidyed up rough for now so i can use it a little as soon as the dry weather is here.

im am happy with how she looks its come together well imo considereing the budget.

its very dirty/dusty in the workshop and the car is filthy and desperately needs a wash and polish but i wont do that til its abit warmer, but took a few pics anyways.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool indeed. Love the changes you have made so far.:)
thanks, ive ordered some chrome side stripeing now, it had a side strip along the sill, im gonna leave the wing as i have a nissan badge covering the mount bolt and just run a strip along the sill below the door 26mm tall, i think the chrome will help break the black a bit, a black strip will be too much imo.

·
gizzard snatcher
172 Posts
awesome dude. i must start working on mine again. i have a black one but stuck it in the garage to do a quick repair and it ended up with no engine, a basic roll cage, masses of rust removal and repairing, s13 steering rack, hubs, brakes and coilovers, with a rb25de engine ready to drop in.

loving yours, get some smaller tires on it and get it low. looks mint though, nice job on the rear lights, im using 84 corvette lenses with holes cut in and little lights fitted inside. mission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts